View Full Version : What are you working to use your training for?

FSWer
02-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Say,I don't think this has ever been discussed. But what are all our On Ice Skaters here working to aventually use their training for? Are you working to use it to....

flo
02-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi,
Not aiming for famous, but to be a happy pair and interpretive skater.
I'd love to skate on a pond someday, or on the canals in Canada.

jazzpants
02-17-2009, 10:42 AM
My real answer is to have fun on the ice, but given the hassling comments I still get for skating regularly at a public skate, I've checked the "to be a better skater at a public skate" just to poke a bit of fun at those people...

Okay, you guys, you partially won the battle on getting Jazzpants to skate less on public skate... Now that I'm gainfully unemployed :cry: I try to make the emptier public skate on my lesson days with my primary coach and go to more FS sessions to do my runthrus. I still allow myself the once a week public session "social skate." Just want to hang out with my skating buddies, the speed skater/hockey player ice guard, the occasional "casual" hockey or male figure skater that I've had close encounters with (NOOOOO... not what you think... I almost crash into them... :oops: )

I look forward to the day that I can do consistent axels at these public sessions...like kander!!! :bow: :lol:

Tessbot
02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I skate to get more out of physics. I do new stuff to figure out how the physics works when I skate. I've pretty much been using physics to teach myself how to skate, and it makes me feel happy when I figure out how it works.

Skittl1321
02-17-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't really have an answer. It's just "to become a better skater" but certainly not at Public Skate- I'm TERRIFIED of public skates now. way too out of control.

phoenix
02-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I want to become a very good skater who truly understands skating.

I'm mainly training to test because I WANT that gold dance medal!!!

And at the same time, I want to be able to coach higher levels too.

AgnesNitt
02-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey, you left out:
TO BECOME A BETTER FIGURES SKATER!

teresa
02-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm "training" to become a better skater and to challenge myself as an individual. My big goal in skating is to see what my personal best can be.

teresa

jazzpants
02-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Hey, you left out:
TO BECOME A BETTER FIGURES SKATER!
Or how about "For the challenge?" Now THAT's where I really am. I want to see how far this OLD cranky body can go in skating. I want to see now if I will ever land that elusive AXEL clean and whether or not I can get that nice Adult Gold pin for moves and FS... :bow:

Rusty Blades
02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
I am already a "famous Freestyler"!

CoachPA
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm using my training for coaching, which I've been doing for 8+ years. I love being able to pass on my love for this sport and share the things I've learned with others to help them get grow as skaters.

Mrs Redboots
02-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I am already a "famous Freestyler"!Me too - well, perhaps INfamous might be the word....

And it's skating or boring myself silly in the gym - no contest, really!

SkaterBird
02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't really have an answer. It's just "to become a better skater" but certainly not at Public Skate- I'm TERRIFIED of public skates now. way too out of control.

I skate for the joy of it, to get a little better at it, and because when I manage a good spin (love spins, hate jumping) I feel like I've conquered the world. Sort of.

I'm not too keen on public skating sessions any more either. Kids (preteens or teenaged boys, mainly) playing tag and showing off, school-aged kids throwing their hockey gloves, and no rink monitors in sight. Dangerous, especially for the littlest kids.

sk8lady
02-18-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm using my training for coaching, which I've been doing for 8+ years. I love being able to pass on my love for this sport and share the things I've learned with others to help them get grow as skaters.

Ditto.

Doesn't hurt that it keeps me from gaining weight and keeps my blood pressure down, either (except when my lessons get canceled...).

SkaterBird
02-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Ditto.

Doesn't hurt that it keeps me from gaining weight and keeps my blood pressure down, either (except when my lessons get canceled...).

Hee! I wish!

Rusty Blades
02-19-2009, 10:26 AM
Me too - well, perhaps INfamous might be the word....

And it's skating or boring myself silly in the gym - no contest, really!

Now, now, let us not be prefixing that "in-" to famous. You know full well that the majority of us ("older"?) adult skaters are "a little different" so you can not be claiming "infamous" unless you can prove you you are significantly more weird than the rest of us! ;)

The one advantage of being an "older" competitive skater is that the field grows progressively smaller and eventually "fame" comes from being the last one standing. ROFLMAO!

LilJen
02-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Or how about "For the challenge?" Now THAT's where I really am. I want to see how far this OLD cranky body can go in skating. I want to see now if I will ever land that elusive AXEL clean and whether or not I can get that nice Adult Gold pin for moves and FS... :bow:

I'm with you, jazz. There's just something about the challenge of various goals and milestones that's satisfying and drives me. Plus the nearly-40 body, seeing what it can do.

Rob Dean
02-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Keeping myself motivated for exercise doesn't seem to be on the list, although I'm not the first to mention it. :) Gotta love showing up at a 30 year high school reunion weighing less that you did when you graduated, and 90% of that was due to skating...