View Full Version : Random question - can anyone help me with test level comparisons?

Amandaskategirl
12-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I am from the UK but living in Japan and really want to take ice skating lessons here. It is proving really difficult to find a teacher due to the language barrier. I have got a Japanese friend on the case for me but I don't think he knows how to explain my level. He has either received the response that 'skating lessons are only for children' or that 'private lessons are only for professionals'. I am guessing that 'professionals' doesn't necessarily mean only the top skaters. I think if he could tell them my level it would help.

Do you know if there is anywhere online where I might find a comparison between UK and Japanese test levels?

In the UK I have passed level 3 free and elements and level 5 field moves. I was apparently ready for level 6 field but never got around to taking it. I haven't taken regular lessons for nearly a year but when I was last skating I was working on axel and all the doubles apart from lutz in my lessons. I was a long way away from landing them though.

I wouldn't mind doing ice dance. I haven't taken dance lessons since 2004 (I think!) but level 4 compulsories was the last test that I passed.

Any info would be great!

dbny
12-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Could you possibly go and skate somewhere where you could get a coach to see you skate?

Amandaskategirl
12-21-2008, 11:07 PM
There are three rinks I think I could choose from but none of them are particularly easy to get to. I went skating with some friends on a public session and tried to ask then but the rink didn`t offer any kind of info on schedules. They didn`t even have contact details for the coaches.

I don`t know where the other rinks are, only that they exist. I have a map from google which a skater in England gave me but because it is all in Japanese I am reliant on other people to come with me. I don`t really want to keep showing up at rinks hoping that there will be a teacher there anyway.

It is great that my Japanese friend wants to help me and so I want to try and give him as much info as I can.

fsk8r
12-22-2008, 07:28 AM
I would explain your level in terms of what elements you can do and what you're trying to do, rather than worry about test equivalent. I moved to America and my sister to Canada and both of us found that it was easier to explain to people what we could do rather than a test level (and we didn't have a language barrier). It might be worth looking on the internet and seeing if you can find the Japanese translation of axel, camel spin, etc... Given that there are American and British terms for these things (just thinking cherry flip - toe loop), even if your friend translated things, they might not necessarily be understood.

Good luck in finding a coach over there. It would be quite something to learn from just being shown and moved into the correct position if there is a language barrier, and it would be really cool to be able to learn Japanese through skating (even if it does mean you only come back with axel, camel spin...).

doubletoe
12-22-2008, 01:28 PM
I would explain your level in terms of what elements you can do and what you're trying to do, rather than worry about test equivalent. I moved to America and my sister to Canada and both of us found that it was easier to explain to people what we could do rather than a test level (and we didn't have a language barrier). It might be worth looking on the internet and seeing if you can find the Japanese translation of axel, camel spin, etc... Given that there are American and British terms for these things (just thinking cherry flip - toe loop), even if your friend translated things, they might not necessarily be understood.

Good luck in finding a coach over there. It would be quite something to learn from just being shown and moved into the correct position if there is a language barrier, and it would be really cool to be able to learn Japanese through skating (even if it does mean you only come back with axel, camel spin...).

Fortunately, the Japanese terms for the jumps and spins are the same; you just have to mispronounce them in the right way so that they are understood, LOL! And of course, as you know, l's and r's are interchangeable. ;)

toeloop: toh-luupu
salchow: saruko-
loop: luupu
flip: fulip-pu
lutz: lut-tsu (the "u" is prounounced "oo", not "uh")
axel: akuseru
single jump: "ikkaiten no jampu" or "shinguru jampu"
double jump: "nikaiten no jampu" or "daburu jampu"

Ganbatte! :)

P.S. BTW, I don't think there is any such thing as adult skating in Japan, so it could be difficult to find any group lessons for adults or even get a coach to teach you privately. I also know that freestyle ice time is extremely limited and generally only for elite skaters; everyone else has to make do with public sessions.

Amandaskategirl
12-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Oh yes, I know only too well about the l and r sounds in Japanese and adding 'u's. 'I leary wanto tsu shee har berry muchu' and the like is heard multiple times a day by me whilst trying to teach English. :)

Thanks for the info! I hadn't realised that the names of skating moves are the same. But that is what I was afraid of about no adult lessons. I hope that there is somewhere that I can go. You are not allowed to spin on public sessions either :x Maybe the guy who said that the lessons are only for professionals meant it literally.

twokidsskatemom
12-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Oh yes, I know only too well about the l and r sounds in Japanese and adding 'u's. 'I leary wanto tsu shee har berry muchu' and the like is heard multiple times a day by me whilst trying to teach English. :)

Thanks for the info! I hadn't realised that the names of skating moves are the same. But that is what I was afraid of about no adult lessons. I hope that there is somewhere that I can go. You are not allowed to spin on public sessions either :x Maybe the guy who said that the lessons are only for professionals meant it literally.
A good friend of mine is living over in japan for the next two years. Her 18 year old son skates and has been over there to train.What city are you near? I can find out stuff about rinks from her.
They do use public ice there, but that includes olys skaters.They train a different way than in the US. All team, not coaching privates.You buy your ice, and then have lessons with everyone else. They only seem to do privates when doing new programs.

Amandaskategirl
12-23-2008, 12:39 AM
A good friend of mine is living over in japan for the next two years. Her 18 year old son skates and has been over there to train.What city are you near? I can find out stuff about rinks from her.
They do use public ice there, but that includes olys skaters.They train a different way than in the US. All team, not coaching privates.You buy your ice, and then have lessons with everyone else. They only seem to do privates when doing new programs.

That would be fantastic!!! The nearest major city to me is Nagoya. I know there are three ice skating rinks there.

I am happy to take group classes. I guess that fits in with the overall culture here where the emphasis is always on the group rather than the individual.

twokidsskatemom
12-23-2008, 12:55 AM
That would be fantastic!!! The nearest major city to me is Nagoya. I know there are three ice skating rinks there.

I am happy to take group classes. I guess that fits in with the overall culture here where the emphasis is always on the group rather than the individual.

Let me talk to her tomorow and find out what I can.:)