View Full Version : New Synchro Convert!

Clarice
01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Okay, so I've been skating with an Open Adult team for a couple of years now, but we've only done club shows and exhibitions. This past weekend we went to our very first travel-out-of-town-and-skate-against-other-teams competition, and WOW! Were we ever impressed! We saw the Junior World Qualifiers at the Foot of the Lake competition in Fond du Lac, WI. I can't begin to describe how awesome the upper level teams were! If you've never seen live synchro at this level, you don't really know what synchro is. We are Totally Hooked! Congratulations to Chicago Jazz and Braemar, who made the Junior World Team! You guys were amazing!

RachelSk8er
01-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow I totally forgot Junior Qualifier was already. I did synchro for a zillion years (started on my club's in-house team back before there was beginner/preliminary or any of the open levels, then did juvenile, worked my way up through senior, then collegiate and adult) but gave it up after last year, and I'm totally out of the loop.

Glad you enjoyed it :) It is very different in person than in video. Many people are also only exposed to open levels or teams of very young kids at their rinks and have never had a chance to see a top junior or senior team live. It really is exciting to watch.

If you ever get the opportunity to go see US Nationals or Worlds, do it! :) You won't be disappointed.

LilJen
01-13-2009, 02:52 PM
One of the treats of competing at Miami University's annual ISI competition in February is that there's always an exhibition by the consistently excellent Miami U. teams. They pull off some amazing stuff that I'd be terrified to even try. Our club started a full synchro group this year (previous years had been mostly formation) for teens & adults, and WOW! is it a challenge. We're getting better about a moving 4-spoke in that we aren't at risk of dislocating everyone's shoulders. . .

RachelSk8er
01-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Just an example of how cool synchro is:

http://www.synchrocassiopee.ca/Photos/Winterfest%202009/images/winterfest%202009-034.jpg

This is Marigold Ice Unity of Finland (they are a senior team--only seniors can do lifts and only in the long program). Those are two lifts with the skater all the way up. The one lift drops so the skater lifted is shoulder-height, goes under the lift that is all the way up (this is where they are in the photo), then I believe they bring that girl back up all the way (haven't seen it on video yet, I guess it's on youtube though).