View Full Version : Ultima Lite blades

mintypoppet
02-10-2009, 04:22 AM
My MK Pro blades are coming to the end of their life, and I'm trying to choose between another pair of MK Pros or switching to Ultima Lites. I can't find any reviews of Ultima Lite blades - does anyone have any experience with them, and would they recommend them or not?

I have to admit that the attraction is more than a little superficial - they are pretty. However, I'm very good at standing on my tails or catching them in my instep (I also wear dance blades), and the different shape of the UL blade and the sloped tail suggest that might be less of an issue.

My biggest concern is about switching from a 7' to an 8' rocker, and the impact it may have on my spins and footwork, but my coach considers the change in rocker to be a non-issue. I hope she is right!

skatersmama
02-12-2009, 01:27 AM
DD has had these blades for a few years. She thinks their great (cause they look cool) . I think they have made her spinning different (worse) as she used to be able to spin without travelling, but may not be the blades at all as she has "matured" since she got them, which could be causing the travelling. Who knows.

Anyways, we purchaced a new pair of these blades last year and are having to replace them as one blade will not hold it's sharpening. The 1st set we purchaced lasted about 2 skating seasons.

Hope this helps.

p.s. also have heard of a blade breaking (not my dd) but I suppose that could happen with any blade.

saras
02-12-2009, 06:40 AM
My MK Pro blades are coming to the end of their life, and I'm trying to choose between another pair of MK Pros or switching to Ultima Lites.

My biggest concern is about switching from a 7' to an 8' rocker, and the impact it may have on my spins and footwork, but my coach considers the change in rocker to be a non-issue. I hope she is right!

I switched from a 7ft rocker (phantom) to an 8 foot a few years ago (ultima matrix FS blade). I *love* it. The "flow" you get from one push is noticeably different - it's more/bigger. Spins took a while to get used to but I managed. MIF and edges were better - and it felt almost like I could easily glide from one end of the rink to the other with less "work" than in 7 foot rockers.

At the time, I figured that dozens of high-level skaters managed to spin just fine in 8 foot rockers so it was a matter of technique on my end ;)

it was a non-issue for jumps.

This was my experience - your mileage may vary :)

mintypoppet
02-12-2009, 06:57 AM
skatersmama - that is useful to know. I have indeed heard that these blades aren't suitable for heavier or more powerful skaters. I'm 110lbs and only just working on my axel, so I would hope they would stand up to that sort of treatment. My spins go through months-long phases of travelling and centering, so that sounds familiar!

saras - your experience sounds exactly like my reasoning, which is reassuring to hear. My spins will adjust eventually - they have improved a lot this year anyway - and I'm definitely after more flow. My FS blades feel like skating through treacle compared to my dance blades! I hope I have as good an experience with them as you did.

I think I'll take a gamble and go for them. If it turn out to be a mistake, I'll know better next time, and return to the MK Pros. Thanks for the opinions!