View Full Version : New boots rubbing

fsk8r
02-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Ok, I've finally gotten around to getting new dance boots, and am having to go through the whole breaking in thing again. I don't remember it even being painful before, but I have a feeling that I didn't have knee bend before so wouldn't have noticed the difference (but really like having toe point without a back of a boot digging into my calf!).
Anyway, the new boots are rubbing above the ankle but on the outside of the leg. I know I need to get some form of gel pads to sort this out but am getting confused on the websites trying to work out which one I need. I don't think the lace bite ones would work as they look to be more at the front, whereas I'm rubbing at the side of the leg (where the edge of the tongue is). I'm thinking that Jerrys gel tubes might do the trick, but was wondering if they're the best ones, or if there's something else that might do the trick.
Just tried a search of old threads and couldn't find anything (although it doesn't mean that I've not missed the discussion).
Does anyone have any ideas?

amyvw
02-14-2009, 06:51 AM
I have a pair of Bunga gel sleeves and my 12 year old has the silipos sleeves. Both seem identical. Both have held up well. I think the Silipos was cheaper because we bought a 10 inch sleeve and cut it in half.

Amy

patatty
02-14-2009, 07:08 AM
I use the bunga sleeves every time I skate. They work great and are washable. They are a little pricey, but they last a long time and are so worth it. I even suggested them to a friend who was having trouble with her ski boots.

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Some people swear by buying a very cheap pair of sports socks, cutting off the feet, and using the ribbing as a cuff over the top of the skates.

RachelSk8er
02-14-2009, 10:46 AM
I use whatever cheaper bunga pad knockoff my skate shop sells. I only really need them when breaking in new skates, they work well. My only gripe is that they ride up a little when my ankles get sweaty in my skates, but they still cover the areas that need covered.

Sessy
02-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Just taping your feet in those spots with sports tape prior to skating. It may wear off once the boots are broken in, after all. On my Grafs it didn't by the way, so I just kept taping. I thought it was more comfortable than pads. I think the reason it is rubbing there is a seam that they sorta put in a rather misfortunate place, on my boots.

kander
02-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Bunga pads will solve your problem

ibreakhearts66
02-14-2009, 10:06 PM
Gel sleeves alone might not solve the problem, depending on how much the boots rub. I use gel sleeves and a make-up sponge like this (http://www.superdrug.com/content/ebiz/superdrug/invt/233366/233366_l.jpg) underneath, right where it rubs. Or, I just wear footless tights pulled down over my heel with the make-up sponge tucked under those. But usually, a gel sleeve alone won't stop the pain from the rubbing for me, especially if the spot is already rubbed raw from a previous day.

doubletoe
02-14-2009, 11:52 PM
I have a pair of Bunga gel sleeves and my 12 year old has the silipos sleeves. Both seem identical. Both have held up well. I think the Silipos was cheaper because we bought a 10 inch sleeve and cut it in half.

Amy

Yep! Both are identical, Silipos are cheaper, and it sounds like either would solve your problem. Try the ankle sleeves first, and if those don't work, try something else under the top of the boot (I use the gel disks if I need to pad a specific spot). BTW, don't put moisturizer/lotion on your ankle area before skating, since that will make your ankles slippery when you sweat during skating, and could make them ride up inside your boots.

fsk8r
02-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Yep! Both are identical, Silipos are cheaper, and it sounds like either would solve your problem. Try the ankle sleeves first, and if those don't work, try something else under the top of the boot (I use the gel disks if I need to pad a specific spot). BTW, don't put moisturizer/lotion on your ankle area before skating, since that will make your ankles slippery when you sweat during skating, and could make them ride up inside your boots.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like the consensus is the gel sleeves. It's good to know that all makes are the same. I've heard of bunga and silipos, but unfortunately being in the UK we don't have many skate shops and so you can't just pop in for a cheap knockoff. I can however, just search the internet for what I need now I know what to look for.

I like the idea of the makeup sponge for extra padding. I'll remember that if the gel doesn't work. But I suspect, like Sessy says, that this is just the breaking in period and once i've molded the tongue to my leg the rubbing will stop (incidentally I've heard of someone else saying about the seam on the graf boots causing problems).

And I'd love to know who has time to moisturise their legs before skating, I'm normally in such a hurry to get to the rink, that it's as much to find a bag of clothes and a pair of skates.

Kay
02-16-2009, 11:43 AM
SILIPOS GEL!!!!

I had the exact same problem with my skating - they irritated my ankle at the top of my boots, later/outer side where my tongue met the boot. In the space of a week of breaking in my first pair of stiffer boots like 10 years ago, I would come off the ice bleeding, and could not continue, as in would pour blood out of skated into the garbage can. With Silipos gel socks, the problem completed disappeared.

To this day, I cannot wear my broken-in skates without my Silipos. It is worth every penny.

(To take care of them, when you get off the ice, simply sprinkle baby powder on the inside, mix it around, and you're good to go - they will last for a long time.)

fsk8r
02-16-2009, 01:26 PM
SILIPOS GEL!!!!

I had the exact same problem with my skating - they irritated my ankle at the top of my boots, later/outer side where my tongue met the boot. In the space of a week of breaking in my first pair of stiffer boots like 10 years ago, I would come off the ice bleeding, and could not continue, as in would pour blood out of skated into the garbage can. With Silipos gel socks, the problem completed disappeared.

To this day, I cannot wear my broken-in skates without my Silipos. It is worth every penny.

(To take care of them, when you get off the ice, simply sprinkle baby powder on the inside, mix it around, and you're good to go - they will last for a long time.)

Sounds like I'm going to have to start searching the internet for a friendly skate supplier who won't charge the earth to post to the UK. Why can't skate shops over here sell these things?!

doubletoe
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like the consensus is the gel sleeves. It's good to know that all makes are the same. I've heard of bunga and silipos, but unfortunately being in the UK we don't have many skate shops and so you can't just pop in for a cheap knockoff. I can however, just search the internet for what I need now I know what to look for.

I like the idea of the makeup sponge for extra padding. I'll remember that if the gel doesn't work. But I suspect, like Sessy says, that this is just the breaking in period and once i've molded the tongue to my leg the rubbing will stop (incidentally I've heard of someone else saying about the seam on the graf boots causing problems).

And I'd love to know who has time to moisturise their legs before skating, I'm normally in such a hurry to get to the rink, that it's as much to find a bag of clothes and a pair of skates.

Me! Ha ha! I always have a hot shower in the morning before skating because it gets all the kinks out. I have very dry skin so I put lotion on my arms and legs but have to remember to stop right around where the top of my boots will be. :p BTW, you might want to look at some medical supply places for the gel ankle sleeves, preferably a place that sells orthotic supplies.