View Full Version : Recreational Skater Needs Advice

katiepillars
12-15-2008, 04:50 PM
I know the subject of which boots and blades are best is varied and highly personal, however, I think my problem might just be a new twist to the age old war.

I'm a 23 year old life long lover of figure skating recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I made it through basic 4 as a kid on a pair of CCM pirouettes, and continued to skate recreationally as an adult on a pair of Glacier 220s.

However, since developing arthritis, my skates hurt like you wouldn't believe. I even attempted to take an adult class and wound up missing 3 of 6 lessons due to pain. I even got kicked off the ice because I was limping once.

My arthritis mainly affects my ankles and the balls of my feet. I also have plantar fascitis... but I don't know a figure skater alive who doesn't, and it doesn't bother me unless I don't do my stretches.

I know ice skates aren't comfortable, but I've had enough people tell me that they shouldn't hurt from the moment I step out on the ice, either.

With so many levels of boots and blades out there, I'm really confused as to what would be good for me.

I don't anticipate to ever to more than beginner stuff due to my arthritis, but I do need more support and comfort than your average recreational skater.

Any ideas to help me enjoy being on the ice again would be great. Especially since my doctor thinks its a great idea.

sk8tmum
12-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Does the cold bother your feet? If that's an issue: then, they look weird, but, the Jackson skates with the thinsulate lining might help. I feel a bit like Spaceman Spiff in mine, but, my feet stay warm; they're easier to lace b/c of the way the hooks and that are placed if there is arthritis in your fingers; they have a real blade with a toepick; quite a good level of support (a bit inflexible maybe) and they're warm (did I mention they're warm?)

Sessy
12-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Well personally I really liked risport etoile with mk21 blades as a beginners boot. it's pretty padded so I didn't get cold feet like in my old two-layer-of-nep-leather-first-skates but also supportive enough for people doing some single jumps so they just may support those ankles.

phoenix
12-15-2008, 07:20 PM
If you're looking for total comfort, try on a pair of SofTecs & see how they feel for you. They give enough support for a beginner, and have a decent blade. There are actually a couple of coaches in my area that wear them when teaching long hours. I believe they also have Thinsulate in them to help keep your feet warmer.

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/department.cfm?id=18B055A5-D610-7E99-D0CF2439EA8FC0D1

AgnesNitt
12-15-2008, 07:26 PM
My arthritis mainly affects my ankles and the balls of my feet.

As an--ahem---mature skater with arthritis of the spine and big toes, plus old ankle injuries, I'd like to make some suggestions.

First, this is the hardest one, try and find a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon who skates. I was lucky enough to have a podiatrist at my rink as the junior hockey coach. Once you've got this person, it really helps. The skating podiatrist was able to pad the soles of my boots (super extra mondo arch supports and a dance pad under the big toe). Saved my feet.

Be aware that as you skate more your feet will actually change. I've had to have my Jacksons reheated to pop out the right big toe and the left ankle after a year of skating in them. I expect I will need to have this done again. So if you have the skates popped once, don't be afraid to go back to your skate tech and get it done again. Also, if you are on the ice more than an hour, your feet may swell, it never hurts to take a break and retie your boots--maybe loosen the laces a bit.

You will need ankle padding. There's lots around. You can look at the Skating Safe website to see if there's something there that's helpful. Bunga pads, and clear clouds are well known. I use a product called Silipos because it pads not only my ankles,but my heels. Sometimes I use lace bite pads cut to custom shapes to position a toe or my heel properly. It's a cheap way to experiment.

When breaking in skates you'll want to leave the top two hooks undone. However, this will feel really hinky. I use pony tail bands on the top two hooks rather than lacing--it holds them just enough, but lets you really bend in the knee. The heavy duty pony tail bands are the best. You can get them at the dollar store or the Five store.

Just a general 'thing' I do, that won't help your foot pain, but will keep your laces and pony tail holders in check. I double stocking, with a white knee high as the outer layer, then I fold the white knee high over the top of the boot to hold the lace ties, et al in place.

You may want to talk to your doctor about the possibility of taking an anti-inflammatory *before* you skate. When I used to show horses, I always popped a couple of aspirin beforehand as a way to keeping the pain from even starting. If your doctor thinks this is a good idea for you to skate, he may have suggestions about your meds that could help.

katiepillars
12-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the great advice!

I have a metal lace tightener which should help save my fingers.

I never thought about the cold being part of the problem. I do have a nasty friend called Raynaud's phenomena from the RA which does something funky to the blood vessels in my finger tips and toes making them cold and blue.

I think I'd like to try on a pair of soft skates, but I'm thinking that something heat moldable is going to eventually be what I end up with, so that I can wear my custom 3/4 orthotics in the skates too.

I want to specially thank Agnesnitt, for the awesome suggestions.

I'm planning a trip to my local specialty skate shop tomorrow. Wish me luck!

AgnesNitt
12-16-2008, 03:31 PM
If the cold (your RA friend you called it) is bothering you. You may want to try electric footwarmers in your boots. Designed for hikers and hunters, but it should work
http://cozywinters.com/therm-ic/

katiepillars
12-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Oooh, thanks. I'll be heading to the backpacker's store soon to get glove and boot warmers!

Today I went to the skate shop and tried on various softec boots but unfortunately they didn't have a style that fit both my feet and my lower leg. They did however order a pair of

http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/frames/frameset-competitive-skaters.htm

for me to try when they come in.

I also love the suggestion of taking anti-inflammatories prior to skating, I would have never thought of that!

dbny
12-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Today I went to the skate shop and tried on various softec boots but unfortunately they didn't have a style that fit both my feet and my lower leg. They did however order a pair of

http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/frames/frameset-competitive-skaters.htm

for me to try when they come in.

Unfortunately, the Jackson link shows more than one model of boot. Which ones are you trying? Depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could also consider custom boots. The least expensive are Klingbeils, which a lot of us adults wear. I have a young adult skater/coach friend with JRA (also affects her ankles), who wears them and is very happy with them. I don't think keeping warm is going to help with the Reynaud's, as it's nerve related, not that it isn't great to keep warm!

katiepillars
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't think keeping warm is going to help with the Reynaud's, as it's nerve related, not that it isn't great to keep warm!

No, but cold things do tend to trigger it.

They ordered the soft skate GS180. They said at the store that if those don't work then I'll probably have to get customs.

I'm just very excited to be skating again, even if its not at the level I'd hoped for.

RoaringSkates
12-19-2008, 10:38 AM

They ordered the soft skate GS180. They said at the store that if those don't work then I'll probably have to get customs.

I'm just very excited to be skating again, even if its not at the level I'd hoped for.

A woman at my rink has those, and they really are far more comfortable than "traditional" skates. I consider them good quality, basic, beginner/recreational boots. I hope they work for you. They are warm.

If you get customs, you can actually get your custom orthotic prescription sent to the boot maker, and they'll build the orthotics into the boot for you.

sk8tmum
12-19-2008, 05:15 PM

The GS180s are very intro level (they're from Jackson's Glacier line) ... you'll probably find that they have not enough support. Our skate store didn't recommend them for our little girl to even try a couple of year's back, although, she was being fitted in tiny girl's skates not ladies' skates :). This model is also vinyl, which means they will be chilly ... and the blade that I've seen them with doesn't have a real toepick, although the new picture on the Jackson's site seems to show a bit more of a pick pattern than I've seen before on these. Just a couple of concerns.

The ones that have the thinsulate are the ST3900. These are the ones that I use; the support is great and the warmth level too and the other stuff I mentioned earlier. Plus, they do have the Mark IV Blade, which has got a decent toepick. You can often get these at stores that carry hockey skates, BTW, not just figure skating stores. There are other of the Jackson Softec skates out there, just without the Thinsulate and with a lower level blade ...you can even order them online from LL Bean!

I'm curious to know why they would say you would need customs? There are so many models out there after all, and do you have weird shaped feet (if you don't mind the very personal question :) )

niupartyangel
12-21-2008, 09:11 PM
I also have RA...been diagnosed two years ago (I'm 27 now). It primarily affects my wrists and it's funny because when I started hurting, the docs thought it was carpal tunnel since i work on the computer all day. I don't have feet pain so I never had problems with my skates (i use riedell bronze star 320 and coronation ace blades), but I did have stiffness and pain on my knees in the beginning (before I started on the meds) so I could never do a good low dip or shoot the duck (I do this weird butt sticking out position). I still can't do a shoot the duck but that might be due to weak leg/quad muscles rather than knees, lol. And I can do lunges now, whereas before I felt too stiff to try them even on the floor.

I skate ISI FS 3 and we'll see if I can get through the backspin part of the change foot spin--so far it ain't happening :P but I do wonder how I would hold up once/if I get up to the sit spins...anyone with arthritis wanna comment on this?

Query
12-23-2008, 10:38 AM
It helps to know where it hurts!

And whether it helps because of excess pressure, or because of a friction burn (e.g., blister).

The Plantar F. and some of the other problems are easily dealt just put tape under your insole to reshape your feet the way that is comfortable. Most of the other problems can be dealt with other simple ways. You can reduce pressure a little by making the boot fit perfectly.

I hope my page helps:
http://www.geocities.com/grunes/boots.html