View Full Version : If someone invited you to be a member of a Synchro. Team...would you except it?

FSWer
12-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok people. If somebody invited you to be a member of a Synchronized Skating Team...would you except? I myself sure would. As I've always dreamed of it. Anyone else?

blue111moon
12-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I've been invited a couple times and turned them down because the practise times were not at times and locations I could get to conveniently. And then there's the cost - synchro is not cheap, especially if the team travels to a lot of competitions.

fsk8r
12-28-2008, 02:58 AM
when I'd recently moved to Texas I was invited to join the team. It was a low level adult team (just past beginners) and it was great fun and made meeting people in a strange city really easy. Thankfully it was run as a LTS class so didn't cost horrific amounts.
Unfortunately it created a bug for synchro and now I've moved home I've got a horrific drive to the local synchro team through rush hour traffic. Most of the world thinks I'm mad for going, but when there isn't another team, you do what you've got to do.
But I've never stopped being really thankful for the two ladies who stopped me on public ice who invited me to join the team. They helped my skating no end.

jazzpants
12-28-2008, 07:14 AM
I have done synch team and group ensemble type of numbers. Though some of them were fun, we were all pretty relieved when it was done and we no longer had to do the group practices. It probably would depend on the situation (i.e. how long, do I have to travel, etc.) but in general, I don't have enough time/money/flexibility in my schedule to develop as a skater in my own right to throw in something that involves another skater.

Mel On Ice
12-28-2008, 10:01 AM
One of my favorite lines is "Wanna know why I skated synchro for 4 years? Because I didn't want to do it for 5."

I'm conflicted because I still communicate with the vast majority of the ladies that I was on a team with for those 4 years. It was just a lot of drama on the ice, we all got along well off the ice.

When I moved back home, the local synchro team sniffed me out and invited me to join the team in less than 48 hours - I had skates, I didn't have anything yet to skate in since it was on the moving truck! I have resisted thus far, simply because "masters" teams don't seem to be for the older adult skater anymore, and as a 39 year old, can't compete against the 26 year olds that have spent thier lives as elite members of the top teams.

looplover
12-28-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd love to join our adult synchro team, but I just don't have the time or money for it either - I'm already having trouble coming up with the cash to practice on my own! It really does look like a lot of fun though.

Sessy
12-28-2008, 11:50 AM
If I was to do synchro, I wouldn't have time or money for solo. So no, I wouldn't do it.

Rusty Blades
12-28-2008, 12:09 PM
After I got up off the floor (following my laughing fit!) I would decline. Not the least interested (though I did assist a coach with a synchro team a million years ago).

Mrs Redboots
12-28-2008, 12:17 PM
No. Thanks, but no thanks.

I love watching synchro, though, and really admire my adult skating friends who do it. There are two adult teams locally (read: within 2 hours of where I live), but neither would be convenient for me, even if I did fancy having a go.

abbi_1990
12-28-2008, 12:17 PM
i'v just joined the adult synchro development team at my rink and so far im really enjoying it

mdvask8r
12-28-2008, 02:51 PM
. . . It was just a lot of drama on the ice. . ."masters" teams don't seem to be for the older adult skater anymore . . . .
AMEN!!:giveup:

RachelSk8er
12-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Been there, done that, bought the Tshirt, won the national medals.

You don't get "invited' to be on any team I'd want to be on, you have to try out. For me to skate on the quality team I would want to, my only options are to move or drive over 2 hrs each way to practice...I did the latter for two seasons and it was way too expensive and I don't have the time for that.

I was begged to join a masters team in my area but my skating skills are really too high for that group of skaters (they're more of a "true" masters team of adults who didn't skate as kids that does well but can't be competitive with the top 4 or so masters teams made more of skaters like myself) and I'd just be bored and would rather work on my own skating. And there is a somewhat decent adult open team here but there is no way I'd do an open team, they can't go to nationals.

teresa
12-28-2008, 08:15 PM
no

teresa

SkaterBird
12-28-2008, 08:29 PM
It would have to be a pretty low-level team that accepts older adults (50 in March), but if there was such an animal in my area, yes, in a heartbeat. I'd love it.

montanarose
12-28-2008, 09:07 PM
At this point, I've been skating so irregularly and my skills -- such as they were 8O -- have fallen to the point that no team worth their salt would ever "invite" me to join them :oops:

However, even back in the day when I, arguably, could have joined a local adult/masters' team, I would not have done so. There's no way, with everything else going on in my life, that I could have committed myself in good faith to practices and competitions, and to others who depended on me. Considering family and career, I couldn't have made a synchro team my highest priority, in all good faith, which would have ultimately been unfair to the other team members. And I can just imagine saying to my boss: "Well, sorry, I can't attend that team meeting in Ireland, because it conflicts with my synchro team's upcoming competition." Yeah, RIGHT! :roll:

flo
12-28-2008, 09:33 PM
I like watching it, but I've never been interested in skating on a synchro team. i like the artistic aspect of the ensemble skating, and I did that last season after a very long break from it. It does take a lot of time, and I'd rather spend it on my single and pairs skating.