View Full Version : Would you fire this coach?

Alleycat
02-10-2009, 12:55 PM
My daughters coach was great last year...this year she maybe has worked with her an hour all season. the last competition my daughter was unprepared due to lack of coaching...and the only reason she did well at all was another coach helped her.

Another competition is comming up and I was going to fire her and go with the coach that helped my daughter last time, but then the coach called me and fed me a bunch of bs and said she would start working with her..it has been 2 weeks and nothing.

I think my daughter will be unprepared again....and the other kids are getting an hour a week to practice their solo's with the other coach..my daughter doesn't even know her solo yet??

Stormy
02-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Have you discussed with the coach why she hasn't been working with your daughter? It sounds like a lack of communication on both sides. You need to have a frank discussion with this coach about a lesson schedule. I wouldn't change coaches just yet, but it sounds like you haven't been proactive in anything.

herniated
02-10-2009, 01:00 PM
I would definitely work with the other coach. But, I would tell the first coach that's what you are doing and she obviously doesn't have any time for your daughter.

I do agree with Stormy, but it seems like the coach called you and "fed you a bunch of bs"? What did she say? Did she give any excuse?

Alleycat
02-10-2009, 01:03 PM
The last time we discussed it was 2 weeks ago and she said she would start working with her but shows up and only works with one student the whole time her favorite skater. Another parent has already fired her due to the lack of coaching for her daughter also.

I told her she can give her as many lessons as she can and they are one the ice 3 times a week together and she doesn't work with her at all. She sent an older kid over to teach my daughter last time. I am not paying someone not qualified to teach my daughter.

When she called me she said she had been really busy, I only think she called me to smooth things over as it was the same day the other mother fired her

herniated
02-10-2009, 01:07 PM
If you don't want to ditch her maybe be really specific with her. Like, 'What time and what day/s can you teach my daughter?' If she gives you a wishy washy answer then ditch her. Sounds like she's already wishy, washy.

Alleycat
02-10-2009, 01:09 PM
I appreciate your input...and I did email her and was specific asking how much time and what days ....but unfortunately she hasn't responded...she probably doesn't know what to say.

Stormy
02-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I still think you haven't been specific enough in your needs, though. Saying, work with her whenever isn't good enough. Saying, you will give her a lesson Mondays at 3:30 is better. You never set up a specific schedule with her. If you can't get something like that set up, then start working with the coach that has time for her. BUT, when you do start working with the new coach, again, set up specific lesson times. Communication is key! Letting two weeks go by watching the first coach give your daughter no lessons without saying anything isn't good.

ETA: Just saw above response. Why haven't you sat down at the rink and talked to her? E-mail is just letting her ignore you.

Alleycat
02-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Your absolutly right but unfortunately with her coach you cannot be specific as she also has a full time job...which is probably a big part of the problem...sometime she show up late or not at all. The other coach...coaching is her full time job...and she can be there when ever you would like.

Stormy
02-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Your absolutly right but unfortunately with her coach you cannot be specific as she also has a full time job...which is probably a big part of the problem...sometime she show up late or not at all. The other coach...coaching is her full time job...and she can be there when ever you would like.

I have a full time job too, but I am at the rink when I say I will be for my students. Even with a full time job, this coach should be able to still have a schedule at the rink where her other job does not interfere.

It sounds like you need to go with the other coach. However, when you tell the first coach about the switch, make sure it's kind and professional. Just say the other coach has more availability. Don't let her make any excuses, be polite but firm.

CoachPA
02-10-2009, 01:21 PM
My daughters coach was great last year...this year she maybe has worked with her an hour all season. the last competition my daughter was unprepared due to lack of coaching...and the only reason she did well at all was another coach helped her.

What you've said above leads me to wonder a few things.

First, is there something going on in your coach's life/career that may have affected her ability to teach your daughter as often as she did last year. Perhaps there's more going on with her than you're aware of. (I'm just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt here.)

I saw this exact same situation with a coach at my rink. She "dropped" several of her students by not showing up for lessons, cancelling at the last minute, and slowly passing them on to other coaches. Her reason was due to the fact that she was finishing up her PhD in pharmaceuticals and simply did not have the time to committ to coaching.

Secondly, is your current coach aware that another coach helped your daughter prepare for her competitions? If not, you're borderlining on an ethical issue (http://www.skatepsa.com/PDF%20Documents/What%20are%20Solicitation,Promotion%20and%20Tamper ing.pdf) here. Since I obviously do not know all the details, I'm not in the position to pass any judgements about this coach or your decision; rather, I'd caution you to be careful.

Another competition is comming up and I was going to fire her and go with the coach that helped my daughter last time, but then the coach called me and fed me a bunch of bs and said she would start working with her..it has been 2 weeks and nothing.

I agree with others that you need to sit down with this coach--in person, not on the phone or via e-mail--and have a frank discussion about what you expect in a coach, what may be causing your coach's lack of committment and communication, etc. Don't jump the gun quite yet; talk with her and see how this whole thing plays out.

I think my daughter will be unprepared again....and the other kids are getting an hour a week to practice their solo's with the other coach..my daughter doesn't even know her solo yet??

You have very vaild concerns, which I would inform your current coach about.

Perhaps give her an ultimatum. I understand that you probably don't have all that much time before your daughter's competition, so I'd be concise, polite, and to the point with her current coach. Give her a deadline, and if you don't see any response or attempt to change her habits, then take the next step, whatever you feel is best for your daughter.

I told her she can give her as many lessons as she can and they are one the ice 3 times a week together and she doesn't work with her at all. She sent an older kid over to teach my daughter last time. I am not paying someone not qualified to teach my daughter.

Again, a very vaild concern. Be sure to let her know that you are paying for her time, not another skater's.

Also, does your daughter have a set lesson slot during which she is to have her lesson? If so, then what is this coach doing during that time? If not, perhaps you can work something out.

momof3chicks
02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
I have a full time job too, but I am at the rink when I say I will be for my students. Even with a full time job, this coach should be able to still have a schedule at the rink where her other job does not interfere.

It sounds like you need to go with the other coach. However, when you tell the first coach about the switch, make sure it's kind and professional. Just say the other coach has more availability. Don't let her make any excuses, be polite but firm.

Yes, this sounds ridiculous. We have a set schedule for lessons with both of my dd's coaches.

Alleycat
02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
She is well aware of the other coach helping my daughter on the last competition...she didn't even show up for the team elements ...so the other coach was there for my daughter.

The way it works in our club is my daughter has one coach during Ice time in a group setting you then can choose to keep her for private lessons or use the other coach.

The coach we have right now spends 90 percent of her time with 1 skater. Which is fine if you only want to coach her but I have asked her several time to be honest with me if she doesn't have time for my daughter. I didn`t pick this coach...she found me and asked to coach my daughter. I was new in town and after seeing my daughter skate she approached me....I was also new to the sport and didn`t know any better.

Also my daughter asked her if she was going to work with her and she said in a few minutes and then didn`t my daughter was very upset by that.

CoachPA
02-10-2009, 01:42 PM
She is well aware of the other coach helping my daughter on the last competition...she didn't even show up for the team elements ...so the other coach was there for my daughter.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The way it works in our club is my daughter has one coach during Ice time in a group setting you then can choose to keep her for private lessons or use the other coach.

I see.

Well, I think you've answered your own question as to whether or not you should drop your daughter's unreliable coach.

The coach we have right now spends 90 percent of her time with 1 skater. Which is fine if you only want to coach her but I have asked her several time to be honest with me if she doesn't have time for my daughter. I didn`t pick this coach...she found me and asked to coach my daughter. I was new in town and after seeing my daughter skate she approached me....I was also new to the sport and didn`t know any better.

From what you've told us, this coach does not seem very professional. She is consistently unreliable (well, at least she's consistent with something, right?), lacks good communication skills, and apparently finds nothing wrong with soliciting students.

Also my daughter asked her if she was going to work with her and she said in a few minutes and then didn`t my daughter was very upset by that.

If you're daughter is not happy with your current coaching situation, I think it's time you make the switch. As Stormy suggested, be kind and professional, and don't beat around the bush. Pay off any bills you owe the current coach then move on.

Alleycat
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
thanks so much for you advice it really helps....I feel that I am making the right decision and doing what is best for my daughter but I do feel bad about it.

Stormy
02-10-2009, 01:47 PM
You are defintiely doing the right thing for your daughter, she'll get the coaching and attention she deserves. :)

CoachPA
02-10-2009, 01:52 PM
thanks so much for you advice it really helps....I feel that I am making the right decision and doing what is best for my daughter but I do feel bad about it.

Don't let this eat you up inside. It seems as though you've exhausted every avenue in trying to resolve this issue, and this coach obviously does not feel "bad" or guilty about the way she's been brushing off your daughter. Your daughter will thank you in the long run. :)

As a skating parent, your job is to support your daughter, morally and financially. There's no way I'd continue to pay someone who lacks the kind of respect and maturity that is required between a coach and his/her student.

As a coach, I am technically "employed" by my skaters and their parents. Like in any other profession, part of my responsibility is to keep my employer(s) happy. I don't think your coach understands that.

slusher
02-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I had a coach like that..... who is still like that,...