View Full Version : Costume for Figures Test

AgnesNitt
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
So does anyone have any insight in to what to wear for a Figures Test? No one at my rink but me has done them, and while my coach tested internationally, she tested in the 60's.
I heard that in the 'old days' you were supposed to wear a plain dress for figures test. I was wondering if something like a navy or black long sleeved dance dress would be suitable. It doesn't say anything in my ISI manual, but I've been told there are 'unwritten' rules for dress.

phoenix
02-05-2009, 05:14 PM
I think that sounds fine. I'd agree, a very simple dress. I do the same for moves tests, actually.

daisies
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
So does anyone have any insight in to what to wear for a Figures Test? No one at my rink but me has done them, and while my coach tested internationally, she tested in the 60's.
I heard that in the 'old days' you were supposed to wear a plain dress for figures test. I was wondering if something like a navy or black long sleeved dance dress would be suitable. It doesn't say anything in my ISI manual, but I've been told there are 'unwritten' rules for dress.
I took my 8th in 2004, so that's not *too* long ago... :)

Yes, you do want to wear something basic, but I would not wear a dance-length skirt. That is too long. Even just a plain black dress with a black or white wraparound sweater would be OK. For my 8th I actually wore a black pull-on skirt (because I knew nerves would have me in and out of the ladies room... sorry if that's TMI!) and an off-white satin-trimmed form-fitting cardigan over a black turtleneck.

mdvask8r
02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Yup, I agree, keep it simple and practical (warm).
I wore a black velvet long-sleeved T-neck dress with off-white gloves. It was warm & comfortable with a classic elegance. The judge remarked that it was a great choice for this test.

LWalsh
02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
LOL - There was definitely a time when "little white gloves" were expected. I think I would wear them. Any judge who can judge figures is old enough to appreciate the nostalgia.

lwalsh

saras
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM
I wore fleece leggings (navy), a pull on skirt, and a navy fleece sweater. It was at a super cold rink - and I didn't want shivering to interfere. Gloves are fine too.

You can dress comfortably - you should be neat - and definitely not a long skirt. They watch your form too - nothing that covers up your leg positions.

For competing in the late 70s/early 80s, folks used to wear their competition dress with a matching lycra jacket over it - so it was like a plain version of their dress. Mind you, costumes were simpler then - skirts didn't have much adornment on them, so the jacket covered everything up except the color of the dress.

jskater49
02-05-2009, 06:57 PM
I think the judges that remember figures would get a kick out of it if you wore a sweater and a skirt - that was standard dress for figures back in the day.

Joelle

sk8tmum
02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
IF it's like Canadian skills tests: look neat, tidy, not flashy; polished (i.e. hair back off face and tidy, bun by preference so a ponytail isn't wiggling around distracting); basic but not theatrical/competition makeup; avoid floaty sleeves or other dress fiddly details that detract from the line of the skater, or bulky sweaters that don't allow carriage to be seen. Gloves are okay, but, toning into the outfit (natural colour is good). Neat tights without rips or holes. Clean skates ...

Basically, what my momma would have considered the skating equivalent of "Sunday-going-to-Church" clothes :lol:

sk8lady
02-07-2009, 07:36 AM

Can you keep us posted on how it goes? I'm thinking about taking Preliminary Figures in April and I'm curious as to what the tests are like.

Clarice
02-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I wore a black wrap skirt over a black leotard, a black sweater, and black gloves for mine. I had one judge, who was very nice and guided me through the whole test. Mine was the first figure test ever taken by a member of our club, so none of us quite knew what to expect, including the test chair. My judge insisted that my test be first after an ice make so that the ice would be clean. We were down near one end of the rink, so that some Pre-Preliminary MIF tests could take place at the other end. He very helpfully positioned himself so that he was standing in line with the center of my pattern, but I wouldn't count on that! The most nerve-wracking part was waiting off to the side between figures while he paced off my circles and scrutinized my tracings. I had a pretty big audience for my test, too, because nobody had ever seen a figure test before.

AgnesNitt
02-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Can you keep us posted on how it goes? I'm thinking about taking Preliminary Figures in April and I'm curious as to what the tests are like.

I think you'll make it before I do. Let us know how it goes under USFSA.
I'm still on the flat on the left outside, so I'm not ready to test yet.