View Full Version : Can someone help me with program music?

Skittl1321
01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm trying to find an instrumental version of Piano Man that doesn't have the "typical Karoake" sound. The only one I can find right now is JUST on the piano, and it doesn't sound right at all.

It's for a Bronze free test- so if you already have one cut and would be willing to share it just needs to be "not to exceed 1:50" (and probably at least 1:30)

Or if you just know of an instrumental version I can buy/you want to share, I can do the cutting. I've just had no luck in Audacity removing lyrics from songs.

Thanks so much

(I'm also taking suggestions for slower, expressive songs that I could use if this one doesn't pan out. I need to get started practicing my elements in program or I'll never get this test!)

RachelSk8er
01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Just an idea....the intro is about 30 sec lyric-free, as is the last 20 sec or so. You could splice those together, there really aren't any music breaks in the song long enough to be worthwhile. But you could splice use that with another Billy Joel song. If you want to stay with slow music, New York State of Mind is pretty slow, and I believe there is a lot of instrumental in there and if not, it should be an easy song to find (try Sex and the City soundtracks online...movie one doesn't have it but the show ones might). Or Goodnight My Angel. Just the Way You Are. That way you've got 2 (maybe even 3) pieces of music that go together well and the connection is recognizable. And it's Billy, so you can't go wrong.

Or even another recognizable 80s song would go well.

You could always try Vitamin String Quartet. They've got a lot of good string quartet adaptations of popular music, they may even have a tribute to Billy Joel album with what you're looking for. They're on ITunes. I've heard a lot of people use their music in skating.

I just happened to be listening to Billy on my iPod when I read this thread :)

vesperholly
01-05-2009, 07:15 PM
If you cut carefully, you can get a program out of this. There's that nice piano solo in the middle, too. Since I'm bored:

:00 - :30 (30, intro)
:46 - :56 (10, harmonica)
1:41 - 1:55 (14, harmonica and piano crescendo)
3:25 - 3:40 (25, piano solo, parts could be repeated)
3:57 - 4:10 (13, harmonica and piano slower)
5:12 - 5:33 (21, piano and ending)

That's 1:53 worth of music, without duplication. Unfortunatly, you don't get much of the harmony.

doubletoe
01-05-2009, 07:22 PM
If you cut carefully, you can get a program out of this. There's that nice piano solo in the middle, too. Since I'm bored:

:00 - :30 (30, intro)
:46 - :56 (10, harmonica)
1:41 - 1:55 (14, harmonica and piano crescendo)
3:25 - 3:40 (25, piano solo, parts could be repeated)
3:57 - 4:10 (13, harmonica and piano slower)
5:12 - 5:33 (21, piano and ending)

That's 1:53 worth of music, without duplication. Unfortunatly, you don't get much of the harmony.

Wow, you're good, Vesperholly!
BTW, you could even include the "La la la, de de da- La la, de de da- da da" vocal in there if you want to. Lyrics aren't allowed, but meaningless vocalizations are fine.

Skittl1321
01-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks all for the great suggestions- I'll try cutting it and seeing how it sounds.