View Full Version : double sal help?

peanutskates
02-15-2009, 01:47 PM
I get 1.5 rotations on 2sal. My main problems are:
-feet not crossed (just side by side)
-0.5 underrotated
-free leg doesn't swing through
-not enough height

How can I fix these? Do you have any good tips for 2sal, off ice exercises or things to think about, etc? I have a consistent axel, and a good sal/backspin and sal/loop. No other doubles, and I jump CW.

Thanks =)

kander
02-15-2009, 11:28 PM
-0.5 underrotated
-not enough height

How can I fix these? Do you have any good tips for 2sal, off ice exercises or things to think about, etc? I have a consistent axel, and a good sal/backspin and sal/loop. No other doubles, and I jump CW.

Thanks =)

Do you have any mpegs of one of your double sals? It would help to see it. One thing you mentioned about not bringing the free leg through would contribute to a lack of height.

Kevin

CoachPA
02-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Are your feet crossed on your axel? You say your axel is consistent, but are your feet consistently side-by-side? If so, that's likely carrying over to the double sal.

-0.5 underrotated
Are you breaking out early with the arms, for instance? Sometimes that lack of committment to stay in causes the underrotation.

If that's not the case, then are you taking off forward completely off the toe pick? You may need to simply wait longer on your back inside edge before jumping.

This may be causing the underrotation as well since you may be jumping around--or rather, outside your self (axis) instead of up.

Do you ever feel your upper body get ahead of your lower body?

-not enough height

Again, I'd attribute this to not waiting until you are forward before taking off.

As kander wonders, do you have a video? It's so hard to make a call as to what's going wrong and then make appropriate suggestions without actually seeing your double sal. I can give you better advice after seeing your jump.

TreSk8sAZ
02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
For height (and I have seen your videos on Youtube) make sure you hold the back inside edge. You seem to be forcing the jump by kicking your leg through rather than letting the BI edge come around far enough to pop up on its own. It's all about timing, and I think it's partly a matter of your free leg coming around too soon.