View Full Version : Any Aberdeen Skaters?

jmb
12-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm moving to Aberdeen next year, and I'd really like to know when the Aberdeen Lynx Arena is expected to open, and where people are skating in the meantime.

jmb

fsk8r
12-12-2008, 03:08 AM
I'm not in Aberdeen anymore, but from what I've heard the rink is still closed.
From what I understand from contacts up there, a lot of people are driving down to Dundee to train now or are going up to Elgin. Elgin is a little curling rink and only has figure skating a couple of days / evenings a week (so most of their skaters used to travel down to Aberdeen to train if they wanted to skate more).

From what I've heard there's been talk of a not for profit organisation taking on the rink, but I don't know how far they've got in talks to the council.

I really hope that they manage to successfully open the rink again, as the people there are really friendly and welcoming and they had some really good coaches.

jmb
12-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for this. I'd noticed Dundee wasn't toooo far off, didn't know about Elgin. I'll look it up now.

jmb

fsk8r
12-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Good luck in finding a rink. I think Elgin might be a bit far (after that it's the one at Inverness), unless you're living north of the city. The road up there (can't remember the number) is a bit windy in places and I wouldn't want to do it in winter. The posts at the side of the road to indicate the edge were REALLY tall. And being a softy southerner I don't really know what snow is.

You should be able to find information about what's happening at the rink when you get there or by looking at the web as from what I've heard there's a lot of chatter in the papers. (fingers crossed they open it again because I loved the place.)

jmb
12-17-2008, 12:20 AM
Well, there's always the train. Unless, of course, there's been the WRONG kind of snow.....

Thanks again,
jmb