View Full Version : Dd landed her flip jump(m)

isakswings
01-15-2009, 10:36 AM
on her very first try! She landed it a couple more times after that too. The next and last full jumo before the axel is a lutz! YIKES. Kinda nerve wracking for me. LOL!

Anyway, it's kind of exciting too.

Angie

Tennisany1
01-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Congratulations to your daughter!

momof3chicks
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
on her very first try! She landed it a couple more times after that too. The next and last full jumo before the axel is a lutz! YIKES. Kinda nerve wracking for me. LOL!

Anyway, it's kind of exciting too.

Angie

Good for her! My dd is still really good at that jump. Her lutz came and went for a while before it stayed for good and the axel still elusive some days.

isakswings
01-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Good for her! My dd is still really good at that jump. Her lutz came and went for a while before it stayed for good and the axel still elusive some days.

I'm kind or freaked about the axel. I know what a difficult jump it is. Her best friend just landed hers a couple of months ago. It took her friend just a few weeks to land it. I don't want dd comparing herself to her friend. For starters, her friend has been skating about 3 yrs longer then dd has a AND everyone lands jumps at their own pace. Many skaters take a long time to master that jump. I suppose I should look into buying her pads to help cusion her falls as she learns the axel. YIKES.

twokidsskatemom
01-15-2009, 11:00 PM
I'm kind or freaked about the axel. I know what a difficult jump it is. Her best friend just landed hers a couple of months ago. It took her friend just a few weeks to land it. I don't want dd comparing herself to her friend. For starters, her friend has been skating about 3 yrs longer then dd has a AND everyone lands jumps at their own pace. Many skaters take a long time to master that jump. I suppose I should look into buying her pads to help cusion her falls as she learns the axel. YIKES.

I think your daughter is young right? She will work on lutz, lutz loop, lutz loop loop, and then maybe start on waltz backspin, ect.There really is no benefit to learning it young, and when they do it young, its cheated.
It took my daughter a long time, and she had friends that landed it sooner.. DD now has double./ double combo, and the other skater has small axles and no double sal, has to fight for double toe. Its not a race and first isnt always best !!
Good news on her jumps!!

momof3chicks
01-16-2009, 09:32 AM

My dd has pads, she hates them but she is really powerful so her coach makes her wear them. Last night, she was doing it on the harness and her coach was literally holding the thing with her pinky (it is now clearly mind over matter).

momof3chicks
01-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I think your daughter is young right? She will work on lutz, lutz loop, lutz loop loop, and then maybe start on waltz backspin, ect.There really is no benefit to learning it young, and when they do it young, its cheated.
It took my daughter a long time, and she had friends that landed it sooner.. DD now has double./ double combo, and the other skater has small axles and no double sal, has to fight for double toe. Its not a race and first isnt always best !!
Good news on her jumps!!

My dd is young too- she is just 8 (in October). I agree there is no rush. As a matter of fact, right now she is working on body awareness and improving many of her skills and perfecting her positions etc. She has a second coach and I think THAT will help in the long run more than rushing to learn more jumps.

FigureSk8Dad
01-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah! :D Congratulations to you and your daughter! It's nerve wracking for all of us parents. But, isn't that the fun part? Oh, and that lutz will come sooner than you think.

isakswings
01-16-2009, 11:18 PM
Good news on her jumps!!

Thanks. :-) Dd will be 11 in May. Her coach doesn't go for cheated jumps either. Dd's current jumps aren't always perfect, so I think she will have work to do before she starts on the Axel. It definately takes time to learn the Axel. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Thanks again.

isakswings
01-16-2009, 11:21 PM
My dd is young too- she is just 8 (in October). I agree there is no rush. As a matter of fact, right now she is working on body awareness and improving many of her skills and perfecting her positions etc. She has a second coach and I think THAT will help in the long run more than rushing to learn more jumps.

Oh yes... dd needs to work on body awareness too. Is 10 1/2 still considered young? Anyway... I don't think her coach will rush her. :-) She's got spins to work on too!

Thanks!

isakswings
01-16-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah! :D Congratulations to you and your daughter! It's nerve wracking for all of us parents. But, isn't that the fun part? Oh, and that lutz will come sooner than you think.

Thanks! It's not perfect yet and she does have work to do still, but it is very exciting!! Thanks again.

sk8tmum
01-17-2009, 02:46 PM
Oh yes... dd needs to work on body awareness too. Is 10 1/2 still considered young? Thanks!

Absolutely not. Body awareness (although of course respectful and appropriate to the degree of maturity and development) is a need-to-teach from day one ... my son started getting direct instruction in it at age 8 once we switched coaches from one who was just into the "jump jump jump tick the jump and spin achieved box" regardless of excellent technique to one who is focussed on technique and quality, and the improvement in his skating was amazing. As he has matured and aged, the expectations and manner of teaching it has changed of course. Our baby who is with the same coach is getting "body awareness for tiny people" lessons from the coach, and has since she first started teetering around on the ice, although of course termed and instructed very differently, and you can see the results there too, on and off the ice.

isakswings
01-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Absolutely not. Body awareness (although of course respectful and appropriate to the degree of maturity and development) is a need-to-teach from day one ... my son started getting direct instruction in it at age 8 once we switched coaches from one who was just into the "jump jump jump tick the jump and spin achieved box" regardless of excellent technique to one who is focussed on technique and quality, and the improvement in his skating was amazing. As he has matured and aged, the expectations and manner of teaching it has changed of course. Our baby who is with the same coach is getting "body awareness for tiny people" lessons from the coach, and has since she first started teetering around on the ice, although of course termed and instructed very differently, and you can see the results there too, on and off the ice.

Thanks so much. I appreciate your feedback. She started a pilates class monday to help with body awareness and building her inner core. Her coach is working with her on body awareness and the general "flow" of her skating. She can be very sloppy at times. She skated well yesterday, but was still sloppy! She's been in private lessons for a year and has improved A LOT. Anyway... she'll get there!

sk8ryellow
01-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Your daughter dd sounds a lot like me. I tryed a double toe for the first time and landed it. Then I also landed my double flip wednesday LOL