View Full Version : Twizzle or fizzle 2/9 - 2/14

flo
02-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Having reached the footwork section of our program, we've had both.

Twizzle: our footwork section is very ambitious from end to end. Fun, but tricky.

Fizzle: My knees!

Petlover
02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Twizzle: Swing rolls were pretty good this morning, and spins felt great.

Fizzle: Not feeling so good, was congested all weekend, thought I felt better this morning, but lots of Monday blues to get past.

jazzpants
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Fizzle:

Took me a good 15-20 minutes warmup (before lesson) before I was finally able to do a sit spin low enough that primary coach was happy with it. Then it was HOLDING the position for 4 rev. (I know... I'm supposed to do 3 but well, better safe than sorry...) Yes, I know the gripe about how come we can't have 15 minute warmups before our events. I TOTALLY AGREE!!! We older people need it for our joints!!! :lol: :P
I did managed to get in a decent 4 rev sit spin, but I'm doubtful that it would count under IJS since it's not low enough... BLAH!!!
Loop, Flip and Lutz was on and off...
Coach is NOT happy with me suggesting that I do a 3 turn after landing my flip to do a back crosso stroke to get in some speed. Yes, the intention WAS to FORCE me to do a flip, land and glide with flow... *sigh* :roll: (Looks like a job for SUPER secondary coach to fix...ta da-da DAAAAAH!!!!) But he did agree on letting do the same on the sit spin, just b/c he really wants a good sit spin in there.

Twizzle:
Loop, Flip and lutz was on and off... the fact that I was able to get SOME loops in was very good news for me... my lower back is recovering!!! :bow: (Just have to keep up with my regiment of doing the foam roller in addition to stretching before I skate.)

Primary coach suggests that I take a WARM shower to loosen up before I come to the rink to skate. (Any one of you guys with joint problems tell me if this works? I know at least ONE skater who does this.)

singerskates
02-09-2009, 10:21 PM
For some of us it's not a good idea to take a shower right before skating; skaters with asthma. But what about stepping into a sauna at the gym for a few minutes to stretch out our muscles before heading to the rink?

One thing that worked for me this winter was having to shovel my way to the car because we had over a foot of snow in one snow fall and I don't have boots. Had to shovel the porch, sidewalk, driveway and the street where my car was parked. By the time I was done, I was so hot even though it was really cold out. It made stretching at the rink easy and quick and my skating improved because of it.

But lately, I've been using my skipping rope in the change room to warm up. I think next time I might try doing off ice jumps in the change room too because I seem to warm up faster doing jumps than skipping.

Another time, I was washing the floor at home and that got my body hot. I stetched as soon as the foor was clean and the dirty water was disposed and then headed to the rink. Good skate that day too.

But lately I've been stuck on my computer doing music editing right before skating and well, my legs and muscles were really stiff. I had a hard time getting my leg up high enough in my spirals for them to count as spirals in CPC or what ever you want to call it. My sit has been suffering too because I haven't been getting as low as I could if I weren't so stiff. And this is with skipping in the change room before getting on the ice.

SkaterBird
02-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Twizzle: I managed a little bitty INSIDE 3 turn on each side. Itty bitty ones, and my form was atrocious, but at least I managed the actual turn in each direction on one foot, which is a BIG improvement.

Fizzle: My waltz 8. Uncooperative little critter, that.

hanca
02-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Twizzle: I just passed level 2 elements! That feels good.

No Fizzle today.

sk8lady
02-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Twizzle: I just passed level 2 elements! That feels good.

No Fizzle today.

Congrats!!

Twizzle: Pretty good lesson yesterday. Started working on figures yesterday. Really interesting--not sure if I'll really be able to test them--I was thinking about doing the Prelimary in April but we may not have ice after March--but it was neat to work on them a little and coach got so excited! Asked her to show me a serpentine as I wasn't quite understanding what they were and she did about fifty.
Also, loop came relatively easily and did one flip that was close enough that coach thought it was completed (sadly, I had to point out the little tail on the end--toe was not pointed and I landed flat on the blade sounding, to myself, like a giant elephant in figure skates!).

Fizzle: Feeling disappointed and left out as other adult skaters at the rink are all preparing for competitions and/or tests and I am doing nothing. Coach decided not to go away this week after all so I actually had 3 consecutive lessons for the first time all year, but my program is not presentable.

AnnM
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Twizzle: The Silver MITF three-turn patterns were looking pretty good last night, as were backward power pulls.

Fizzle: My coach had me play around with brackets. I can't quite wrap my head around those back inside brackets. I feel like there are arms and legs everywhere when I try to do those.

doubletoe
02-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Fizzle
This morning it was really cold (OK, not to you folks in the Dakotas, but to us here in Southern California where anything below 50 is 8O), I hadn't gotten enough sleep and I was hormonal. I felt sorry for my coach. :roll:

Twizzle
Considering the above, I somehow squeezed out a program run-through. I don't know how I did it because my legs turned to rubber not long after the halfway point. Miraculously, I actually completed every element in the program but one!

Fizzle
Pretty much describes the one element I didn't complete. I got up on the second axel and fully rotated it but then didn't have enough energy to actually land it. So I 2-footed and sat down instead. :?? In retrospect, it would have taken a lot less energy just to land it instead of sitting down, getting back up and scrambling to get back on track...

icedancer2
02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Twizzle

Got on the ice again today for the 2nd time since my spinal fracture diagnosis -- have decided to try for once a week for a little while just to keep it going. After last week's skate I tried to do too much and dearly paid for it so I've decided to really try to take it easy.

Today felt much better than last week, much less weak, legs were less sore and I was able to do a little more actual skating and not just stroking around. I still don't have the courage to try many turns beyond forward 3s but overall the flow felt really good. I played around with making up a "Creative Figure" for the upcoming figures competition we are having in July.

It's always fun to work with the other skaters and today I helped a friend and her coach go through the Hickory Hoedown - not a favorite of mine but it was fun to work on the technical stuff withi her.

Fizzle

I got tired after about a half-hour and had to take a break. Skated for another 15-minutes and then we were standing around talking and my left calf (well, close to the inside of the knee) started to cramp up - of course I immediately thought I was having a DVT (deep-vascular thrombosis) and got off the ice. After 5 minutes of stretching I was fine - guess it wasn't a DVT...

Skittl1321
02-10-2009, 09:31 PM
Twizzle I did a real loop! From pushes- not just a stand still 3-turn. EEEEEEEE!!! And I did some real toe loops. I think my life time toe loop count might be all the way to 5! (I hate those suckers. Why can't a toe waltz be a jump?)

I also learned the willow waltz for the show, and except for the mohawk I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be placed in the higher group (the lower group is mostly LTS skaters doing the dutch). And a partner should be able to help pull me through the mohawk. (Most of the skaters in the higher group are coaches, so I feel okay relying on whomever partners me for that. If we were 'equal' level, it probably wouldn't be okay). And I'm thrilled that the 3-turn is in "my direction".

Fizzle All the jumping really killed me. My back, right hip, left ankle, and both knees are all in serious pain.

Morgail
02-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Twizzle:
-I'm feeling very confident about Gold Moves (which is good, since I'm testing them in a few weeks!!).
-Axel - I keep getting close, but not quite. I'm making a resolution to practice off-ice axels every night.
-I walked-through a double loop in my lesson :D 8O
-I think I *finally* get the stag jump. I can do one really, really slowly now.
-I can do one of those back tuck sit spins...not sure if it actually looks any good, but I can do it!
-It's been warm lately, so my skating in general has improved. I skate better when it's not freezing in the rink:lol:

Fizzle:
-My RBI bracket has gone flat on the exit edge. I never had this problem before. Don't know where it came from...

AshBugg44
02-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Fizzle:
- I hate Intermediate moves

sk8lady
02-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Twizzle: Flip feels like it's getting closer. First loop today was fine and the rest were messed up but I can at least tell what's wrong with them now (left leg suddenly developing a mind of its own in midair).

Fizzle: CURSE YOU SILVER MOVES!

Kim to the Max
02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Twizzle:
-I'm feeling very confident about Gold Moves (which is good, since I'm testing them in a few weeks!!).
-Axel - I keep getting close, but not quite. I'm making a resolution to practice off-ice axels every night.

Good Luck!!!

I feel you with the axels. I need about .000001 more seconds pulled in and I just can't do it!

Fizzle:
- I hate Intermediate moves

I concur! But it feels sooooo good when you pass!!

[twizzle]
worked on freestyle all last night, which was nice. I haven't jumped in about 2 weeks because of preparing for my moves test.

[fizzle]
I need to work out what the heck is going wrong with my camel/back sit...
Axels...need I say more?
I feel very out of shape...I haven't done a run through of my program in a few months 8O:roll: and I could feel it last night. Coach is going to torture me with that.
I felt a little lost without moves to work on. Call me nuts, but I kinda hope coach teaches me the new set soon...

PinkLaces
02-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Twizzle: Had a nice high salchow and landed that darn flip - last jump of my lesson and the ice session. Ended the night on a high note.

Fizzle: Having a hard time holding the camel for more than 2 revs.

Mrs Redboots
02-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Congratulations, Hanca!

Fizzle: No skating all week for me as I have a nasty virus and am only just out of bed. Hope to skate on Sunday.

looplover
02-12-2009, 07:52 AM
I've got weird stuff today.

Twizzle: Skated clean program and my sit spins are pretty good. Relieved the flip is off in Siberia somewhere because we have a love/hate relationship. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Fizzle: Whenever I do a program run-through and screw something up I make a face and do this class clown thing that I know is totally annoying, yet I keep doing it. I have to stop doing that! It is driving my coach up the wall and makes me look amateurish. There's plenty of time AFTER the program to make fun of myself! :roll:8-)

Also, I'm having major ankle problems that I attribute to the heel lock system on my boots, maybe pulling them too tight. My boots don't entirely fit anymore. It almost feels like I've separated some connection between my foot and lower leg, and every so often I toss it out of whack, like today when I did a waltz into a half flip. Quite painful, yeesh! After easterns I'm getting ankles and knees checked out. It's a very strange feeling, hopefully I haven't done permanent damage...this has been going on for a while but today was the worst. Have lost weight since getting these boots...may need to come up with the cash for new boots, which will be Klingbeil (ouch, money)

Skittl1321
02-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Twizzle Had my second lesson on the willow waltz. For me never dancing other than maybe 2 lessons on the dutch waltz, I think I'm doing a pretty darn good job with the bronze dance. My coach was pleasantly surprised at how good my drop 3 is. (yay me!) I need to really work on the "juicy" lobes, but do a much better job of them partnered- the thing is I CAN hold them just fine, I just don't because I'm a weeny on my own. But even still doing it solo, I can do everything in the dance except the mohawk at the end- there is just no way I can hit that, at the lobe depth and at the speed necessary to the dance. We didn't work on the timing of it, because for the purpose I was learning it, it wouldn't have been done to waltz music, so it was a bit moot. Although we did work on holding lobes and not cutting them short and rushing the dance.

Also finally went to a synchro practice. I felt so bad because there have been so many people missing the past two weeks that when I've been super tired, had a really bad headache, or whatever I've just not gone- knowing that we can't do much without the others missing too. But I know me missing makes it even harder for the team, so I feel guilty about it, but couldn't get myself to practice even though I wasn't really "sick". So synchro practice last night had only one person missing and it went okay. One program went mostly great, the other not so good at all. Competition is coming up, and I'm sure we'll be ready by then.

Fizzle For reasons I don't want to get into on a public forum I'm not doing the club ice show any more. The time I spent doing the willow waltz wasn't wasted (because, well I learned a new dance, and some new skills) but it was all for nothing. I'm so horribly upset. I've lost sleep multiple nights, been in tears way too many times, and am just done with the drama. So I've pulled myself from the show. I really need a hug.

CoachPA
02-12-2009, 10:04 AM
Fizzle For reasons I don't want to get into on a public forum I'm not doing the club ice show any more. The time I spent doing the willow waltz wasn't wasted (because, well I learned a new dance, and some new skills) but it was all for nothing. I'm so horribly upset. I've lost sleep multiple nights, been in tears way too many times, and am just done with the drama. So I've pulled myself from the show. I really need a hug.

I'm sorry to hear that the rink/show drama got the best of you, but at least you were able to recognize that you didn't lose anything by learning the Willow.

LilJen
02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
((((skittl))))

Twizzle:
-FS and footwork coming together and should be at least adequate for Miami this weekend. Someone's tip of looking at your hands during a spin has helped immensely.
-Coach also says bronze moves are looking good.
-Synchro dance number may not be half bad, at least in parts.

Fizzle:
-Dropped probably 1/4 of my FW program during the runthrough,oops--just blanked out. Toepick-forward splat on my last jump running through the FS program. . . ho hum, business as usual.
-Coach says all bronze moves are all technically correct but they need "more power." Isn't it just my luck to have switched my lesson from a session on which the highest level skater is juv (and most are much lower than that) to a session that regularly features a senior, a few novices, and numerous int & juvies. . . of COURSE my skating is going to look less powerful in comparison! :lol:

dbny
02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Congrats, Hanca!

For reasons I don't want to get into on a public forum I'm not doing the club ice show any more. The time I spent doing the willow waltz wasn't wasted (because, well I learned a new dance, and some new skills) but it was all for nothing. I'm so horribly upset. I've lost sleep multiple nights, been in tears way too many times, and am just done with the drama. So I've pulled myself from the show. I really need a hug.

(((((Skittl1321))))) The last show I thought I would skate in led to so much drama that it ended with my firing my coach, so I know how bad it can get. Try to let it go (easy for me to say) and focus on the pleasure of the new skills you learned with the willow waltz. Did you get a costume for the show? I was able to enjoy that when all was said and done.

Twizzle:
Really enjoyed my dance lesson today. We skated several patterns of the Dutch waltz, focussing on getting better pushes on the swing rolls and refining the end pattern. I realized that after I rise up on the second half of a swing roll, I release the pressure on the back of the blade and that is contributing to my sliding out (in addition to dull blades). My coach said "use me", and I did and it helped me fix things. We also worked on FXO's in kilian hold, in which I had to modify my L leg going CW, so as not to kick him :roll:. We had fun with F cross rolls, which will probably never be up to Paso Doble speed, but still fun. Finally, coach helped me with the blues choctaw, which he insanely thought I could do last week, after I foolishly said how much I had loved the blues as a roller dancer. I realized that I can get onto the BO edge by thinking B cross roll, and that I can hold that edge.

Fizzle:
Unfortunately, the stress on my L hip as I make the turn was painful. I have almost no turnout. Will have to keep working at it and hoping that better technique will clear it up. The cough that is now in week 3 is starting to feel like bronchitis. After skating two patterns of the Dutch waltz, I had to catch my breath, which is not unusual, except that I could not seem to get enough air into my lungs. Haven't felt that up till now, so I'm going to the doctor at the first opportunity (probably Sat).

blue111moon
02-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Twizzle: Had my last visit to the ortho surgeon on Wednesday and she officially cleared me to skate (darned good because I have been sort of skating for the last two months). So at least I can put the boots on without feeling guilty. :)

Fizzle: The right skate HURTS. Dr. says the new lumpy shape of my ankle is probably permanent and I should get the boots punched out to accommodate it - or get new skates. I'll also have to have the blade remounted because my new orthotic arch support makes getting to an outside edge more difficult with the current mounting. The issue is when to find time to haul myself and my skates to the shop.

Twizzle: Part 2 I made it through both the Dutch and the Canasta to the music (well, only about half-a-beat behind the music) twice last night before the pain drove me off. And I only screwed up the steps to the Canasta once, which for me is nearly a miracle. :)

Fizzle: Part 2 Given the lateness of the season, I won't have time to put together new music and a new program so the Mountain Cup folks will have to suffer through another rendition of last year's solo free dance music again this year. I consider myself fortunate to even be thinking about doing a program this year and I like the music anyway. It's just going to be tough reworking the choreography unless I relearn how to go backwards. :)

liz_on_ice
02-13-2009, 09:06 AM
soggy fizzle - my awful awful cold. haven't skated since, oh gee, week ago tuesday? :cry:

jskater49
02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Fizzle- I'm dropping out of the Moves Class. A bunch of high level skaters have joined it and while the coach is very good at giving me alternative things to do...they all skate faster than me and I get scared that I'm going to get in the way...I'm only half way down the rink trying to my baby version of what they are doing and they are done or coming back toward me and it was just frustrating and not fun. Last week I didn't even go. I tried it again today and I was nearly in tears.

Right now I'm just working on so much stuff that is new and hard for me I think my time is better spent working on that than getting frustrated with even more new stuff besides being terrified of being mowed down.

j

Audryb
02-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Twizzle - I learned a flip last night! Got it on the second try. (like the loop) although after that it wasn't nearly as consistent as the loop. I 2-footed about 1/4 to 1/3 of them, and they feel (and I'm sure look!) really ugly, but I'm doing them and landing backwards, so that's half the battle, right? Now I just have to make em pretty. And, doubletoe, you're right, I do love them :D

Also, after a few more loops from RFI 3-turn, coach had me do waltz - land with foot in front - loop. that was a lot harder (of course!) but I did manage a few.

Fizzle - barely worked on spins at all! All this jumping is fun and exciting, but I think my spins are getting left in the dust. I really need to work on them a lot more.

oh, and one more Twizzle - I have trouble retrogressing on 3-turns when I do them on the line, so I read Coach PA's article on fixing them, and the 4 shape with the free leg really seemed to help a lot.

momsk8er
02-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Audryb - I'm jealous - got your flip on the second try! I've been trying for a long time (since I was 13 actually, but with a 30 year break in the middle).

Twizzles this week. I have finally been losing some weight, and exercising more consistently again and already I can see it in my skating. I'm just able to get up off the ice more, I'm faster, I'm getting a camel spin and my spiral is higher. Woohoo! And here's the big news - I just noticed that I'm not afraid to jump anymore. That is a big step forward! I'm so excited.

phoenix
02-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Twizzle: Had a good lesson today, coach fixed my (hopefully) last remaining issue w/ the Viennese, so I think that now with LOTS of work I'll have it ready for ANs. We also re-did the intro steps which I like a lot better now.

Fizzle: This was my last lesson for an undetermined amount of time, as I haven't had much work coming in (I'm self employed) and I can't afford them anymore. So it looks like I'll be working coachless for the next few months--and hopefully it won't be any longer than that!! :cry::cry:

I'll just have to try to keep everything pulled together as I work towards ANs. I'm thinking I'll make a habit of taping myself so I can hopefully make corrections or see mistakes before I get into bad habits.

peanutskates
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
twizzle all the way - 5th skating day in a row of AXELS!!! :D landed them all clean :D

mostly thanks to doubletoe for your tips!!

dbny
02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Twizzle:
Had a really good lesson today, after not seeing my coach for the past two weeks. I can still spin! I hit every one foot spin I tried. This is a huge improvement over about 6 wks ago when I had to try 6 or 7 times to get any kind of one foot spin at all. FO figure 8's were on. For some reason, I always get right over the edge at this rink, whereas at the rink where I work, I always have to struggle for quite a while, sometimes stopping to do F cross strokes to get myself aligned properly. Wish I could figure out what it is.

Fizzle:
My L hip still hurts from the blues choctaw practice. Took a nice strong prescription NSAID with dinner and hope that will take care of it for now. If anyone with closed hips has tips for the choctaw, I would love to hear them. If you have nice, open hips, please do not reply.

phoenix
02-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Twizzle:
For some reason, I always get right over the edge at this rink, whereas at the rink where I work, I always have to struggle for quite a while, sometimes stopping to do F cross strokes to get myself aligned properly. Wish I could figure out what it is.

Maybe that rink is tilted ever so slightly..... ;)

I'm not allowed to comment on the blues choctaw (I have open hips), but I'll whisper: think grand plie' as you do the choctaw.

dbny
02-13-2009, 11:28 PM
Maybe that rink is tilted ever so slightly..... ;)

I'm not allowed to comment on the blues choctaw (I have open hips), but I'll whisper: think grand plie' as you do the choctaw.

You know, I've actually skated on a tilted rink! I think it might be my home rink that's tilted. I've tried the figure in two different places and found one easier than the other. Maybe I have to find the right place.

Thanks for the whisper :lol:. My dance coach has very open hips and demos the choctaw slowly with both feet on the ice at the same time, a lovely scissors motion. I'm sure he does not really grasp the fact that there is no way I will ever be able to do that. At least he doesn't say "it's easy" like my old coach used to do with mohawks.

doubletoe
02-14-2009, 12:31 AM
twizzle all the way - 5th skating day in a row of AXELS!!! :D landed them all clean :D

mostly thanks to doubletoe for your tips!!

YAY!!!! So happy for you!! :D

coskater64
02-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I have had several lessons on the blues choctaws, my coach also has open hips and makes them look very easy. I have no problem with the edge going in but the edge going out, I need more than 2 beats to get it all organized. I do 2 laps of tight small blues choctaws and that has been helping along with doing the blues pattern around the hockey crease full speed its fun and if you do it wrong you hit the wall so it has good postive/negative reward component.

My regular choctaws are much slower but deep and steady.8O

Mrs Redboots
02-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Fizzle: Part 2 Given the lateness of the season, I won't have time to put together new music and a new program so the Mountain Cup folks will have to suffer through another rendition of last year's solo free dance music again this year. I consider myself fortunate to even be thinking about doing a program this year and I like the music anyway. It's just going to be tough reworking the choreography unless I relearn how to go backwards. :)
But I loved your free dance last year, and will look forward to seeing it again. Most of us keep our music for two years, if we can.

blue111moon
02-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks, Annabel. Maybe this year everyone can yodel along. :)

And I get to wear my pretty dress again. Which is, of course, the main reason to compete, right? :lol:

AgnesNitt
02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Twizzle:
For some reason, I always get right over the edge at this rink, whereas at the rink where I work, I always have to struggle for quite a while, sometimes stopping to do F cross strokes to get myself aligned properly. Wish I could figure out what it is.

If I understand what you're saying, it could be the temperature of the ice. Figure skating ice is warmer than hockey ice, and lets you get an edge better. Hockey ice --which is a couple of degrees colder-- is much harder and makes you work for your edges.

I had the opportunity for a week to skate on true figure skating ice. It's like butter, doesn't get much snow and the divots aren't as bad.

dbny
02-14-2009, 05:55 PM
If I understand what you're saying, it could be the temperature of the ice. Figure skating ice is warmer than hockey ice, and lets you get an edge better. Hockey ice --which is a couple of degrees colder-- is much harder and makes you work for your edges.

I had the opportunity for a week to skate on true figure skating ice. It's like butter, doesn't get much snow and the divots aren't as bad.

I know about ice temps, and I don't think that's it. I'm leaning towards something mental. Maybe I just set up better, or feel more relaxed, or something like that.

liz_on_ice
02-14-2009, 06:30 PM
You know, I've actually skated on a tilted rink! I think it might be my home rink that's tilted. I've tried the figure in two different places and found one easier than the other. Maybe I have to find the right place.

Seaport has a noticeable uphill side towards the river. I thought at first it was the wind blowing me to the other end, but no, it is sloped.

dbny
02-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Seaport has a noticeable uphill side towards the river. I thought at first it was the wind blowing me to the other end, but no, it is sloped.

The one I've been on is Christopher Morely, in Nassau county. One direction is clearly uphill, and when the wind is against you while you're skating uphill, it can be a struggle :lol:.

Mrs Redboots
02-15-2009, 09:03 AM
And I get to wear my pretty dress again. Which is, of course, the main reason to compete, right? :lol:

But of course!

All fizzle for me this week - didn't dare try to skate this morning as I was preaching later and the timing was just wrong for taking any anti-cough or anti-cold stuff - I could either take it and it be fine while I skated, or take it to be fine while I preached, but not both. So I chose the latter and still had two mega coughing-fits in the sermon... sigh...

AgnesNitt
02-15-2009, 01:44 PM
fizzle I am okay in my figures on the right foot-position,timing, edge. But the left foot is bad. I tend (bad hip) to lean too far forward, go sway backed, and have a bad edge. Coach tells me to get my hip over the skate, tuck my butt, and straighten up my posture--all this is correct, but for some reason keeping all the pieces together defeats me.

twizzle An ice dancer at the rink watches me and says "Put your boob over the skate and keep it there."
This effectively forces me to put my hip over the skate, yadda yadda. It's the same thing coach is telling me with different words--but for some reason, I can do it. It's not as if one little hint made me perfect, but one little hint shifted my attention away from my 3 things onto 1 thing and it helps.

fizzle i am so groggy, I just go home after an hour and collapse into bed.

looplover
02-15-2009, 04:44 PM
Twizzle: Had a very short practice today but I worked on my loop setup quite a bit, because it's felt awkward in my program. I think I get how to get in the right position from the steps before (which aren't complicated whatsoever but for some reason I've just been...tilted). Am having some good luck with sit spins and backspins lately, hope that's consistent!

Fizzle: This jump sequence at the end of my program - looks MUCHO labored. I think...it feels labored, anyway. Would really like to get that right because I completely screwed it up in my last competition! Was bummed today that my flip is out of the program for now and for Easterns. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about this right now so hopefully the program as it is will go well and people won't notice there's no flip in there :halo::halo::P But really, people I skate with have a camel spin, flip, lutz and those in combination in their bronze program, so ugh, I feel like an underachiever...somewhat embarrassed to be bothering...but it's at my home rink and all.

Terri C
02-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Twizzle:

Fizzle: This jump sequence at the end of my program - looks MUCHO labored. I think...it feels labored, anyway. Would really like to get that right because I completely screwed it up in my last competition! Was bummed today that my flip is out of the program for now and for Easterns. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about this right now so hopefully the program as it is will go well and people won't notice there's no flip in there :halo::halo::P But really, people I skate with have a camel spin, flip, lutz and those in combination in their bronze program, so ugh, I feel like an underachiever...somewhat embarrassed to be bothering...but it's at my home rink and all.

Hey I'm competing with you next week and don't have any of that stuff either... and the loop is off and on for me. It's okay. We all have to start at Bronze somewhere!

renatele
02-15-2009, 06:44 PM
twizzle An ice dancer at the rink watches me and says "Put your boob over the skate and keep it there."
This effectively forces me to put my hip over the skate, yadda yadda. It's the same thing coach is telling me with different words--but for some reason, I can do it. It's not as if one little hint made me perfect, but one little hint shifted my attention away from my 3 things onto 1 thing and it helps.

At the rink where I skate, it has been established a looong time ago that skating is ALL about boobs. You tell somebody to turn their shoulders into the circle, or face the circle, or whatever - doesn't work till you mention boobs.

LOL.

AgnesNitt
02-15-2009, 07:01 PM

At the rink where I skate, it has been established a looong time ago that skating is ALL about boobs. You tell somebody to turn their shoulders into the circle, or face the circle, or whatever - doesn't work till you mention boobs.

LOL.

So what do guys do? :oops:

renatele
02-15-2009, 07:42 PM
So what do guys do? :oops:

I don't know what they do, but we still tell them it's all about boobs :lol:

looplover
02-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey I'm competing with you next week and don't have any of that stuff either... and the loop is off and on for me. It's okay. We all have to start at Bronze somewhere!

Oh yeah! You are right - it'll be fun, I can't wait to meet you and the others!

looplover
02-15-2009, 08:11 PM

LOL.

What if you have um, less than impressive boobs ?

Maybe that's why one coach, a long time ago, told me to focus on my shoulderblades... 8O:lol: