View Full Version : phantom NYC rinks

liz_on_ice
12-30-2008, 08:39 AM
What is it with New York and alleged ice rinks?

The new rink in Corona was allegedly opening Dec 19, but I see no evidence it happened. Not feeling like driving up there just to be disappointed.

There is supposed to be a temporary ice rink at South Street Seaport. I actually brought in skates to work to go at lunch, but browsing the net shows that it was delayed to early Dec, with no sign of rink construction still on Dec 19. Guess I'll walk over and look, but I'll feel pretty stupid carrying ice skates to a non-existant rink.

What's up with City Ice in Long Island City anyway?

frustrated and iceless in NYC.

RoaringSkates
12-30-2008, 10:14 AM
City Ice, in Queens, is open: http://cityice.pucksystems.com/page/show/56610-skating-department

Bryant Park is open, and free if you bring your own skates.

Wollman is open, as is Chelsea Piers, Rockefeller Center and Lasker.

South Street Seaport is now said to be opening in early January.

herniated
12-30-2008, 02:35 PM
I called City ice pavillion and emailed a couple of weeks ago when jazzpants was looking to have a meetup and they have not returned my call or emails.I'll try again.

They advertise on their web site an adult dance/freestyle session but I too do not want to take the long drive (over an hour) to 'see' if they have it or not.

Ok, I just got through to city ice!! They are open and will have the adult session I mentioned above after the new year starting Jan. 5th!! I'm open to a meet up there.

liz_on_ice
12-30-2008, 07:27 PM
I called City ice pavillion and emailed a couple of weeks ago when jazzpants was looking to have a meetup and they have not returned my call or emails.I'll try again.

They advertise on their web site an adult dance/freestyle session but I too do not want to take the long drive (over an hour) to 'see' if they have it or not.

Ok, I just got through to city ice!! They are open and will have the adult session I mentioned above after the new year starting Jan. 5th!! I'm open to a meet up there.

Yay! one out of three rinks is real :o)
LIC is pretty well out of the way for me, but I could be up for an inspection tour. Pity they weren't there when I lived in Woodside.

herniated
12-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Yay! one out of three rinks is real :o)
LIC is pretty well out of the way for me, but I could be up for an inspection tour. Pity they weren't there when I lived in Woodside.

It's out of the way for me too but thought the adult session would be fun!

liz_on_ice
01-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Yay - Seaport is real! Supposedly opening Wednesday 1pm. I saw boards, an uncovered chiller system, and an enclosed tent with benches.