View Full Version : Dark and creepy music?

ibreakhearts66
01-27-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm in need of a little help finding music for my new program. I'm looking for something dark and creepy. I really like Danse Macabre and Masquerade Waltz, but both are a little too well known for my liking. The program is going to be for the Novice level, and will probably be my LP, but may be my SP depending on what else my coach and I find in terms of music.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to stay away from particularly well known pieces of music.

AgnesNitt
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Fingal's Cave AKA hebrides overture, Mendlesohn

flo
01-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Try Bela Bartok -
Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta, 1936

doubletoe
01-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Haunting and creepy? Try the soundtrack from "The Elephant Man"!
The main theme is slow in track 1 and faster in track 5, then you get the scary sounding stuff in track 8.
You can listen to pieces of each track here:
The Elephant Man Soundtrack (http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1045168/a/Elephant+Man.htm)

You can also check out the soundtrack from Tim Burton's new movie, Coraline, which hasn't been released yet so hasn't been overused yet:
Coraline Soundtrack (http://www.amazon.com/Coraline/dp/B001QSEA2E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1233122389&sr=8-10)

ibreakhearts66
01-28-2009, 12:09 AM
Haunting and creepy? Try the soundtrack from "The Elephant Man"!
The main theme is slow in track 1 and faster in track 5, then you get the scary sounding stuff in track 8.
You can listen to pieces of each track here:
The Elephant Man Soundtrack (http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1045168/a/Elephant+Man.htm)

You can also check out the soundtrack from Tim Burton's new movie, Coraline, which hasn't been released yet so hasn't been overused yet:
Coraline Soundtrack (http://www.amazon.com/Coraline/dp/B001QSEA2E/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1233122389&sr=8-10)

Ooooh I've been seing ads for Coraline and thinking how it looks like it could have some PERFECT music on it. I hope it does!

Thanks so much everyone. I'm definitely going to have a listen.

vesperholly
01-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Jeff Buttle skated to Elgar's Cello Concerto in E Minor, which is very dark. Similar compositions by Elgar probably have the same kind of thing. Look for classical music in the minor key.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bWLt0q5Qx0

kateskate
01-28-2009, 02:49 AM
How about Witches of Eastwick soundtrack?

Thin-Ice
01-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Ooooh I've been seing ads for Coraline and thinking how it looks like it could have some PERFECT music on it. I hope it does!

Thanks so much everyone. I'm definitely going to have a listen.

In general, be careful about hearing music in an ad for a movie and thinking that's the music actually used in the movie. A lot of times the movie trailers are produced long before production on the movie is completed and the producers will use music they already own the rights to (possibly from another movie) or they'll reject what the composer originally came up with and have the music re-written to something that is actually in the movie.

Although that could work for "Coraline" since the soundtrack is already being previewed on amazon and other places.

Sessy
01-28-2009, 05:20 AM
The below are all instrumental

VERY dark and ambient: Crucifixio by Lacrimosa
Fade to Black by Apocalyptica
Faraway by Apocalyptica
Beyond Time by Apocalyptica
Constantine soundtrack (I mean the "meet john constantine" one, not the song 'Passive' by APC)

soniaissuper
01-28-2009, 06:11 AM
I think the music from "Requiem for a Dream" is very haunting. There is also a great indie band, Mogwai that has some interesting stuff. I'd recommend "I Know You Are But What I Am I?" (also used in Wicker Park)

liz_on_ice
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
I wanted Hungarian Rhapsody #2, but coach said it was "too scary"

froggy
01-28-2009, 06:29 PM
the red violin, kwan skated to it.

good luck with your program!

BatikatII
01-28-2009, 07:04 PM
How about something from the soundtrack of 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'

Swizzler
01-31-2009, 07:14 PM
"Transylvania 1887" from the Van Helsing soundtrack is dark, foreboding and aggressive. I love it! It's available on iTunes.

looplover
01-31-2009, 07:33 PM
I think the music from "Requiem for a Dream" is very haunting. There is also a great indie band, Mogwai that has some interesting stuff. I'd recommend "I Know You Are But What I Am I?" (also used in Wicker Park)

Oh yeah ... composer for Requiem is Clint Mansell...he's got several really dark ones.

mikawendy
02-05-2009, 11:18 PM
You may have chosen your music already, but here are some other ideas:

Night on Bald Mountain

Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (some parts are dark-sounding)

?maybe something from Respighi's The Pines of Rome? I haven't listened in a while, but I think it has some very sweeping passages in it.

?Something from The Four Temperaments by Hindemith? Parts of the last movement sound to me a little dark-ish (but I love it). The only thing about that piece is that it could be a little busy-sounding for skating music.

Something by Borodin or Khachaturian? In general, I find some of the Russian composers to have pieces with parts that are powerful and spooky sounding.