View Full Version : music suggestions?

cazzie
01-30-2009, 05:12 PM
We're looking for music for a beginner free dance program. Only requirement(as far as I can make out) is that there should be an audible beat throughout. Daughter loves Christina Auguleira's "candyman" which I@m told is probably a bit "old" for her. (Also recently used by an older more advanced skater at same rink). What she does best is performing/really portraying a character so while she's found some jazzed up classics I think she'ed do better protraying a character or introducing some comedy.

Does anybody have any suggestions? She has to pick it herself and really needs to start working on it quite soon if she's going to be ready for this season's competitions.

fsk8r
01-31-2009, 04:17 AM
A lot of the beginner free dances I've seen use music from muscials because they've got a dance rhythm. We've had a little girl recently skating to music from Oliver. Some of the older skaters have used Phantom, Chicago and Sunset Blvd. I'm not sure if they've got anything age appropriate, but it might give you a few ideas of where to go look.

sk8lady
01-31-2009, 02:48 PM
I love Nat King Cole's "When I Grow Too Old to Dream" and "Alaskan Nights" from the Northern Exposure soundtrack. Always thought they'd be good for a slower, dreamy free dance.

CoachPA
01-31-2009, 02:50 PM
How about a Michael Buble song? Maybe "Feeling Good" or "Moondance"?

By the way, how old is your daughter? Perhaps we can suggest something more appropriate if we know her age.

sk8ryellow
01-31-2009, 09:35 PM
Hmm its hard to find music for dance but my past footwork program was peroxide swing. Of course it was for platinum footwork but I think it would be great for a dance it is Peroxide Swing by, Michael Buble.

luckeylasvegas
01-31-2009, 10:39 PM
A friend of my DD's did a cute program to Barry Manilows Boogey-Woogey-Beat.

I thought maybe Step Sisters Lament from Cinderella for its comedy factor but it's pretty slow.

cazzie
01-31-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks - we wil download later today and have a listen. She is 10 but quite a small and young looking 10 year old (if you know what I mean). She isn't mad keen on the Disney that some still do.

She might well go for "feeling good" (crossing my fingers that she'll consider it). She's really into fast-ish beats.

Her own choices so far have been really age inappropriate for the category she'll be doing. She's even stumbled upon heave metal, hard rock and all sorts in the process and my laptop is occasionally crashing since she started downloading music.

I'll also be finding Charleston music which I hope proves to be less of a challenge.

She still does free skating so has a program for that as well! Fortunately on that occasion chosen by the coach so less indecisiveness and existential angst generated! (Plus modern/contemporary dance and character dancing non-ice dance solo's which - unbeknown to me have been entered for 2 upcoming competitions!)

sk8ryellow
02-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks - we wil download later today and have a listen. She is 10 but quite a small and young looking 10 year old (if you know what I mean). She isn't mad keen on the Disney that some still do.

She might well go for "feeling good" (crossing my fingers that she'll consider it). She's really into fast-ish beats.

Her own choices so far have been really age inappropriate for the category she'll be doing. She's even stumbled upon heave metal, hard rock and all sorts in the process and my laptop is occasionally crashing since she started downloading music.

I'll also be finding Charleston music which I hope proves to be less of a challenge.

She still does free skating so has a program for that as well! Fortunately on that occasion chosen by the coach so less indecisiveness and existential angst generated! (Plus modern/contemporary dance and character dancing non-ice dance solo's which - unbeknown to me have been entered for 2 upcoming competitions!)

If your daughter is ten then I definatly reccomend peroxide swing. I think if shes ten she'll like it go to http://www.last.fm/music/Michael+Bubl%C3%A9/_/Peroxide+Swing and click on the music player box on the right to hear a preview of it. I think it would make a terrific free dance program. You should definatly give it a listen!

cazzie
02-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Well - her coach now has a selection of about 1 dozen tracks including peroxide swing. Actually that one she says she'd love to do when she reaches sufficient standard to do as a couple.

(I did put it to her that her dance partner might not like it but she strongly felt he would come to enjoy it with her....)

Thanks for all the suggestions. One of the things i've realised is that I probably need to take note of what everybody else is skating too - didn't realise somebody else doing the Buble Feeling Good etc. etc.

singerskates
02-09-2009, 10:40 PM
How about a Michael Buble song? Maybe "Feeling Good" or "Moondance"?

By the way, how old is your daughter? Perhaps we can suggest something more appropriate if we know her age.

I already have "Feeling Good" by Michael Buble edited and remastered because I choose to use this music for my Canadian interpretive freeskate; I edited down this music to 2:19.

isakswings
02-18-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm looking for suggestions also. I need ideas for a freeskate program. Dd is in the USFSA basic skills Freeskate levels. We have her ahowcase music picked, but I am having a difficult time trying to find music for her freeskate program. Any ideas? She likes upbeat pieces of music and I am trying to avoid Disney. She's been skating to an instramental version of "Be Our Guest" for nearly a year now. We're ready to move on. I'm going to ask her coach for suggestions too, since we've seemed to hit the wall and can't find something we like. Thanks!

Edited to add: dd is currently 10 years old.

CoachPA
02-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm looking for suggestions also. I need ideas for a freeskate program. Dd is in the USFSA basic skills Freeskate levels. We have her ahowcase music picked, but I am having a difficult time trying to find music for her freeskate program. Any ideas? She likes upbeat pieces of music and I am trying to avoid Disney. She's been skating to an instramental version of "Be Our Guest" for nearly a year now. We're ready to move on. I'm going to ask her coach for suggestions too, since we've seemed to hit the wall and can't find something we like. Thanks!

Edited to add: dd is currently 10 years old.

How long do you need the cut to be? I have tons I can send you if you let me know, even if you just want to listen to them. They're all MP3 format.

For now, here's some quick ideas. All are instrumental.

1:30 +/- 0:10 Cuts:
- "Here Comes the Sun/All My Lovin'" (The Beatles)
- Cantina Band from Star Wars
- The Closing Theme from Epcot
- Theme from Gremlins
- "Hooray for Hollywood"
- "Mambo Swing" (Big Bad Voodoo Daddy)
- Overture from The Color Purple
- Selections from Ratatouille
- "Straight to Number One" (Touch & Go)
- Selections from The Sound of Music
- "Yellow Rose of Texas"

isakswings
02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
Her music needs to be 1:30. I wonder if she will like "Here Comes the Sun/All My Lovin'"? Hmmm... I'll have to check out the other suggestions too. Thanks!

How long do you need the cut to be? I have tons I can send you if you let me know, even if you just want to listen to them. They're all MP3 format.

For now, here's some quick ideas. All are instrumental.

1:30 +/- 0:10 Cuts:
- "Here Comes the Sun/All My Lovin'" (The Beatles)
- Cantina Band from Star Wars
- The Closing Theme from Epcot
- Theme from Gremlins
- "Hooray for Hollywood"
- "Mambo Swing" (Big Bad Voodoo Daddy)
- Overture from The Color Purple
- Selections from Ratatouille
- "Straight to Number One" (Touch & Go)
- Selections from The Sound of Music
- "Yellow Rose of Texas"

luckeylasvegas
02-20-2009, 01:45 AM
My DD used to skate to a great rendition of My Favorite Things from the Carpenters Christmas Album. It's Richard Carpenter on the piano with an orchestra. You can listen to it on Amazon or itunes.

isakswings
02-21-2009, 02:03 AM
My DD used to skate to a great rendition of My Favorite Things from the Carpenters Christmas Album. It's Richard Carpenter on the piano with an orchestra. You can listen to it on Amazon or itunes.

Thanks. Is this a version w/o words?

luckeylasvegas
02-21-2009, 02:49 AM
Yes, it's an instrumental.:)

isakswings
03-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Yes, it's an instrumental.:)

finally found one her coach agrees with too. She'll be skating to: "I Believe in Fairies". It is off the Peter Pan soundtrack ... the motion picture Peter Pan, not the cartoon. :)