View Full Version : Core stability

cazzie
02-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Both my kids coaches say its something both of them need to improve on. (10 year old and 6 year old). Especially my 6 year old (although perhaps I take that less seriously as he's just turned 6 and fairly slight and I'm not sure how worried I should be about it in a child so young).

I understand it is about the core tummy and back muscles being stronger but what would be recommended of children to improve these? I somehow can't see them doing sit-ups!

They do have some off-ice conditioning classes which are a mix of ballet, yoga, pilates, jumping but sounds like they may be worse than some of the other kids at "core stability".

herniated
02-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I seem to have a weaker 'core' than most also. But I am 44! Since they already take off ice conditioning maybe ask the instructor(s) what is appropriate core exercises for children their age. Assuming they are certified in thier field.

There are some great exercises using stability balls and thier own weight to strengthen the core. But I would ask a certified trainer who specializes in children and/or thier pediatrician.

6 seems a little young to be concerned about core.

Tennisany1
02-09-2009, 11:50 PM
6 seems a little young to be concerned about core.

I will disagree here. Six is not too young provided you can find someone who is trained to work with young children. The best way to avoid injuries is to be sure your kids have a very strong core as well as strong feet and ankles and good posture. I know of a couple of "talented kids" who were injured and eventually quit because they lacked the core strength need for a double axel and the triple jumps. It may seem a long way a way, but the strength and training habits they develop now will help them with whatever sports they participate in in the future. Learning to warm up properly is also a big part of the picture.

As to where to go, check out your local ballet schools and ask about their programs. They should have a "body conditioning" component to their classes which focuses on strength and flexibility. These kind of classes can also help build the muscles needed for good spirals and sit spins. Be careful of large group classes where the instructor isn't circulating regularly to make sure the exercises are done properly. Kids need lots of corrections at this stage to make sure they are using the appropriate muscles.

If you are thinking of a cross training activity (assuming your kids have time ;) ) Rock climbing is a great way to build strength and flexibility and provides a totally different environment / set of kids than the rink. There are more and more indoor, year round facilities popping up. The big thing with rock climbing is there are none of the body issues surrounding it like there are with skating and ballet so it can be a really nice change for kids.

CoachPA
02-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Both my kids coaches say its something both of them need to improve on. (10 year old and 6 year old). Especially my 6 year old (although perhaps I take that less seriously as he's just turned 6 and fairly slight and I'm not sure how worried I should be about it in a child so young).

Did your children's coaches suggest anything, such as specific exercises? I assume they know that your children are in off-ice classes...

Also, did your coaches mention when the issue seems most prominent? For instance, do they notice it upon landing jumps, when stroking, etc.

Remember, too, though that age 6 is about the time that children's center of gravity (C of G) becomes more centrally located, which is what your younger one may be adjusting to.

They do have some off-ice conditioning classes which are a mix of ballet, yoga, pilates, jumping but sounds like they may be worse than some of the other kids at "core stability".

I'd say you're on the right track with their off-ice classes. Pilates does wonders for developing a strong core through "powerhouse" exercises that target the abdominals, hips, butt, and [lower] back muscles by requiring that the core control the movement of the arms, legs, etc.

Perhaps your coaches can speak with the instructor and work something out to help with the core issues?

There are some great exercises using stability balls and thier own weight to strengthen the core. But I would ask a certified trainer who specializes in children and/or thier pediatrician.

Stability balls are great tools, as are BOSU Balance Trainers (http://www.bosu.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=bosu/story.html?src=SPBC) and the Standing Firm System (http://www.standingfirmsports.com/).

I've used both the BOSU and Standing Firms with my skaters at the Preliminary-Junior freestyle levels in off-ice classes, and I highly recommend these two training devices.

I will disagree here. Six is not too young provided you can find someone who is trained to work with young children. The best way to avoid injuries is to be sure your kids have a very strong core as well as strong feet and ankles and good posture. I know of a couple of "talented kids" who were injured and eventually quit because they lacked the core strength need for a double axel and the triple jumps. It may seem a long way a way, but the strength and training habits they develop now will help them with whatever sports they participate in in the future. Learning to warm up properly is also a big part of the picture.

As to where to go, check out your local ballet schools and ask about their programs. They should have a "body conditioning" component to their classes which focuses on strength and flexibility. These kind of classes can also help build the muscles needed for good spirals and sit spins. Be careful of large group classes where the instructor isn't circulating regularly to make sure the exercises are done properly. Kids need lots of corrections at this stage to make sure they are using the appropriate muscles.

Exactly! As long as your children are properly supervised by a certified trainer and are doing exercises appropriate for their body type, age, and skill level, there's nothing wrong with incorporating off-ice core conditioning into their regiment.

cazzie
02-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Both kids entirely coached in group classes...

Re my daughter - they said her basic skating is her biggest strength. Jump landings not always as strong as they'd like. Is starting to dance with a partner so needs more core strength for that.

Re my 6 year old - they notice it really (and I as ignorant parent can see it) on spirals. If he gets his leg up high seems to go into uncontrolled edges. His upper body does seem to move around a bit. He has just had a really, really big growth spurt (4th pair of ice skates since January 2008) and looks very lean and stretched out. (Pediatrician noted that height increasing much faster than weight although he is eating a bit better now so hopefully filling out a bit).

They know he attends the classes off-ice once or twice a week (they would prefer more but some are just too early in the morning for a little kid) and he has just started a gymnastics class. His flexibility isn't great but he is very double jointed - sits in perfect butterfly, can really open hips, has banana arms when fully extends arms and although not commented on my feeling is that he is going to need strength to protect his joints.

The ballet classes locally are not great - pretty much large groups, teacher in front of class etc. and working their way through exams...

I found a couple of Marsha Weinig yoga dvd's which he loves (a case of finding the time to do them) but the ball stuff (if I knew what to do) sounds good. Just wondering if maybe having him sit on a ball while he watches the TV might be good?

He is suddenly going through a phase of being very excited about skating - asks every day whether it is a skating day (with big groans when it isn't one...) Pushing himself really hard (and having some spectacular falls in the process). Kicking up a fuss because his big sister skates more often than he does!

herniated
02-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Sitting on the ball does work the core...but I would ask the instructors of your kid's classes if they know of someone who is a certified trainer/personal trainer who specializes in working with kids. This way it also opens the door for them to tell you if they are certified rather than coming right out with the question... Are you certified? Does that make sense?

The organization I belong to is A.C.E. American Council on Exercise and the web site is www.acefitness.com. You can find a certified ace trainer on the site or call A.C.E. directly. They are nationally and internationally known. Hope that helps.

rsk8d
02-14-2009, 08:26 PM
6 is not too young to start core work. Yoga and pilates are good forms of core stabilization, although it is tough for a 6 year old to have to proper body awareness and stability to hold some of the difficult positions. Core training is the most important aspect of developing a strong checkout of jumps and being able to resist rotational forces. You may check out the core stability article on www.sk8strong.com/articles.html for more detailed information. Sk8Strong has also produced a "Developing the Youth Skater" DVD for a skater of that age, which includes core exercises that are age appropriate.