View Full Version : Preventing Shin splints?

sk8ergalgal
01-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I dont know if anyone here suffers from them but I am afraid that I am beginning to develope them.
Is there any treatment I can do to relieve the pain that does not involve me taking time off from skating as I have my tests coming up and need to practice??

mintypoppet
01-22-2009, 12:57 PM
There are stretches for shin splints. The one that worked for me was difficult for me to get the hang of (even with the help of a physiotherapist) and I'm quite sure that I can't describe it. However, there are plenty of stretches to be found if you google 'shin splint stretch', and I think it's a case of finding one that works for you and targets the right area.

It is good that you are trying to sort it out now - the worse they get, the more it hurts to fix them!

herniated
01-22-2009, 05:30 PM
I agree with googleing shin splints and exercises to help them. A couple of good warm ups for them is walking on your heels, with sneakers on of course. Then sit down and tap your feet. Keep your heels on the floor and lift your toes up so your foot is flexed at the ankle then tap your feet on the floor about 8 -10 times. Does that make sense?

After you skate it is a good idea to ice them and try to elevate your legs at some point during the day, above heart level. It may help to use heat on them before you skate to warm up the muscle. Of course check with your doctor.

doubletoe
01-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I find that this shin stretch really hits the spot:http://www.the-fitness-motivator.com/images/shin_stretch.jpg

sk8ergalgal
01-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Okay thanks everyone. I will try these tomorrow. The stretches you suggested seemed to have relieved the pain slightly. When I skate though, I dont feel the pain just once I am finished skating. Is that odd?