View Full Version : Arm Position for Backspin/Jumps

KevinVeit
01-11-2009, 03:38 PM
I'd like to know what you have have been taught to do with your arms on your backspin and jumps, using the backspin to practice the jumping position.

I know the general principles - arms out, then open air position, then closed air position. But what do you specifically work on?

Height of Arms - Shoulder High, Chest High, ??

Fingers/Hands - Flat, Curved, Fists ??

Do you clasp your hands together, or just make two fists that touch each other?

When you go into your closed position, do you have your arms slightly to the right (for a CCW jumper)?

I've seen all kinds of variations, and wonder what is considered the best way from the point of making consistent rotations on your jumps.

Thanks for any tips.

Kevin

Skate@Delaware
01-11-2009, 03:52 PM
for the backspin, I am to use the same position that I use for the loop jump, arms shoulder height (roughly)

for the scratch spin, I use the "open, then hug the ball, then in to chest" position

For jumps, it depends.....especially if I remember ;) but typically I keep them open and square but I am not typical....and do not use me as an example as I have "body issues" that we are working around :??

for the most part, between shoulder and waist height works for me

Usually, it's going to be what works best for you, and what helps you achieve consistency, then you start playing with variations.

CoachPA
01-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I'd like to know what you have have been taught to do with your arms on your backspin and jumps, using the backspin to practice the jumping position.

I know the general principles - arms out, then open air position, then closed air position. But what do you specifically work on?

I really emphasize arms slightly to the right with the elbows down closer to the body.

Height of Arms - Shoulder High, Chest High, ??

I teach that the hands/arms cross slightly to the right side (for a CCW jumper) so that the hands are clenched in the area where the shoulder connects to the chest (the slightly hollow area).

Fingers/Hands - Flat, Curved, Fists ??

I know personally I tend to do fists, but I typically do not worry too much about hand/finger positions with my students.

Do you clasp your hands together, or just make two fists that touch each other?

Two fists that are crossed into the hollow area of the right shoulder.

When you go into your closed position, do you have your arms slightly to the right (for a CCW jumper)?

Yes.