View Full Version : Commiserations

Mrs Redboots
01-12-2009, 09:19 AM
To those at Bracknell Ice Arena, who are mourning the death of a much-loved coach:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7824462.stm

BatikatII
01-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Thanks Annabel

Everyone here is still in shock as it was just so unexpected and such a tragedy when Jayne had been so happy about becoming a mum.

The baby seems to be doing well so we hope she continues to do so.

It's all been a bit much to take so soon after the fire that burned Alex but the good news from him is that he has now been released from hospital very much earlier than expected and is recovering at home.

The rink seems very strange with out them.

There's going to be a celebration of Jayne's life at the rink next Saturday but I'm not sure of any details yet.

NickiT
01-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks Annabel. As Gail said above, it's been an awful few days at Bracknell. Having just got used to the idea of Alex's accident, we then faced this awful tragedy. Nobody has really come to terms with the sad loss yet. I attended her funeral on Saturday and it was an incredibly emotional day all in all. My thoughts and prayers are with her little girl and the husband she leaves behind now. I hope everyone here on the forums will keep them in their thoughts and prayers too.

Nicki

Rusty Blades
01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh my gawd, how terrible for everyone!

Bunny Hop
01-12-2009, 03:52 PM
There is a more detailed article here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/jan/13/ice-skater-soliman-birth).

As Batikat and Nicki said, it was a huge shock for everyone, and it all seems a bit unreal at the moment.

Jayne always used to stop and chat to everyone, even skaters like me who don't get to the rink as often as others, so I will always remember her as a friendly face. Because my husband often wears his "I am the Stig" t-shirt to the rink, she'd always ask him, "Where's Mrs Stig today?" :lol: (apologies for the British TV reference for the uninitiated).

Thin-Ice
01-13-2009, 03:29 AM
How tragic! My condolences to all who knew her. And best wishes that they can help explain how much she loved her little girl as the baby grows up.

2loop2loop
01-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Jayne was my first coach back when she used to coach at Milton Keynes - going back some 14 years or so now. I was so sad to hear about what has happened. People come and go from your life, but some people make an impression on you that perhaps goes unappreciated until something like this happens. It must be 6 or 8 years since I last saw her, but I have still found this news very hard to take in.

I have so many fond memories of Jayne coaching me when I was younger. In particular, mine was the last lesson she taught on her last day teaching at Milton Keynes. I was so close to landing my first axel, but we got to the end of the lesson and the skating session and I still hadn't quite managed it. The Zamboni was on the ice beeping its horn at us and the ice monitors were yelling at us to clear the ice, but she wouldn't get off the ice - she knew I was going to land that axel, and I did, then another! I'll never forget it.

flo
01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
So sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with her family and friends.

aliceM
01-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I just wanted to say what a wonderful person and coach Jayne Campbell was. Her main quality was that apart from being a good technical coach, she always made things fun. She was endlessly inventive with programs, and really brought out the creative side of her pupils. She had that special quality of all really great people of being able to relate to others in a very human way. She was always a star of the Christmas shows, by virtue of her energy, characterisation and enthusiasm, as well as her great skating. I had no idea until now just how successful she had been in skating terms (seventh in the world) because she was such a modest person. We who knew her will all really miss her, and also be grateful that we had the chance to know her.

A couple of memories about Jayne: firstly, her love of Egypt and all things from the ancient Arab world. She learned belly dancing to a high standard and studied Ancient Egypt in depth. She used to visit it regularly and loved to camp out in the desert under the stars. It was no surprise when she went to teach in Abu Dhabi, and later married a handsome Egyptian, but those of us who knew her well were a bit dumbstruck when the flamboyant but very loving and committed Jayne converted to Islam when she married and also adopted a suitably modest dress code to match.

Next, a funny personal memory: I am a rather large and curvy adult skater, but when I needed some samba music for a dance competition, my Polish coach found Shakira's Wherever Whenever. The music was fab, but we never really listened to the words of the second verse, until we noticed Jayne chortling from the side of the rink ....

Lucky that my breasts are small and humble
So you don't confuse them with mountains
Lucky I have strong legs like my mother
To run for cover when I need it

Thanks Jayne, for a laugh to make your eyes water (and a quick trip out to buy the Spanish version, and cut the second verse; the judges never noticed, phew !!!)

Bless you dear Jayne, up with the angels. And love and sympathy to your beloved husband and daughter.

herniated
01-19-2009, 03:16 PM
So terribly sorry and tragic. I've been thinking about it all day and pray for her baby girl and her husband.