View Full Version : The Coaches Encouragement Thread

CoachPA
02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Skaters aren't the only ones who need encouragement. Inspired by sk8ryellow's encouragement thread (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=28033) for skaters, let's make this a place for us coaches to encourage one another to be the best coaches we can be!

All you have to do is post what goals you're working toward and encourage one another to make 'em happen.

In January, I started posting mine in my coaching blog (http://thecoachesroom.blogspot.com/2009/02/coaching-goals-february-update.html), but I'll add them here too.

My short term goals include:

Pass the PSA's First Aid for Coaches (https://www.redcrossonlinetraining.org/Distance/Default.aspx?CID=67) course offered through the American Red Cross (by the end of March)
Network, network, network

My long term goals include:

Maintain my active Basic Accreditation rating with the required 28 educational credits every three years
Attend a PSA nationwide seminar and/or state workshop
Attend a PSA national conference

jskater49
02-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Skaters aren't the only ones who need encouragement. Inspired by sk8ryellow's encouragement thread (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=28033) for skaters, let's make this a place for us coaches to encourage one another to be the best coaches we can be!

All you have to do is post what goals you're working toward and encourage one another to make 'em happen.

In January, I started posting mine in my coaching blog (http://thecoachesroom.blogspot.com/2009/02/coaching-goals-february-update.html), but I'll add them here too.

My short term goals include:

Pass the PSA's First Aid for Coaches (https://www.redcrossonlinetraining.org/Distance/Default.aspx?CID=67) course offered through the American Red Cross (by the end of March)
Network, network, network

My long term goals include:

Maintain my active Basic Accreditation rating with the required 28 educational credits every three years
Attend a PSA nationwide seminar and/or state workshop
Attend a PSA national conference

If you go to a conference that will take care of your credits. My daughter did that when she went to Chicago last May. It's pricey but it might be worth it.

CoachPA
02-06-2009, 01:10 PM
If you go to a conference that will take care of your credits. My daughter did that when she went to Chicago last May. It's pricey but it might be worth it.

Yes, I was hoping to go to Orlando this year, but with getting married in October, that's just not going to happen. :giveup:

A fellow coach and I would like to try and go in 2010 (anyone know where that conference will be?).

For now, the online courses will have to suffice. I've done several and while they're not anything special, they get me the credits.

cazzie
02-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I have to say that I've always been inspired by what you write on this web-site - the times when I've posted with queries about my kids/some of the parental behaviour that I've witnessed etc. you've written some quite sensible stuff.
I think it shows good communication skills (something I do sometimes see with my kids skating but certainly apparant in a minority of coaches). I think some of what you right shows that you have the capacity to self-reflect which goes a long way to being a very good coach whatever your qualifications.

momsk8er
02-07-2009, 07:20 PM
ITA with Cazzie

dbny
02-08-2009, 12:06 AM

I was at that conference also, and while it's true that you can get all the credits you need, it requires attending a seminar/class almost every waking moment you are there. Four years ago I went to the PSA conference in San Diego, which was held in conjunction with the ISI conference, and which lasted 5 days. That was a lot more fun, because it was possible to take a few breaks between all the working sessions. I actually got to see some of San Diego, as opposed to Chicago, where I saw the hotel and the rink...period. I do think the conferences are tremendously worthwhile, just exhausting if one of your goals is to accrue max credits.

jskater49
02-08-2009, 05:53 AM
I was at that conference also, and while it's true that you can get all the credits you need, it requires attending a seminar/class almost every waking moment you are there. Four years ago I went to the PSA conference in San Diego, which was held in conjunction with the ISI conference, and which lasted 5 days. That was a lot more fun, because it was possible to take a few breaks between all the working sessions. I actually got to see some of San Diego, as opposed to Chicago, where I saw the hotel and the rink...period. I do think the conferences are tremendously worthwhile, just exhausting if one of your goals is to accrue max credits.

Well as the Mom that paid a lot of money to send a just turned 18 year old to Chicago (with her coach) ...it was quite fine that all she did in Chicago was go to workshops :-) And being that she is now in college, it worked out well for her to get all her credits taken care of.

j

dbny
02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Well as the Mom that paid a lot of money to send a just turned 18 year old to Chicago (with her coach) ...it was quite fine that all she did in Chicago was go to workshops :-) And being that she is now in college, it worked out well for her to get all her credits taken care of.

Your daughter deserves a lot of credit for sticking to the plan, because it really was hard. That was my plan too, and I'm glad I did it, but since it's my money I'm spending, and I don't often travel, I would have loved a little free time. I did use my lunch time one day to run thru a jewelry and gem show at the hotel.

sk8lady
02-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Actually, you only need the 28 over the course of three years, and that's only if you're maintaining a rating--so if you attend a conference every other year, you can attend 14 hours at each one and cover your credits!

Some professions allow a certain number of continuing education credits via self-study--you have to sign an affidavit indicating what you've done to earn the credits--so hopefully the PSA will eventually allow this, as they're certainly more than willing to sell the DVDs from conferences to coaches.

dbny
02-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Actually, you only need the 28 over the course of three years, and that's only if you're maintaining a rating--so if you attend a conference every other year, you can attend 14 hours at each one and cover your credits!

Some professions allow a certain number of continuing education credits via self-study--you have to sign an affidavit indicating what you've done to earn the credits--so hopefully the PSA will eventually allow this, as they're certainly more than willing to sell the DVDs from conferences to coaches.

True, but you have to have the time and money to go every other year. I don't see the PSA allowing anything unless they are going to make more money from it.

sk8lady
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
But think of all the money they could charge for the DVDs! :D