View Full Version : Pepped Up - Pooped Out - 1/19-25/2009

jskater49
01-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Terrible title but I want write about what a great session I had today! I woke up at 3 am and since I had to get up at 4 - I knew if I went back to sleep I'd be groggy after only an hour so I watched tv for a half hour and got up at 3:30 but I'm still PEPPED up from my great skating session

6 am Power class - We had lots of kids but I felt like I kept up really good.

Pooped out - had coach draw me a salchow on the ice but I still don't get it. Gonna take some more work on that...

Pepped up -- I DID A ONE FOOT LBO 3 turn!! Woohoo...and held it for more than half a second. Maybe a second :-) Also did a LBI 3 turn - held for half a second. I was so excited...when I did my moves program to music I did the back one foot 3 turn. now have to work on the RBO 3.

My structured list of things to do from my coach is SO SO helpful. I don't follow it exactly...but I do look at it. It makes me work on things I don't like to work like the 8 step in the direction I don't like. But I only have to do 3 patterns so I just do it. Same with my spin entry...just do 5 tries.

I went through my freestyle program. The knees have decided there will be no more lunges....so in my program I have a lunge after my half flip and I did another half flip instead...which is great that I can do a 3 turn and half flip without slowing down. It was just about the best I've ever done that program. Why can't I do that like that in front of the judges.

And ended with a few patterns of the cha cha to music with a fakey step behind.

j

Bunny Hop
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Pepped Up - Kept working on Golden Skaters Waltz in our dance lesson, and finished learning the steps. Tried it with the music, which is much faster than I'm used to, and only missed a few steps (keep forgetting the lone normal chasse), so was pleased with that for a first attempt.

Pooped Out - Generally lacking in confidence today, and scared when we skated at any sort of speed. Refused point blank to do the rhythm blues as couldn't face the three cross behinds.

Pepped Up - Have the week off work, so can skate three times instead of one.

flo
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Like it! I was thinking of sworn in or sworn at!:lol:

Anyway - Pepped: Went to fs last night and really made progress on our pairs program. It's a very artistic piece and I love the choreography. The session emptied out at the end and we had the chance to work on death spirals.

We were definitely pooped by the end of the session.

jskater49
01-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Like it! I was thinking of sworn in or sworn at!:lol:

Oh that would have been a good one!

j

SkaterBird
01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
JSkater: that's fantastic!!!!! :bow::bow: I dream of the day that I can do a forward inside three turn, never mind a back three. Great work!
For me: Pepped up - maybe later this week, if I get to finally skate again.
Pooped out - I had planned to finally get back on the ice at a
morning session this morning - no joy. I woke up sick. Not good.
Maybe tomorrow.

sk8ergalgal
01-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Pepped up: Landed perfect double jumps on first try today! :)

Pooped out: When it came time to do my solo I fell really hard on my double toe and couldn't finish :(

Mrs Redboots
01-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Pooped out: Coach's faith in our ability to do a pairs routine suddenly evaporated when I presented him with the music!

Our ability to do a pivot spiral suddenly evaporated when we had to do it in front of the coach!

Husband's ability to do the Mohawk/back 3 exercise from Level 4 moves suddenly evaporated the moment I drew the coach's attention to how well he was doing it!

Pepped up: So we have music, but whether we will do anything with it is another question. And when I was stretching out afterwards I got my free leg up into the spiral position. One day I will be able to do this on ice.

sk8lady
01-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Pooped out: It's finally above 0 OUTSIDE the rink but I don't think it is INSIDE the rink! It's hard to do much of anything when dressed like the Michelin Man. That must be why my flip feels perfect--3 turn, pick jump and pull arms in, leg in backspin position, land on one foot--and then I look down and see that there is a "tail" (coach's polite word for it) about as long as an entire boa constrictor drawn onto the ice. I'm getting into the air but I must just be hanging around up there since the entire turn happens after I land!
Loop vanished when my skates got dull and came back after I got them sharpened but it is still so tiny and can only be done at the world's sloooowest pace.

Pepped up: Started working on competition program with one of my students--she looks SO CUTE doing it!
And I finally have an interpretive program and a bronze program. I choreographed the interpretive myself and the first time I did it everyone stopped to watch and said it looked great. I'm not working too much on the bronze program since I got it too late to be ready for the test session next month, and we'll be at my son's hockey camp during the test session after that, so no chance of using the program before next November. But at least I have it so I can work on it over the summer.

Audryb
01-20-2009, 09:31 AM
My first ever morning freestyle session! And therefore my first practice thread post!

Pepped Up: It snowed last night, about 1", which in NC is enough to shut the world down, so I don't know if that means Tuesday mornings usually have more than 2 skaters on them, but today at least I was one of only 3 on the ice, which was very nice. I've had a hard time getting up the nerve to skate on freestyle sessions, as I'm definitely lower level, but it was soooooo nice this morning :D. I worked on back 3 turns, 5 step mohawk, double 3's, then spins (which are terrible, but they do seem to be improving ever so slightly) then did a bunch of waltz's (waltz is getting much more consistent) and toe's and tried putting the toe on the end of the waltz... toward the end I was kind of getting it, but mostly:

Pooped Out: I just can't do that toe loop from ANY speed, including the speed coming out of a waltz jump. I can do it after a sal, but only cause my sal's have zero speed, and usually zero jump too. I just can't find the timing of when to actually leave the ice. Occasionally I get it by accident, but that's it.

Stormy
01-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Pepped up: Program is finished! Not to just drill it into the ground....or ice! I just need to do a zillion runthroughs. I like it much better now. It has a lot of nice transitions and better footwork. I even get to do a Charlotte into a lutz. :) My spins are much more solid going into them with the 3 turn entrance and I can consistently get a lot more revs on them. I am tentatively hopeful for my two upcoming competitions next month, I defintiely don't feel like the program lacks anything anymore.

Pooped out: Double sals didn't make an appearance last night, but I was a little tired.

LilJen
01-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Pepped up: Generally feeling strong in today's practice. New FS program layout isn't ideal, but I think it will work. Gaining more courage for the half lutz.

Pooped out: Just like last year, the spins are suddenly gone!! I did what I call a flying butt spin--got leaning back a bit, the feet swoop out to the front, and boom! hard on the rear end. :giveup: Coach will not be happy. But, seeing as I am supposed to be doing this for FUN, I'm not going to stress about it too much--I'll just do my best and see where the chips lie. Not entirely happy with footwork program yet--it still needs a bit of tweaking--and I need to REMEMBER what the heck I'm doing!

liz_on_ice
01-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Pepped up - another gorgeous crisp day for outdoor skating. Jumps springy, Spins coming along.

Pooped - except the camel. let's just not go there.

Mrs Redboots
01-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Pooped: is what I am today after a bad night! No reason for said bad night, just one of those things. Net result a very low-energy skate, and spins were just not happening.

Pepped: However, bracket-3-brackets happening, especially together with the coach, so very pleased about that. And am stretching more in my spirals.

RachelSk8er
01-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Pepped Up:

Made it to the gym every day this week so far...diet hasn't been completely strict but good and so far I'm down 2 pounds.

Pooped Out:

Haven't made it to the rink yet this week (since Saturday)...didn't have class Monday night but wasn't able to take advantage of the extra time in my day to skate because stupid hockey tornaments took all the ice.

BUT been drilling jumps off-ice more (see other thread about axels).

I'm freakin SORE!!!

liz_on_ice
01-21-2009, 08:21 AM
pepped up - lesson this morning. Coach taught me a bunch of footwork steps that she plans to put in my program, so I can start working on them now. There's a travelling mohawk, something she calls 'drunken sailor' and a side step thing that has me spiking both blade tails into the ice. This is going to be, um, interesting. :roll: My change-foot spin actually showed itself for inspection today, and coach pronounced my layback and sitspins 'good for just starting' which is fine, since that's where I am.

pooped out - ran out of time before working on the camel, I'm still too chicken to land the flip on one foot.

jskater49
01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Pooped Out - Yesterday I was so excited to show my coach my back 3 turn and then today during the lesson she asked after we worked on the salchow...What else do you want to work on? And I was like...uh...I dunno...then after the lesson it struck me DUH! Why didn't I say back 3 turns???? That's one of the disadvantages of a 5:45 am lesson...

So we worked on the salchow...I think I get it now...but I really have to work on bending my knee and not leaning forward so I'm in a position to jump...and keep my shoulder stretched back.

Pepped up - Worked on forward power pulls and I finally got the rhythm - bend..pull..bend...pull...I would get one pull and wouldn't bend so then I'd be out of steam....

May have been a good thing I didn't try to show coach back 3 turns - they were not so good today.

j

jazzpants
01-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Pooped Out:
Alright! WHO has my loop!!?! It's MIA!!! :frus:

And secondary coach and I worked on spin entries again. It's a slow and painful process and I have to learn to undo my bad habit of stepping and then turning on the spin entry too.. kinda hard when you don't have much of a turnout. :roll:

Pepped Up:
At least the spins are centered... :twisted:

Bunny Hop
01-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Pepped Up - Squeaked out three revolutions on a two foot spin for first time ever. Admittedly the last half revolution was really me pushing round rather than spinning, but given that I've always been spin-challenged, that's actually progress.

Pooped Out - Dance lesson was disastrous. Coach was getting us to do fairly simple exercises to music, but the music was so fast that moving the feet in time made me constantly feel like I was on the verge of a major face plant. By the time I'd been dragged around the rink a couple of times it was all I could do not to burst into tears from sheer terror. It's times like that which makes me wonder if it is actually good for me to go through that sort of stress. Went home feeling miserable, despite having been able to skate three times this week instead of one.

dbny
01-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Pooped: is what I am today after a bad night! No reason for said bad night, just one of those things.

Been there, done that! It's very :frus::frus::frus:

So we worked on the salchow...I think I get it now...but I really have to work on bending my knee and not leaning forward so I'm in a position to jump...and keep my shoulder stretched back.

I have a student with this exact problem on the sal. If you find something that helps, please LMK!

Dance lesson was disastrous. Coach was getting us to do fairly simple exercises to music, but the music was so fast that moving the feet in time made me constantly feel like I was on the verge of a major face plant. By the time I'd been dragged around the rink a couple of times it was all I could do not to burst into tears from sheer terror. It's times like that which makes me wonder if it is actually good for me to go through that sort of stress. Went home feeling miserable, despite having been able to skate three times this week instead of one.

I am about 2 degrees of fear ahead of you. My dance lessons are exhilarating because of that fear and the fact that I am really flying like I want to. Take heart! You just have to improve a little bit to start enjoying it. I can't skate like that on my own yet, but yet is the operative word.

My schedule this week has suddenly become insane with absolutely no time to practice, therefore when I showed up a the rink yesterday to give the two remaining of five lessons (three cancelations earlier), and got two more cancelations, it wasn't all bad.

Pepped Up:
I did a few more FO threes that got back to the line. I can feel how much better they are, just a little way to go now. F power pulls have really started to become more consistent. I can feel how it is the change of weight along with the knee up and down that creates the push. I'm still not putting everything into them, for lack of confidence, but they do accelerate now. RFI threes were very smooth, and was even able to do some double threes.

Pooped Out:
LFI three is simply refusing to work. I cannot get my weight forward enough. This has always been easier and better than the RFI three, and now it's just gone :x!!! I'm going to two foot it very, very slowly to feel the shift forward for about half an hour the next chance I get.

sk8lady
01-22-2009, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE=liz_on_ice;383295]pepped up - lesson this morning. Coach taught me a bunch of footwork steps that she plans to put in my program, so I can start working on them now. There's a travelling mohawk, something she calls 'drunken sailor' and a side step thing that has me spiking both blade tails into the ice. This is going to be, um, interesting. :roll:
[B]

Oh, please, please, tell me what the "drunken sailor" is!!!!

CoachPA
01-22-2009, 09:11 AM

You may also know this move as a mohawk-cross, as some skaters call them. I've always known them as a drunken sailor. It's not nearly as fun as it sounds! ;)

liz_on_ice
01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
You may also know this move as a mohawk-cross, as some skaters call them. I've always known them as a drunken sailor. It's not nearly as fun as it sounds! ;)

Yes, it's a circular thing, my notes say LFO-RBO mo, XF onto LBI, reverse mo to RFI. I haven't had a chance to practice since she showed me so I'll have to see if that makes sense or not.

Bunny Hop
01-22-2009, 11:50 AM
I am about 2 degrees of fear ahead of you. My dance lessons are exhilarating because of that fear and the fact that I am really flying like I want to. Take heart! You just have to improve a little bit to start enjoying it. I can't skate like that on my own yet, but yet is the operative word.
Thanks - I'm hoping one day it will feel less like I'm about to die, or break every bone in my body, or something like that!
Yes, it's a circular thing, my notes say LFO-RBO mo, XF onto LBI, reverse mo to RFI. I haven't had a chance to practice since she showed me so I'll have to see if that makes sense or not.
Ah! That's the mohawk exercise on the bronze passport (dance) in the UK. The one I'll probably still be working on after I've passed the rest of the passport! :lol: Why it's at bronze when the inside mohawk is on the silver passport I don't know!

FlyAndCrash
01-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Pooped: I skated for the first time since the first week of December yesterday (well... I skated one day last week, but I didn't do much).
- My spins are GONE! HELP!!! I think I will have to change some of the spins in my program to reflect my degrading skill level. However, the coach wants me to change my scratch-back scratch to a catch-foot! 8O
- For some reason, my single salchow is is gone too! I managed to land two doubles on the line, but I could barely manage a few singles on the circle. :giveup: And that's my move for team moves...

Pepped: I manged to get up the courage to play my music. I skated through the whole thing and did most of the elements.
- Most is probably stretching it, but it sounds better than half.
- I remembered my program and footwork! I have not done my program since the competition since last October.

Pooped: There are two competitions in February! 8O
- I am nowhere near ready!!! And I have no stamina. Ugh. I foresee the next few weeks as being very painful.

Pepped: I joined a step aerobics and abs class at school. It hurts! But hopefully, it will help my endurance.

Oh, and about salchow exercises, have you tried doing multiple 3turns in a row? The first one is the same as how you would do it going into a salchow, but the following two (or however many) are done with the free leg at 3 o'clock (for CCW) slightly bent and arms braced at about 12 and 3. It should replicate the take-off position for a salchow. Once this is done without rocking/falling/bending, a salchow can be added to the end. This really helped me feel the position and improve my timing. Hope it helps!

jskater49
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Oh, and about salchow exercises, have you tried doing multiple 3turns in a row? The first one is the same as how you would do it going into a salchow, but the following two (or however many) are done with the free leg at 3 o'clock (for CCW) slightly bent and arms braced at about 12 and 3. It should replicate the take-off position for a salchow. Once this is done without rocking/falling/bending, a salchow can be added to the end. This really helped me feel the position and improve my timing. Hope it helps!

That would be helpful if I could visualize what free leg at 3 o clock looks like - which I can't. Can you try to explain the position in another way? thanks!

j

FlyAndCrash
01-22-2009, 05:23 PM
If directly forward is 12, then your right side is 3. It's pretty much straight out to the right. It's like a clock.

Also, make sure to keep the right hip lifted and level with the left one (or vise-versa)

jskater49
01-22-2009, 06:21 PM
If directly forward is 12, then your right side is 3. It's pretty much straight out to the right. It's like a clock.

Also, make sure to keep the right hip lifted and level with the left one (or vise-versa)

So I would stick my free leg out sideways?

j

liz_on_ice
01-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks - I'm hoping one day it will feel less like I'm about to die, or break every bone in my body, or something like that!

Ah! That's the mohawk exercise on the bronze passport (dance) in the UK. The one I'll probably still be working on after I've passed the rest of the passport! :lol: Why it's at bronze when the inside mohawk is on the silver passport I don't know!

probably because you wind up doing it on flats instead of on proper edges. My coach said 'think about edges, but you'll find you're on flats anyway'

FlyAndCrash
01-22-2009, 09:26 PM
So I would stick my free leg out sideways?

j

Pretty much. Your leg will be bent, but the thigh will be at your side (not parallel to the ground... at about a 30 degree angle - find what works best for you) with the calf bent back slightly. Maybe think about having a standard foot long ruler between your knees.

I feel like I'm explaining this very badly. Does anyone else know the exercise I'm talking about?

dbny
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Yes, it's a circular thing, my notes say LFO-RBO mo, XF onto LBI, reverse mo to RFI.

Are you sure you don't have the edges reversed? I think it's LFI mo, XF-LBO, step forward to RFI mo, XF-RBO etc.

Pepped up:
Today was my third dance lesson, and something new and wonderful happened. I can now feel my coach's up and downs as we do the Dutch Waltz, and I can match them. On our last pattern, I finally felt like I was skating with him instead of wrestling with him.

My FO threes are feeling sooo controlled when I demo them for my students. Hope they are there tomorrow for my coach to see. Did my two foot exercise for FI threes, and was then able once again to do some FI threes, but did not push it enough to feel comfortable again.

Pooped out:
I am so tired! I was on the ice today from 11 to 4 and then again at 6:30 for 40 minutes, by which time I wasn't sure I could stand up.

Mrs Redboots
01-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Are you sure you don't have the edges reversed? I think it's LFI mo, XF-LBO, step forward to RFI mo, XF-RBO etc.

Isn't that a barrel roll, or do barrel rolls, by definition, have to be outside Mohawk?

We had a good practice this morning, although nothing particularly noteworthy, except that I am pepped because I actually managed to run round the rink (inside) without stopping! Me? I don't do running..... but I did today!

liz_on_ice
01-23-2009, 08:47 AM

I copied from the notes my coach wrote, it might be a different move, or she might have been confused. We'll see.

Dance sounds like soooo much fun. Didja see the CD from Nats on tv the other night?

phoenix
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Pepped Up: Coach let me play today due to lesson being on a semi-busy public session & both of us more in a mood to play than work. So he let me work on the Rhumba, and skated it with me! By the end of the lesson we were getting through a full pattern with only minimal "wrestling", as dbny would say. :P I have worked on it before but not for awhile, and it was fun to see that I'd gotten stronger since the last time I'd tried it.

jazzpants
01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Pepped up:
Well, I was a bit more awake this morning for my lesson. I got about 7 hours instead of like 5.5 hrs. of sleep and I'm finally awake enough for the rest of my choreography lesson. (Long story but yesterday I only did 15 minutes.)

Pooped Out:
Loop still had a daily quota and I used it up quickly. :evil: :frus:

Ummm... I accidentally kicked my choreographer in the shins during my lesson. He was adjusting me while we were working on the windup and the step into a spin. Should have realized that he just wants me to HOLD the position and not actually GO into the spin... OOPS!!! :oops:

Funny note:
For all you professionals out there that are also adult skaters...

I had to tele-conference in to a meeting right at 9am. (Long story, but I can't schedule reschedule the meeting. One crucial person at the meeting is from the UK and it's 5pm over there!) Unfortunately I was still finishing my business (paying for FS session, coaches, packing and all that) so when the meeting started, there was still VERY LOUD dance (as in clubbing) music in the background. I wonder if anyone at that meeting thought I was secretly a party animal. :twisted: (Maybe I should tell these people that I'm leaving from my night job as a bartender? :P :halo: Of course, The meeting organizer knew where I really was. :roll: )

ibreakhearts66
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM

I copied from the notes my coach wrote, it might be a different move, or she might have been confused. We'll see.

I think you two are describing different moves. Same concept--forward mohawk, cross in front, step forward, mohawk again. But DBNY alternates feet, liz_on_ice is taking an extra stroke so that they travel in a circle.

If I were to do them continuously in a circle, I would go RFO mohawk, cross in front with right foot to RBI edge, step forward to LFI edge, then stroke to RFO edge and mohawk again. This is one footwork step my coach uses in place of backwards crossovers.

If I were alternating, I would go, RFI mohawk, cross in front to RBI or outside edge (not sure), step forward to LFI edge and immediately do a LFI mohawk, cross in front to LBI or outside edge, etc etc.

jskater49
01-23-2009, 07:33 PM
pooped out to pepped up -- So my TV switched on at 4 am (that's my alarm) and I turned the TV off and turned over thinking I'd just skip skating today. I'd heard the ISU synchro team was coming to Moves class and I was afraid I'd get runned over. About 2 minutes later, I got out of bed, got dressed...went out in the rapidly decreasing to 0 degree cold and skated.

It wasn't so bad in Moves. We worked on power circles, power pulls and cross strokes. I finally found my rhythm in power pulls. I can't make it all the way down the rink but hey I have my rhythm. And I'm getting better at the cross strokes...though I still get stuck with my feet crossed at times.

Wish I'd worked on those back 3s with my coach....I must write myself a note next week.

j

doubletoe
01-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Pooped Out - Too tired to get up and skate the 6:30am session this morning, so I wasn't able to do a program run-through.

Pepped Up - I had a pretty good lesson on the 7:45am session, and afterwards, the most curmudgeonly, nit-picky coach at the rink actually came up to me and gave me a huge compliment, for the first time ever. He said I had the best inside spread eagle he'd seen in years. WOW! 8O:D

dbny
01-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I think you two are describing different moves. Same concept--forward mohawk, cross in front, step forward, mohawk again. But DBNY alternates feet, liz_on_ice is taking an extra stroke so that they travel in a circle.

DUH! How did I miss that little word "circular"? Thanks for pointing that out!

Pepped up:
Started my lesson today with F stroking. With just a little urging to push more with my heel, I got an instant and significant improvement! This is just what I need to cover the ice (on my own) in the Dutch Waltz, and I did it at the end of the session after my lesson. We also worked on FI threes to the point that the LFI's were coming back. After the lesson, I forced myself to practice them (hate practicing when I'm scared), and suddenly remembered to stretch my arms and open up my chest, and they were back, no problems! Did about 4 one foot spins from T push in my lesson, and all were good! Even the first one, which was the poorest of them, had a good entry edge and 3 turn, and was centered.

Pooped out:
I almost had a CCW backspin, but now that I've switched to CW, I feel like it's worse than starting over. The only way I can even get onto the LBO edge is to do a LFI three at the boards, but of course, I can't continue there. Maybe now that my LFI threes are back, I'll be able to do them to attempt to enter the backspin. This is probably the one thing that not only did I not practice all week, but nothing else I did was going to help it either.

RachelSk8er
01-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Pepped Up:

My first little weight loss goal was to drop 5 lbs by NYI (5 by NYI, 8 by mids, 20 by AN, 35 by July 11 when I leave for vacation). Stepped on the scale this morning and I hit the 5 pound mark 2 weeks ahead of schedule :) Granted a lot of that is prob water weight and either way it's what I gained last semester so I'm really just back to where I was in August...but still...it's good motivation.

Finished my interp!

Flying camels were good, I finally feel that the spin is what I can call consistent. I get more fly, and consistently 4 rotations in camel position, and it's good in my programs. Layback was also really good today, getting farther back and not traveling.

Pooped out:

Jumps yesterday and today. Didn't do many b/c they were kind of bleh.

looplover
01-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Pepped up: Good practice this morning except for one thing to go in pooped out! My sit spin-backspin is fun now! Sit is lower and faster but not as low or fast as it could be. I have a month before easterns though so I'm happy with how it's going now. Most jumps were pretty good. Some very high level skaters were on the ice this morning, which always makes me work harder and with more power.

Pooped out: (&#(&(*$%*&^*q$ flip I hate you I hate you :frus:. Don't mess with me, flip jump. You will not screw up my competition, you jerk! :lol:

Two footed all flip attempts. Strangely though, two of them had a really nice pop, I could tell they were fairly high, and they felt a little floaty. So I think I must have bent at the waist a little bit on the landing and that's how I ended up two footing? Weird. Annoying. Maddening. Nonsense. Seriously would rather work on axels than flips. I guess I can't avoid all toe jumps, can I. :twisted:

There's a sports psychology seminar coming up in February about 5 min from my house (ISk8NYC - at Durham Academy) .... but it's the week after Easterns, grr.

Isk8NYC
01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
There's a sports psychology seminar coming up in February about 5 min from my house (ISk8NYC - at Durham Academy) .... but it's the week after Easterns, grr.How did I miss you this morning? We were there for power&off ice. Free advice is overpriced: Ask if the speaker's offering the workshop elsewhere earlier if you're really interested and think it'll help. (If you're going in Feb, I might join you. Send me the info via pm.)

Or, I could just come and kick your butt for wimping out, lol. j/k j/k

I was peppy, peppy, peppy today even though I was just teaching, not really skating. Still, I did a great job of demonstrating and teaching, so I'm happy! I did a few really huge half-lutzes and nailed a salchow-toe-loop combo. Backspins were also good and so were my student's, lol.

Isk8NYC
01-24-2009, 06:10 PM

I know them as "drunken sailors" but the other nickname is "windmills."

We had them in the Pro Number for a skating show and it's scary when you KNOW the rest of the group is breathing down your neck and you can't SEE where they are because of the outside-outside edge turns.

AgnesNitt
01-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Pepped Up My left mohawk has passed from scary to acceptable! Hooray! I can also keep the toe of the free foot at the heel of the skating boot all the way through the 3 turn and into the back glide. Hooray! I'm finally able to do the back mohawk thingy in the waltz 8. Hooray!

Pooped out Coach and I must make quite a sight in the middle of the ice while we work on the Figures First Test--my goal is to pass it this year. I'll be going in the circle and she'll be skating behind me, her arms under my arms, cuing me for the switch at the halfway point--I tend to start early and hold my arms too close, I'm so focused on my legs and feet my arms just do what they d&#* well please. Anyway, she finally got it through my steel encased brain that even though I think I'm on the edge at the beginning of the eight, I'm actually on the flat. All she has to do is touch me lightly with one finger and I'm on the edge.
We're quite a pair; two elderly women on the ice. Our bodies deteriorating--knees, feet, ankles going. My lessons interrupted by our respective surgeries and recoveries.

Pepped UP The Big Guy has suggested that we go to both Lake Placid and Aspen Adult Skate camps this year as they don't overlap. Woohoo!

looplover
01-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I went to the 7:15 --- tried to get there for the first one but just could NOT wake up any earlier...

I'll look up the info and send it, that would be fun! You're right, I should contact her about something earlier. You can also kick my butt for wimping out :lol:

How did I miss you this morning? We were there for power&off ice. Free advice is overpriced: Ask if the speaker's offering the workshop elsewhere earlier if you're really interested and think it'll help. (If you're going in Feb, I might join you. Send me the info via pm.)

Or, I could just come and kick your butt for wimping out, lol. j/k j/k

I was peppy, peppy, peppy today even though I was just teaching, not really skating. Still, I did a great job of demonstrating and teaching, so I'm happy! I did a few really huge half-lutzes and nailed a salchow-toe-loop combo. Backspins were also good and so were my student's, lol.

Skate@Delaware
01-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Pepped up: ran through my program today and still had music left when I finished! so I played around with adding an ending and think I have something. I also ran through it again (as best as I could with 20 girls doing ice dancing prep for their test) and slowing down. Went better.

Pooped out: after skating through my routine about 4 times, I was tired: of going through it AND of dodging little girls!

Note: when asked why I wasn't testing today? I did not know about it until Wednesday of this week.....plus, they were only testing ice dancing (how weird is that?) On another note, if I tested pre-bronze adult, it would mess up my entry for my ISI events that I've entered (I'd have to re-do my routines, music, etc). Yeah, i don't want to bother yet.

There is a test session in March...I might test then. (Key word: might). Must talk with coach.

Mrs Redboots
01-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Pooped out: Music trouble - we can't (yet) find anything nice for our free dance. It will come....

Meant to leave my skates to be sharpened, and forgot. Sigh. Hope he will do them for me Tuesday night, but it's a long evening for him.

Pepped up: Nothing too ghastly in the skating.

Stormy
01-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Pepped up: Did a clean run through of my whole new program, except for having to abort the camel spin because there was someone in the harness. I also landed two double sals and double toes are thisclose! All after after being tired from staying up late watching Nationals for three or fours days straight.

Skate@Delaware
01-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Pooped out: Music trouble - we can't (yet) find anything nice for our free dance. It will come....

Meant to leave my skates to be sharpened, and forgot. Sigh. Hope he will do them for me Tuesday night, but it's a long evening for him.

Pepped up: Nothing too ghastly in the skating.

Ah, thanks for the reminder! Mine were really dull!!!! What kind of music are you looking for??? My coach-poor thing! I always put her through the wringer since my music has to be something "different"!!!

phoenix
01-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Pepped: New blades feel fine, pretty much no adjustment. Didn't try brackets in them yet; I'm hoping they'll be a little easier. I ran through LOTS of patterns today & worked really hard. Feeling very inspired having watched Nationals all week.

Pooped: Worked hard, but really felt heavy & lumbering, probably due to the fact that I ate my weight in chocolate chip cookies this week.....8O

CoachPA
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Pepped Up: I passed my Basic Accreditation Exam today! :D I wrote a bit about it here (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=27606).

Thin-Ice
01-27-2009, 02:42 AM
Pepped Up: I passed my Basic Accreditation Exam today! :D I wrote a bit about it here (http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=27606).

Woo-Hoo! Congratulations!