View Full Version : I got my scratch spin!

CreativeSkater
02-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I was sooooo sooo very excited yesterday when I finally got my scratch spin! I had been so frustrated with it and discouraged for monthes, so you can imagine how ecstatic I was when I finally got it! Funny thing is, I hadn't practiced the spin for a week...I took a break after being so frustrated, then I came back to it yesterday and actually did a scratch spin. It is still from the standstill (I am working on the forward outside edge entry) but it was such an encouragement to know I am improving. I was clapping, I actually screamed a few times :), and was jumping up and down! haha. Anyways, I got a skate spinner (the one from Germany) a week ago and I think that really helped. I definately recommend them. They work fantastic! And it is hard to balance on, but not as bad as some people had been saying. And they are very fun! If anyone wants, tell me how YOU felt when you did a scratch spin for the first time :) Yay! I am so happy!! p.s. If you can't do a scratch spin yet and are frustrated, DO NOT LOOSE HOPE. You can definately do it...it only takes repitition to get the feeling for it. In some cases, like mine, LOTS of repitition. :lol:

PinkLaces
02-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Wahoo!! Way to go! That's definately jump up and down worthy(I do it too).

I tried one of my DD's friends spinner one time. I could barely stay on that sucker.

jwrnsktr
02-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Hey, good for you. I'll let you know what I get one of my own. It's been the monkey on my back for TEN YEARS. Yes. TEN. I will never give up. So there scratch spin!

Skate@Delaware
02-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Congratulations!!!!!! That is awesome!

Now the rest is going to be easy (wink!! wink!!)

I remember struggling with the scratch spin...one time i went to the rink, was the only one there, and filled the whole session (and ice) with spin attempts. It was one of my MOST frustrating days of skating :frus:

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Well done! I still haven't managed a sensible solo spin - either I go up on my toe, or I bottle it! I do so hate the sensation, so huge :bow: to you!

CreativeSkater
02-09-2009, 01:51 AM
Thank you so much everyone for the encouragement :) SkateDelaware, I definately have had so many of those frustrating experiences as well! I used to keep saying "I hate spins" because practicing them was sooo frustrating. But I can't describe how wonderful it feels once you finally DO a scratch spin!!! :D I'm sure I'll be so frustrated with the spins that will come...but I can always say "Well, I can do a scratch spin...so this spin will come eventually." hehe.

Petlover
02-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Congratulations! It took me almost 12 years (I'm an old adult skater) to get a consistent scratch spin, doesn't it feel great ?!!!!

Sessy
02-09-2009, 03:56 PM
So, now you have PROOF that the world really does go round, eh? :twisted:

ibreakhearts66
02-10-2009, 01:00 AM
Congratulations! I don't remember my FIRST scratch spin, but I do remember doing them at the end of one of my skating school classes to show my coaches (group lesson coach and private lesson coach). I just remember being so so so excited. I think that's when I first started feeling feeling like a real skater They really are fun spins.