View Full Version : Finally decided to test

niupartyangel
02-03-2009, 08:07 PM
My coach has been bringing this up and after giving it a thought, I decided that I do want to take the adult pre-bronze MIF test.

I definitely need preparation, as my waltz 8 and 3 turns need work :(

If all goes well I will look into taking the freestyle test at the end of the year. I'm not really in a hurry or anything, but I figured it is good to have a "tangible goal" and get some sort of official validation that my skating is good enough, since I don't think I'll ever want to compete (i do like doing my rink's ice shows though).

Any tips or experiences on this test you guys would like to share? My coach said if we get right to preparing for it starting this week I would be ready by summer 8O

Debbie S
02-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I recommend going to watch a test session in advance, so you can see how test sessions are run and what to expect. Try to watch someone testing Pre-Bronze MIF, if possible, or else watch some Pre-Prelim and Prelim MIF tests, so you can see the quality of skating expected.

I'm not the world's greatest test-taker, lol, but what I would say is to be confident in your skating ability and think about just going out and doing the moves like you always do. Everyone always skates a notch lower on tests, just like comps, so don't get upset if you skate a move less than your best - it's likely that the move is still passing standard, and it's also possible that the judges didn't even see the 'bad stuff' that you thought they would. I remember on one of my Bronze MIF tests, I wobbled and nearly put my free foot down. But I passed the move and none of the judges said anything about the 'mistake'. :)

Good luck!

niupartyangel
02-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Did you do any special preparation leading up to a test? i.e. additional ice time/lessons just on test elements?

thanks for the tip about watching a test session. I will ask my coach about that.

fsk8r
02-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Did you do any special preparation leading up to a test? i.e. additional ice time/lessons just on test elements?

thanks for the tip about watching a test session. I will ask my coach about that.

I've never done additional lessons, but might do an extra skate on my own. But in terms of preparation for the test, once I was getting close to being entered / papers are in, then I'd just practice running the elements as they appear in the test, without breaks. Moves require some stamina to do them one after another (without stopping for coach corrections / chat / breathing!). As I get closer to test day the coach would ask me to run things as per a test and she'd go and stand where the judges normally sit to get the judges view.

And it's a good point about dropping standard on test day. Nerves do strange things to legs, but the coach won't enter you unless you're WAY above standard, so that when you have the natural drop in standard you end up above the pass mark. So you've got to trust the coach on that one.

But it's a good thing that you're not stressing yourself out trying to set a close target date to test. I mentally set dates I'd like to aim for (like end of year, etc), but if I'm not ready or something comes up (work, sickness, injury) then I just move my goal to account for it. I don't want anything too tight, because as my coach is so fond of reminding me, it's a leisure activity for us adults.

ElinorD
02-04-2009, 05:23 AM
I agree with everything posted above. I had a few extra lessons, but not many. I also went through all the moves in order, both on my own and with my coach.
The best advice I can give you for the test: Bend your knees and breathe!

Good luck, you will do fine. Just make sure that you test when you feel ready. You will know. Or you'll be tired of doing those moves and you'll want to get it over with. :P

-e

Thin-Ice
02-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Speaking as a judge, remember we WANT you to pass. That's why we're there and the PB test is an encouragement test. Sooooo, run the test... and if you "mess up" while you're running the test during your lesson/during your own practice time.. JUST KEEP GOING as if it were the test.

Good for you for deciding to test.

stacyf419
02-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Also, do a search on 'pre-bronze test' in this forum and you'll find several preparatory/advice threads - they helped me immeasurably. How to prepare - what to expect - what to wear - etc.

Mainemom
02-04-2009, 10:27 AM
And if you aren't testing at your own rink, go and skate at the rink where the test will be held at least once or twice to get a feel of where things are and how the ice feels. Every rink has its own atmosphere, and you don't want to add that on top of pre-test jitters! Good luck! I wish I had your guts (maybe in 5 or 6 years I'll give it a try...)

jskater49
02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
The week of the test wear exactly what you will wear for the test and practice all the moves without your gloves or jacket. If you screw up just keep going as though you were doing the test. Imagine the judges watching you.

j

jskater49
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
And if you aren't testing at your own rink, go and skate at the rink where the test will be held at least once or twice to get a feel of where things are and how the ice feels. Every rink has its own atmosphere, and you don't want to add that on top of pre-test jitters! Good luck! I wish I had your guts (maybe in 5 or 6 years I'll give it a try...)

This is not possible for many of us who need to drive several hours for a test session.

j

Skittl1321
02-04-2009, 02:42 PM
This is not possible for many of us who need to drive several hours for a test session.

j

I agree! My biggest tip would be that you are ABOVE the passing standard before you pick a test date. That way you will be AT the passing standard when the trick of a new ice rink, or test day jitters get you. Also- if you skate at a rink with bad ice, and are testing at one with good ice, be prepared to go faster! I am a pretty powerless skater and while I had plenty of room to not hit the wall, I felt like I was going to during one of my moves because I was so much closer to it than I normally am, because each push was getting me much further than a single push would at my home rink.

I don't bring a coach with me to tests, so I like to spend some lesson time on what to do in the warm up. That way I'm prepared.

froggy
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
like others mentioned the pre-prelim and pre-bronze are encouragement tests so knowing that the judege wants you to pass is a great help. I made an effort to skate at the rink i was going to test at about a week beforehand just to get a feel of the ice and the size--it was (thankfully) a smaller size rink than my home rink, it'll also give you an idea of the temp at the rink so you know if you should wear layers or not. do your own run through of the test elements. even if you mess up a little just keep going and smile. before doing the next element make eye contact with the judge and smile and wait for them to ok you to do the next element. id also recommend asking your coach how to exit each move --to make each move polished and secure (some exit with a gliding edge and extended free leg and others with a t-stop). definately it pays to watch a test session. oh, one more thing, you should do a practice test run through wearing the clothes you'd wear during the test-just to make sure you're real comfty!

i tested during a freestyle so it was far less intimidating so you can look into doing that.

good luck!!!!!!!!!!

doubletoe
02-04-2009, 08:05 PM
The week of the test wear exactly what you will wear for the test and practice all the moves without your gloves or jacket. If you screw up just keep going as though you were doing the test. Imagine the judges watching you.

j

For moves-in-the-field tests, I have never seen skaters required to remove their gloves or jackets. I think that is only expected for freestyle tests. Also, I would definitely recommend going to see a test session first, and taking your coach with you for your test. I didn't bring my coach for my first test and I felt very lost!
BTW, on this page are diagrams of the moves you'll be doing, and if you scroll down this page, you will see videos of them. Very useful! http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=316

CoachPA
02-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Also, I would definitely recommend going to see a test session first, and taking your coach with you for your test. I didn't bring my coach for my first test and I felt very lost!

Whether or not you'll have your coach accompany you, have her do a run-through of your test with you some weeks prior to your actual test date. Practice how to get on the ice, transition between moves, and go through your warm-up in the amount of time that you have will have for the test (for instance, five minutes, ten minutes, etc.), which will give you an idea of how long to spend on each move, what order to warm up in, and so on. Have your coach sit where the judges will be and take notes of what was great and what needs improvement, and have her mark down your points for each move. (I believe that on the USFSA's website you can get copies of the judges panel test forms (http://www.usfsa.org/membernews.asp?id=248&sid=20822) identical to the ones the judges provide you with for your test.) Skate your moves in the exact order listed in the USFSA rulebook. Give yourself only one reskate if needed, and then go over everything with your coach.

niupartyangel
02-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks everyone. All your tips are helpful because this testing stuff is new to me.

renatele
02-04-2009, 09:57 PM
The week of the test wear exactly what you will wear for the test and practice all the moves without your gloves or jacket.

j

Inspired by this, here's my tip: if you normally wear gloves when you practice, and find it too distracting to skate without them, go ahead and wear gloves for the test, as well as the sweater if you usually have it on, etc.

I had the gloves off for one test, and swore on never doing it again - I was too distracted by my freezing hands!

Thin-Ice
02-05-2009, 03:37 AM
I don't know where you skate, but if there are any judges in your area, you could ask one of them to come look at your tests about a month before you test. Most judges are pretty open to this kind of thing. The only problem is they often don't feel comfortable looking at a test, making comments on it, then ending up on your panel a short time later, which is why I suggest you do it at least a month before you officially test. You could even have them print out the forms and write down their comments (there are no numerical scores on the Pre-Bronze or Pre-Pre MIF & FS tests.. just Pass/Retry) so you get the entire experience right down to the nerves and feelings of "Someone is watching me" and waiting for the forms and then make sure you talk to them to see what they liked and what they think needs the most improvement.

Also, in our area, it is fairly common for coaches and/or test chairs to arrange for the Pre-Pre or Pre-Bronze tests to be done by a single judge on a FS session. That helps the newest skaters feel more comfortable since it's not that different from the feeling when they practice the elements. I do this for a lot of our skaters. If you decide to do this, make sure you run it by your club's test chair, since that is the person who submits the results to USFS.. and you don't want to do the test, have it go well, and then not have the results submitted and have to go through it all over again.

Good luck!

jskater49
02-05-2009, 06:30 AM
For moves-in-the-field tests, I have never seen skaters required to remove their gloves or jackets. I think that is only expected for freestyle tests. Also, I would definitely recommend going to see a test session first, and taking your coach with you for your test. I didn't bring my coach for my first test and I felt very lost!
BTW, on this page are diagrams of the moves you'll be doing, and if you scroll down this page, you will see videos of them. Very useful! http://www.usfigureskating.org/Programs.asp?id=316

My point was to test wearing exactly what you will be wearing for the test. And there's no rule against jackets or gloves for moves or freestyle, but it's frowned on in many places. Where I test, people generally don't wear their jacket or gloves for either test. Your coach should know what is customary.

j

Mrs Redboots
02-06-2009, 12:36 PM
My point was to test wearing exactly what you will be wearing for the test. And there's no rule against jackets or gloves for moves or freestyle, but it's frowned on in many places. Where I test, people generally don't wear their jacket or gloves for either test. Your coach should know what is customary.

j

Indeed - while I don't suppose most judges would mind, my coach certainly does! You hear him with the little ones: "Right, jacket and gloves off....." But then, they are often testing Moves, Elements and Free in one session.

sk8lady
02-06-2009, 04:59 PM

If the rink where you're going to test is too far away to practice at, even once, try to find out what the layout is like. One of my friends decided to test at Falmouth last November (is that your rink, Mainemom?!) and had never been there, so I described the layout to her really carefully, as well as the temperature and which friendly adults to look out for!

niupartyangel
02-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone...I am taking all the suggestions to heart. I am pretty sure the test will not be in our home rink...my coach will not be with me but she said the other coach (her best friend that teaches me in her absence) will be taking me to the test. (my coach has a baby so it's hard for her to adjust her sched outside our normal skating times)...so at least i will have the moral support bit :) i will also take to heed practicing without gloves or a jacket as it gets closer.