View Full Version : The encouragement thread

sk8ryellow
02-04-2009, 08:07 PM
This is a thread to encourage everyone to do better. All you do is post something your working on and other people will encourage you. Be sure to encourage others a lot.

I guess I'll start:

I am working on my double Lutz

Thin-Ice
02-05-2009, 03:27 AM
This is a thread to encourage everyone to do better. All you do is post something your working on and other people will encourage you. Be sure to encourage others a lot.

I guess I'll start:

Wow.. cool! :bow:That's something it's unlikely I'll ever even attempt to try.. unless it's just to joke with my coach on the harness!!! Think of how much you can do that so many other people will never even attempt! Keep up the good work!

Mrs Redboots
02-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Great idea!

I'm working on:

Weak upper body (very round-shouldered) posture
Weak free legs
Weak core
Poor pushing technique
Too much toe-rake involvement on turns

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Sigh.

jskater49
02-05-2009, 06:08 AM
I'm working on

back crossovers - I actually was happy with them until my coach started making me shift my weight more now they are a curse to me

Forward inside 3 turns

back 3 turns

Power pulls

cross strokes

Yea pretty much Adult Silver Moves....the salchow has been put on the back burner....and I'd like to put my entry edge to the scratch spin away but coach keeps hauling it out!

j

j

peanutskates
02-05-2009, 10:32 AM
sk8ryellow - a wistful sigh from me. I can't wait to work on 2lutz, lutz is the easiest jump!! So you are v. lucky to be doing it already! Good luck! :D (and remember, "don't land that double lutz so close to... yup, that wall!" :P)

momsk8er
02-05-2009, 03:06 PM
sk8eryellow - wow, that's great. My dd is working on her double flip, but she says lutz is out of the question for now.

jskater - silver moves - that's great. I'm still working on Bronze, but have moved on to a couple of the silver. Can do forward crossstrokes and backward power pull pretty well (go figure) but those back 3's and the 8 step mohawk on the awkward foot, ooo that will be a while. good luck to you, sounds like you are progressing. My coach fixed my sal, so now my form is good but it barely gets off the ground.

Mrs. Redboots - I share your pain, we "mature" skaters have more issues with general strength. Not to mention cooperative joints.

sk8ryellow
02-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Wow.. cool! :bow:That's something it's unlikely I'll ever even attempt to try.. unless it's just to joke with my coach on the harness!!! Think of how much you can do that so many other people will never even attempt! Keep up the good work!

Why thank you!!! I think that everything in skating is hard because if your at TOT 1 and trying to march thats hard 4 u! Everything is hard it just depends at what level you are at to determine what hard thing your doing~!

sk8ryellow
02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Great idea!

I'm working on:

Weak free legs
Weak core
Poor pushing technique

Do you have a champion cord???? If so I can PM you or post you how you can use it to fix your posture. It truly works.

As for the other stuff it will come. Keep up all of your hard work.

sk8ryellow
02-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm working on

back crossovers - I actually was happy with them until my coach started making me shift my weight more now they are a curse to me

Forward inside 3 turns

back 3 turns

Power pulls

cross strokes

Yea pretty much Adult Silver Moves....the salchow has been put on the back burner....and I'd like to put my entry edge to the scratch spin away but coach keeps hauling it out!

j

j

LOL!!!!! Its great that your an adult and skating. Our sport needs more adults. Keep working and I'm sure you'll get it soon.

sk8ryellow
02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
sk8ryellow - a wistful sigh from me. I can't wait to work on 2lutz, lutz is the easiest jump!! So you are v. lucky to be doing it already! Good luck! :D (and remember, "don't land that double lutz so close to... yup, that wall!" :P)

HAHA LOL!!! Thats what my coach told me the other day!!! She said "Check out of that double lutz farther from the wall. If you don't check on the next one you owe me a dollar.

Enough about me what are you working on?

flikkitty11
02-06-2009, 05:20 AM
what i am working on:
making double flip clean
not freaking out on double toe (its scary for me... if my technique isnt PERFECT i injure myself)
skating skills
flexibility

good luck to everyone with their goals - with enough work they will become perfect

jskater49
02-06-2009, 05:47 AM
what i am working on:
making double flip clean
not freaking out on double toe (its scary for me... if my technique isnt PERFECT i injure myself)
skating skills
flexibility

good luck to everyone with their goals - with enough work they will become perfect

My daughter found the double toe to be here nemesis ...which is why she probably won't ever pass her novice FS....

We may never be perfect but that's what keeps us out there working!

j

jskater49
02-06-2009, 05:48 AM
Great idea!

I'm working on:

Weak free legs
Weak core
Poor pushing technique

Yes the old round shoulders -- but you looked like you had very nice posture when I saw you in a video!

j

jskater49
02-06-2009, 05:50 AM
sk8eryellow - wow, that's great. My dd is working on her double flip, but she says lutz is out of the question for now.

jskater - silver moves - that's great. I'm still working on Bronze, but have moved on to a couple of the silver. Can do forward crossstrokes and backward power pull pretty well (go figure) but those back 3's and the 8 step mohawk on the awkward foot, ooo that will be a while. good luck to you, sounds like you are progressing. My coach fixed my sal, so now my form is good but it barely gets off the ground.

I am progressing but you sound like you are already ahead of me --I think it's good to start working on the next level - then you won't feel like the next step is so far away after you pass your Bronze - like I did.

j

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you have a champion cord???? If so I can PM you or post you how you can use it to fix your posture. It truly works.

As for the other stuff it will come. Keep up all of your hard work.

Oh, I do. It's been nearly 15 years now; I might actually learn how to stroke one of these days.

I am not sure whether Champion cords are available in this country.

Yes the old round shoulders -- but you looked like you had very nice posture when I saw you in a video!

j
Thanks. I did try to blame osteoporosis, but I think it's weak muscle tone.... I can keep my shoulders back and down some of the time. But not all of it - and I don't always feel that my posture's "gone" until it's too late.

fsk8r
02-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks. I did try to blame osteoporosis, but I think it's weak muscle tone.... I can keep my shoulders back and down some of the time. But not all of it - and I don't always feel that my posture's "gone" until it's too late.

I have my coach nag me to death about my poor posture, it does slowly work. I can generally sort out my moves with enough nagging so can do those exercises nicely. Everything else just requires more nagging.

However one thing I have found, if you manage to stop yourself from doing anything else skating due to injury, and have to go back to working on just basic edges (no turns!) then you actually get a chance to correct the posture whilst doing something that should be relatively simple. Therefore 4 months post accident I can now say I've got some of the best edges at the rink. Unfortunately, now the whiplash is nearly healed, some of the posture is going as well! (I'm not recommending car accidents for correcting posture as there's too many downsides, like inability to do any form or turns because all check disappears!).

One thing the physio recommends is shrugging shoulders in front of the mirror, you can see if they don't settle back in the right spot easier that way.

sk8lady
02-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Great idea!

I'm working on:

Weak free legs
Weak core
Poor pushing technique

Yes but you are EXERCISING ALL THE TIME!
Young skaters have no idea how hard it is for adult skaters to suddenly decide they need good posture after umpty ump years of not caring! And dance is the TOUGHEST discipline about good posture. I spent 2 years learning to stand up straight and not lean forward and before I had time to congratulate myself on controlling that, the dance teachers were complaining about my butt sticking out!! IT'S BEEN STICKING OUT FOR THE LAST 40SOMETHING YEARS!! No one ever complained before. So your posture is probably fine for almost everything else, plus you're healthier than all the people who sit around watching TV in their spare time!!

sk8lady
02-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Besides, you can do twizzles. They scare me.

sk8joyful
02-06-2009, 07:58 PM
This is a thread to encourage everyone to do better. All you do is post something your working on and
other people will encourage you. Be sure to encourage others a lot.
I guess I'll start:

Kewl! - does this mean positively encouraging :) even skaters like me ;) too?
and
(no wonder, I haven't posted here in 2+ yrs): you're working on a double lutz :bow: - Good for you!! :D

I'm still playing around with... naw I better not say it, lol

sk8joyful
02-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Why thank you!!!

I think that everything in skating is hard
because if your at TOT 1 and trying to march thats hard 4 u!

great, never could do that "marching", does that mean I'm still in TOT-1, LOL

I kept asking "How about gliding... :D I like that lots better!"

sk8joyful
02-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Great idea!
I'm working on:

Weak free legs
Weak core
Poor pushing technique

Hi Mrs. Redboots -
I finally saw you skate on a Youtube-thingie, with your husband. - Are you having FUN! :D
Hey, you can skate backwards, one of these days I will get there too! :)

For me, BAD-posture is because I started with 3-strikes against me, right from the get-go! and
I keep being told, that once I get over the common bad-habit of looking down :roll: on the ice, my skating will improve like 100%. - I can hardly wait! :)
Also, you never give up,
Continue believing... in yourself & your dreams, and you will get there in Fun! :)

ibreakhearts66
02-06-2009, 08:59 PM
what i am working on:
making double flip clean
skating skills
flexibility

Double toe was a scary jump for me for a long time too. You'll get there!

What I am working on:
Double axel, triple sal and cleaning up my harder double double combos.
Intermediate moves and free
Looking more CONFIDENT on the ice.
Trying to get my spins to the point where I might actually be able to get a level 4 in competition.

I guess really everything I am working on is centered around my ultimate goal of competing at the Novice level at regionals.

sk8ergalgal
02-06-2009, 10:31 PM
omg. You are working on your double axel. I am scared to try mine! I would much rather work on the triple shalcow. :D Good luck and just keep thinking positive stuff and good things will happen. I am working on getting through my solo in order to pass my senior silver solo.

Mrs Redboots
02-07-2009, 09:39 AM
plus you're healthier than all the people who sit around watching TV in their spare time!!

Very true. Plus I am more flexible than many women my age (not those who do yoga, though, which I don't do).

Besides, you can do twizzles. They scare me.

Only FI, and sometimes BI, single ones - I can't do doubles because I tend to end up on my toes, which is a pain.

Hi Mrs. Redboots -
I finally saw you skate on a Youtube-thingie, with your husband. - Are you having FUN! :D
Hey, you can skate backwards, one of these days I will get there too! :)
If it wasn't fun, we wouldn't do it! That dance wasn't the best for us - we couldn't get it light enough to match the music, but it wasn't too bad. We have new music for this year, though, instead of keeping the Queen medley for a second year. I skate backwards with him..... very seldom alone! And as for looking down.... well, how the *&@€£* are you supposed to track him when you aren't allowed to look and see where he is putting his feet?????

sk8ryellow
02-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Double toe was a scary jump for me for a long time too. You'll get there!

What I am working on:
Double axel, triple sal and cleaning up my harder double double combos.
Intermediate moves and free
Looking more CONFIDENT on the ice.
Trying to get my spins to the point where I might actually be able to get a level 4 in competition.

I guess really everything I am working on is centered around my ultimate goal of competing at the Novice level at regionals.

The jumps will come with time so will the confidence. As for your feild moves, you should get the intermediate ones easily, I passed them in literally a month. The Novice ones are a bit harder but you'll get them eventually. Keep up the good work.