View Full Version : Commentators should...

black
01-17-2009, 05:27 AM

jskater49
01-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Well considering how little skating is on TV I guess I'll take any commentating if it would mean I could watch more competitions on TV. Gone are the days we had the luxury to kevetch about the commentary!

j

Mrs Redboots
01-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Well, quite; but our commentators do either watch in respectful silence or else just note the major elements. Not that we get much in the way of skating on television anyway, but at least we get good, relatively knowledgeable commentary.

sk8ergalgal
01-17-2009, 10:41 AM
I understand that some people watching skating dont know the names of the jumps but I think that the commentators should be talking on the replays afterwards, and before the next competitor. I think them speaking during the performance takes away from the story the skater is trying to tell us.

TreSk8sAZ
01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I have no problem if they quickly name the jumps or say something about an amazing spin and then be quiet. But when they talk through nearly the entire program and you can hardly hear the music, that bugs me.

Isk8NYC
01-17-2009, 01:09 PM
be more like golf commentators - silent during key points, speak quietly otherwise, comment before and after.

In addition, the networks should use the "SAP - Second Audio Programming" feature to broadcast ONLY the music and crowd sounds without commentary for those of us who find the commentators distracting.

sk8tmum
01-17-2009, 02:39 PM
I have the blessing of 3 variations for Canadian skating:

1. Kurt Browning, Tracey Wilson and all of the others with their colour commentary, whoops of glee, yattering throughout the program.
2. PJ Kwong who USED to be fairly silent and pretty much just do low-key commentary on jumps etc, but is getting chattier recently :frus:
3. Online replays of the major events, with NO commentary just video of the skate and then the scores.

Frankly, I almost prefer the 3rd option for sheer pleasure of watching skating without being disrupted by yelps and constant interruptions, and I do find myself watching the events online more and more. I just keep thinking of watching a ballet and having someone yelping out "oh WOW - Look at that Plie!" "Golly Gee, Mike, hasn't she improved since that last instructor change? look at that beautiful extension", "You know, she's a shoo-in for First Soloist next year, what do you think, Marcie?". It would ruin it for me ... I would think.

Yes, I agree, many watching skating don't know all of the jumps or spins. But, keep it brief, and simple "Double lutz, good edge" "combo spin, looks like Level 4 because of ... ", and then BE QUIET!!!!!! Interview the skaters after the event if you want to burble or natter ...

sk8tmum
01-17-2009, 02:41 PM
I have no problem if they quickly name the jumps or say something about an amazing spin and then be quiet. But when they talk through nearly the entire program and you can hardly hear the music, that bugs me.

Or, when they editorialize over their pet peeves or go off riding on their pet hobby horse ... I think of the incessant complaints over catch foot spirals that we all had to listen to off the US networks (it went on and on and on and on ... and on and on and on:roll:)

slusher
01-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I have the blessing of 3 variations for Canadian skating:

1. Kurt Browning, Tracey Wilson and all of the others with their colour commentary, whoops of glee, yattering throughout the program.
2. PJ Kwong who USED to be fairly silent and pretty much just do low-key commentary on jumps etc, but is getting chattier recently :frus:
3. Online replays of the major events, with NO commentary just video of the skate and then the scores.

The channel with PJ Kwong is showing the top three finishers, at the end of the night. They just play the programs one after the other with no commentary whatsoever. It's Heaven. Even PJ Kwong is better than anything else although agreed she's chattier and not always has the right background info.

I can't stand the kiss n cry interviews, I've been flipping over to watch the hockey game at those moments.