View Full Version : skating in toronto

613fan
12-15-2008, 12:57 PM
hello all,
i've just moved back to toronto after living overseas for many years. i haven't really skated in 5 years, and i never skated as a kid, but i'm thrilled to have the opportunity to start skating again. can anyone recommend a good club for adults? i want to get back into freeskate, dance and skills. it doesn't need to be specific "adult" sessions, but the club has to be adult friendly - i dont want to be on a session with 6 year olds because i've only passed my preliminary freeskate! i finished my sr bronze dances a couple of yers ago, and i figure it would take me a year to get back to that level.
can anyone make any good recommendations for clubs/coaches (feel free to pm me). i work in etobicoke and live central (eglinton/bathurst). i'd probably prefer to skate right after work in the west end, but i'm flexible.
thanks!

sk8tmum
12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Welcome back ... !

Anyways, Toronto is the COS Region. Here's the link to that website where you can click out to the clubs in the region:

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/

singerskates
12-15-2008, 03:51 PM
You may want to search out these two Yahoo Groups for answers online: Canadian Competitive Adult Skaters and Competitive Adult Skaters. Both are restricted groups, so you'll have to tell about your skating background and so on to be approved for membership which is free.

jp1andOnly
12-15-2008, 07:47 PM
central toronto SC has a great adult focus

Virtualsk8r
12-17-2008, 05:14 PM
The University Skating Club is an adult only club that skates out of Varsity Arena on the campus of the University of Toronto. The arena is on the subway line (either St George or Museum, depending upon the line) and is located next to the ROM on Bloor St just west of University (or Avenue Road to the north)......Check out their website (just google it). Also the North Toronto club is around Yonge and Eglinton - also on the web.

613fan
12-19-2008, 12:56 PM
thanks for your help everyone. does anyone know about the western clubs - in mississauga, etobicoke etc.? there used to be a fabulous rink dedicated to figure skating called arc - does anyone know what happened to it?

Canskater
12-22-2008, 05:14 AM
If you live near Eglinton and Bathurst, there is Upper Canada Skating Club which is out of Mitchell Field ... east of Yonge, south of Finch. There are adult sessions on Tuesday and Thursday evenings .... the Tuesday one is fairly early evening ... the Thursday one is quite late.

There is also Centennial Park Skating Club in Etobicoke which, while it really doesn't have any strictly adult sessions, is an adult-friendly club. They also have quite a good coaching staff ... the drawback is that the fees are quite high.

Hope this is helpful.

-- sheilagh

vladmtf
12-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Hello,

Does anybody know if there is a ticket ice in the morning at 7 a.m.? Toronto, Richmond Hill, Markham, Vaughan.

Thank you.

Canskater
12-26-2008, 06:54 AM
There used to be early morning ticket ice at Thornhill ... not too sure if they still have it though.

-- sheilagh

vladmtf
12-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Thank you.

sk8tmum
12-26-2008, 04:22 PM
The Ice Galaxy arena in Scarborough has 7 a.m. ticket ice ... it's not quite in your geographical area, but, it's not too far afield and at least it's good ice designed for figure skating, and reasonably cheap.

As for Thornhill, here's a link to GTA Skating Academy's schedule and the prices:

http://www.gtaskating.ca/daytimeice.asp

vladmtf
12-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Thank you very much.

Virtualsk8r
12-26-2008, 05:25 PM
ARC is now CIA - Canadian Ice Academy, which is located in Mississauga near the Toronto border.
Check out their website: http://www.canadianiceacademy.com/june19%20figure%20skating_2008-09.pdf

RTC (Richmond Training Centre)has morning ice from 7am- 9am. It's located at Elgin Mills and Leslie in the Tom Graham arena. Check out their website http://www.richmondtc.com/mainpage.html

vladmtf
12-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Thanks a lot.