View Full Version : Do you think YOU would want to be a Pairs Skater...and why?

FSWer
12-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Ok fellow skaters!!!! What I would like to know from you today is...Do you think YOU would want to be a Pairs Skater...and why? I myself would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to be a Pairs Skater. As I'd love to lift my girl way up and I know it would feel soooooooooooo good!!!!! Ok people GO!!!!!!!!! This is all hyphophedical.

jazzpants
12-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Nope! Too much challenge as is on juggling schedule for my OWN skating. I don't want to add a guy into the mix too!!! 8O Besides, I skate for me... and no one else!!! :twisted:

flo
12-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I love it. Pairs is a chance for me to create something different with my skating. My favorite pairs elements are death spirals and throws.

kander
12-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Nope, too dangerous. I don't mind taking risks myself, but I couldn't handle having my partners life in my hands. If I dropped her on her head I'd feel terrible (and it wouldn't do her much good either)

Mrs Redboots
12-26-2008, 08:57 AM
I wouldn't want to be a Silver or Gold pairs skater, but playing around with Bronze pairs moves is quite fun (and lifts are optional at Bronze, although I expect we'll include one if we do put a programme together). I prefer dance, but pairs is a new challenge for us this winter, and will only improve our dance skills, too.

Skate@Delaware
12-26-2008, 06:33 PM
I would LOVE to try pairs...but I can't find a partner (my attempts are recruiting some of the taller hockey guys have been unsuccessful so far)...:frus:

You get to do so much...it would be fun!

teresa
12-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I think pairs would be fun. I'm too old to go here, but if I was a kid I sure would love to try. My old coach would pick me up in jumps occasionaly or skate in general with me and I thought it was great fun.

teresa

miraclegro
12-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Yeah, in my dreams! I'm 48 now and in great shape, but some things are just impossible! But i have tried it on rare occasions with a friend who is a male skater and it is exhilirating!

LilJen
12-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Fairly certain no man would want to try to lift someone who's around 140 lbs. . . :lol: if I did find someone who could, not sure hubby would give the go-ahead due to potential dangers. . .

flo
12-26-2008, 10:43 PM
For those of you who want to give pairs a try, the artistic or interpretive pairs events are a good option. There are no required elements and you can really have fun with it. And 48 is not too old!

Mrs Redboots
12-27-2008, 05:28 AM
Fairly certain no man would want to try to lift someone who's around 140 lbs. . . :lol: if I did find someone who could, not sure hubby would give the go-ahead due to potential dangers. . .
Ahem - I way a tad more than that, but my husband can still lift me! Admittedly not in an overhead lift, but then, those are not allowed at the lower levels anyway!

2salch0w
12-28-2008, 02:50 PM

I've skated with two women who have been at about 130 (at times), and I'm only 145. So for bronze or silver level, it is certainly doable at 140. If you were to find a bigger guy, say 180 or higher, then it wouldn't be a problem at all. As someone said, you can't do the overheads til gold anyway, and there is plenty to work on (and enjoy) in bronze and silver.

There's more than just lifts to pair skating. But with that being said, it is the discipline that is the most demanding in terms of fitness, IMO. The lady should try her best to get at "fighting weight", and the guy needs to be as strong as possible. So not knowing anything about your frame or what is constituting those 140 pounds, if you were to get into a pair then you may want to see if getting it down to 130 would be possible. Then a guy at 150 or more, in shape, would be a fine partner. Still no overheads, but it'd work.

Tim

Rusty Blades
12-28-2008, 04:37 PM
When I started skating the first time (about age 14) it was to one day partner a young man in our club who was BIG (like WAY over 6 feet tall and built like a linebacker!) but skated beautifully. I was tall for my age. By the time I had enough basics to start doing some Pairs, I was about 125 pounds and I swear he could throw me high enough to touch the rafters LOL! Of course, as a teenager, I had no fear :roll: My partner's parents died the following year and he quit skating to run the family business so that was the end of my Pairs career.

Fast forward nearly 40 years and there's no way I would leave the ice voluntarily. I am also nowhere near 125 pounds anymore :giveup: