View Full Version : Tall Skaters

dani
10-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone!

I am very tall (5'10") and a kid last night made a comment to me that he can't wait to see me land an axel because he has never seen anyone tall land one. That had me thinking, what is the tallest female skater that has made a name for herself? How about guys?

Hugs!
Danielle

ps) Do I have any hope of gaining an axel?? ;-)

peachstatesk8er
10-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Well many years ago there was Lisa Marie Allen who was tall, not sure exactly HOW tall though and it's been years since I've seen her. She has a GREAT split jump! :) Lucinda Ruh is also quite tall and she was very successful. I think it's completely reasonable that if you work hard you'll get your axel.

Men.....a lot of guys are/were tall - of course I'm 5'2" so everyone looks sort of tall to me, lol. Robin Cousins was at least 6' though and Brian Boitano is tall. Josef Sabovcik is one that I've never stood next to but I believe that he is pretty tall also.

JDC1
10-04-2002, 03:23 PM
I think Lucinda Ruh is the tallest "elite" skater that I can think of, most of them are in the 5'1" -5'4' category although I think Sarah Hughes might be taller than 5'4 not sure. I think both Brian B and Victor P are relatively tall - Todd, Tim and Mike are all (I'm pretty sure) under 5'8". Sure you can get your axel! There's a woman where I skate whose 5'7 or so and she has her axel and is working on doubles. There's another young woman who looks to be 5'6" or so and she's on the heavy side and is working on her axel. I think it has more to do with muscle mass than anything else.

Canskater
10-04-2002, 04:03 PM
Hi:

Jennifer Robinson is 5'7" and has a double axle and all other triples, so it can be done.

Me, I'm 5'8" with a wussy salchow and waltz .... woefully pathetic.

-- sheilagh

anital
10-04-2002, 06:54 PM
Dani,

You can land an axel if you want to! ;) (though I've just been told I'm full of crap!) I still believe a lot of it is in the mind. I'm 5'8" and have my triples and a now very average double axel. I'm 23 and have been skating on and off since I was 6. I wasn't always tall! I had a growth spert at about 14/15 and while it definitely affected my skating, I still got the jumps, just had to work a bit harder. You can definitely land an axel, work hard.
Also, if you really want to, have you thought of using a harness, it's good to get "mind-ready" for some jumps and lets you get used to the sensation of the different entry.
Good luck!!!!

Anita

Chico
10-04-2002, 09:07 PM
I probably shouldn't give my two cents as I'm short. (5'2") I think if you have a positive attitude, work hard and think you can, there isn't anything a person can't do. I truly believe this, and live my life this way. Works for me. I can't say I accomplish my goals on MY time-table, but to date I do get there. Give it a go! Good luck on your journey.

Chico

jazzpants
10-05-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by dani

ps) Do I have any hope of gaining an axel?? ;-)

Dani,

Why not go for it and find out? ;) :P

Cheers,
jazzpants

Mrs Redboots
10-05-2002, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by dani
ps) Do I have any hope of gaining an axel?? ;-) After someone making that sort of comment at you, you'd better! Seriously, what jumps have you at the moment? And has your teacher started you on pre-axel work (i.e. 3-jump followed by backspin; loop jump followed by backspin; 3-jump focussing on jumping up, as on to a chair, etc)?

dani
10-05-2002, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
After someone making that sort of comment at you, you'd better! Seriously, what jumps have you at the moment? And has your teacher started you on pre-axel work (i.e. 3-jump followed by backspin; loop jump followed by backspin; 3-jump focussing on jumping up, as on to a chair, etc)?

Hi! ;-) Everyone should remember I have only been ice skating for 9 months and never did freestyle on roller, so ...

To answer the question, I can land up to a lutz. I can't backspin yet, so I don't have the waltz-backspin combo or loop-backspin. My waltz jump is pretty huge and I can land a waltz-loop which is one of the excersizes.

I can't seem to throw myself into a situation that I "know" I will fall. It took me forever to learn my flip because of that. In the other hand, I landed my first loop the first night I tried it. Given that, who knows when or where I will get my axel. I know I am physically capable but who knows mentally. I did have my axel on a 1 year goal recently (July) and my coach seemed to think it was reasonable.

Hugs!!
Danielle

Elsy2
10-05-2002, 07:49 AM
Your skating sounds amazing so far! As for other tall skaters, we had a lovely skater at our rink who was about 5'10" who passed her Junior FS. I think the tallest male skater may be Laurent Tobel at 6'4"!

skaternum
10-05-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by anital
You can land an axel if you want to! ;) (though I've just been told I'm full of crap!) I still believe a lot of it is in the mind. I'm 5'8" and have my triples and a now very average double axel. I'm 23 and have been skating on and off since I was 6.

Anita

To Dani: I believe you will land an axel. I know because I've seen you skate! :D

To Anita: Having said the above, I have to point out how *very* different it is to learn jumps when you start skating as an adult, versus learning them as a child then relearning them. True adult skaters (started as adults) have decades of muscle memory and mental fear to overcome, not to mention that the physics of tall & wide vs. gravity. I'm not saying it can't be done -- I aim to land an axel myself -- but it's SO different!!
skaternum

icenut84
10-05-2002, 09:23 AM
I'm about 5ft8, 18 years old (19 in January) and my goals have been to have at least start learning all the jumps up to lutz by Christmas 8O (I can do up to loop - I think we're gonna start on the flip next week), and to have "at least started working" on the axel by the time I'm 20. Oo-er. Here's hoping! :)
I'm tall for a skater too I think, but what the hey, I'm gonna give it my best shot. :D Sure you can land an axel Dani, it sounds like you're doing great! :)

P.S. Another thread very similar to this, asking about the tallest skaters, was recently started on the Golden Skate board:

http://pub94.ezboard.com/bgoldenskate

That might help answer your question. :)

Rachel

P.P.S. I think Ilia Kulik and Evgeny Plushenko are over 6ft too.

Mariposa
10-05-2002, 10:01 AM
I remember a woman who skated for Germany in '94 who was 5'10." (I think) I saw her on Euro Championships and the announcers kept going on and on about how tall she was. She was the German national champion...so yes, there are elite-level skaters who are tall. She got usurped by Katerina that year who decided to go for one final Olympics, and she was PO'd.

Lee
10-05-2002, 10:27 AM
Dani...all depends on how determined you are to get the axel. My daughter has skated with a girl who is just shy of 6' tall. She was well over 5'5" when she got her doubles. Granted she started skating when she was young, BUT I've seen her land *double* axels and come really darned close to 3-toes -- AT her present height.

Never say never!

anital
10-05-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
I have to point out how *very* different it is to learn jumps when you start skating as an adult, versus learning them as a child then relearning them. True adult skaters (started as adults) have decades of muscle memory and mental fear to overcome, not to mention that the physics of tall & wide vs. gravity. I'm not saying it can't be done -- I aim to land an axel myself -- but it's SO different!!
skaternum

Skaternum, I have no doubt it's much more difficult, it has been extremely difficult for me to relearn mine since I had such a long break, but I think both child skaters and adult skaters, no matter when they actually start skating, have a real stigma associated with the axel. I got my axel before the lutz and then I found out the axel was supposed to be the hardest and so I "made" my lutz the hardest!

A lot of the axel and all the jumps are made easier if you are small (short and slim) but I think they are all possible for most people.

I wish both you and Dani luck in your quests to land the infamous axel!! Keep us all posted! :)

Anita

dani
10-06-2002, 07:49 AM
Thanks everyone! I don't feel like it is hopeless! ;-)

Seriously, this thread keeps reminding me of that conversation Thursday and I really feel great about one part of it. This kid didn't say "If" but he said "when". I think that is a cool, subtle piece of confidence coming from a teenager!

Hugs!!
Danielle

ps) Skaternum - I believe you will own yours, too ;-)

melanieuk
10-06-2002, 08:02 AM
Height - 5ft 5"
Age 34

I've landed loads of short axels and a few fully rotated ones. :)
Six girls at my rink were doing 2axels & 3jumps and one was 5' 7".
You go girl! :lol:

Mrs Redboots
10-06-2002, 10:48 AM
It occurs to me that I know a young man who has grown to at least 6', and although he now is working full-time and can't skate much, he has a perfectly serviceable axel, and is shooting for a double. And if the blokes can do it when they are tall and muscular, so can the women!

gardener
10-10-2002, 09:25 AM
Dani,

Good luck on the axel. I suggest you get some of those pads to put on your knees or hips or tailbone or wrists or whatever area you fall most on, so that you don't feel you will hurt yourself. It takes a lot of guts to go for the axel, but if you feel like you won't get hurt, then it should lesson your fear. My personal opinion is that you have to "go for it" to get the jump landed sooner than later...those people whose fear is obvious (even to a casual observer) take much longer to get the axel, if ever.

Rae
10-10-2002, 03:06 PM
Robin Cousins is not 6ft tall, but he does look like he is thanks to those long legs and arms. He's about 5'10" I think.
I taught a girl who was 6' tall who did an OK double axel at times, although rotation was always more difficult for her. Injury became the biggest constant as there's just more force on those feet and knees.

Anyone can do anything if they stick at it is my motto.

garyc254
10-10-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
I think both Brian B and Victor P are relatively tall

I guess it's all relative. I'm 6'-1". I wouldn't call Brian B tall. At best he's 5'-10".

Of course, the only thing I can land is my body on the ice. :lol: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
10-11-2002, 08:27 AM
What about Laurent Tobel? He is really tall!

Elsy2
10-11-2002, 09:16 AM
I looked up the stats for Tobel, and he's 6'4"!8O

dbny
10-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by gardener
My personal opinion is that you have to "go for it" to get the jump landed sooner than later...those people whose fear is obvious (even to a casual observer) take much longer to get the axel, if ever.

I agree. My daughter, who was fearless, got her axel before she had the skating skills usually associated with it, just through sheer guts and determination. I know of skaters who are well above the skills required, who have not mastered an axel after more than a year of effort because they always hold back. You have to be willing to fall to learn an axel. I once estimated that my daughter fell at least a thousand times before she landed her first. I'm guessing that if she had waited until she was really ready, there would have been fewer falls. I know I'm never going there. :lol:

rjblue
10-12-2002, 08:03 PM
You should ask Spinner- he's really tall.

My daughter, who is 5'10" has no problem with an axel and all the doubles. You just need to have good takeoff technique. A short skater can muscle out of a poor takeoff, but a tall skater has to be in the right air position. Just think of all the wonky jumps Elvis managed to land cleanly, while Kuliks always looked beautiful. The higher centre of gravity requires more strength to correct and land. If your technique is good then the jumps should be okay.

I think the problem with tall skaters is that it is harder to look like you are skating quickly, especially for the girls. My daughter can look quite slow, but she is actually covering the ice more quickly than the shorter skater beside her who looks like she is zooming.

Lois
10-16-2002, 04:04 AM
Robin Cousins is officially 6 feet tall, but he is certainly at the tall end of the elite skater height range. Most of the skaters I've met are far shorter in person than they appear on TV.

Lois

Spinner
10-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by rjblue
You should ask Spinner- he's really tall.

Well....ask and you shall receive. ;) I'm 6'5" and began skating when I was 19. Before I moved away and quit training 3 years later, I had my Axel and 3 solid doubles--toe loop, loop and Salchow. I competed as a pairs skater up through the novice level, so yes it can be done! Keep at it and practice hard and often.

Good luck!
Spinner

supersk8er
10-19-2002, 12:36 AM
I'm 5'6, I think this is tall, and I can do two triples. I don't how impressive this is seeing as how I'm 16...but some skaters my same age are half a foot shorter than me and can only do the same jumps as me...soooo, I think tall skaters are just as capable as small skaters...

Jaana
10-20-2002, 02:03 AM
Ilia Kulik is 5´ 11" and he has a gorgeos triple axel, one of his strongest jumps. I have understood that if some jump is difficult for tall skaters like him, it is the triple salchow.

Generally speaking, the jumping is easier for shorter skaters.

Marjaana