View Full Version : Boot Suggestions

babyrabbit
01-30-2009, 11:46 AM
Okay.. So my daughter is 5 has been skating for about 2 years. Is ISI Delta and working on FS elements. She only weighs about 45 lbs.

I would like to hear a few coaches opinions what they would do with their child. She is in Blue Ribbon skates now and we were thinking of just keeping her in blue ribbon due to her weight and size. All her friends about her size and level have moved up to the next boot.

Just looking for thoughts please.

CoachPA
01-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Does your daughter have a private coach? If so, what boot does he/she recommend?

Also, have you talked with your skate technician (the person who will be fitting her skates) or whomever you'll be ordering from? He/she may be able to suggest the appropriate boot for her.

Isk8NYC
01-30-2009, 12:25 PM
She's getting ready for first "real" jumps and spins in ISI Freestyle levels. The Blue Ribbons will be fine through FS1/FS2.

They're leather, right? When they get tight, have the pro shop (if you have one) stretch the skates - that'll get a few extra weeks out of them. It seems as if every time I start planning in advance for my kids' new skates, one or the other grows overnight and their are painfully tight the next day. hahaha

If the Riedells fit her feet well, you could move to a Bronze Medallion, which will be fine through about ISI FS4/Preliminary. It's a question of whether she'll outgrow them before they break down from the more advanced levels.

Don't be tempted to buy skates that she can "grow into" size-wise. It's a recipe for disaster.

babyrabbit
01-30-2009, 02:35 PM
We dont really have a pro shop. We have a dance store that sells skates and that is it. No professionals around to really measure and fit her well. Her skates are getting tight and we are ready to get new.

She does have a private coach but that person is currently hospitalized and we would rather not bother them lol. And before when we discussed it they said they didnt really care if we stayed in the current boot or bumped up. :(

So we really havent gotten anywhere and I keep holding off for that reason.