View Full Version : Jock strap question - normal or thong type? also, where to buy used?

2salch0w
12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Just Kidding!

Isk8NYC
12-08-2008, 03:32 PM
I didn't know jock straps came in varieties. I don't think ANY intimate wear product should be handed down or sold used, but oddly enough, I saw one for sale at a thrift store. It was packaged, so I guess someone bought the wrong size and donated it? I hope the strap was clean; the package was dusty, so obviously no one was interested.

Skittl1321
12-08-2008, 03:40 PM
On the dance boards I read there are plenty of threads about dance belts- certainly more than those about appropriate bra's, which is why I assume the thread was started. I'm actually surprised the issue has never come up here, though perhaps there just aren't enough men who are highly competitive for it to be a huge issue.

So what made you decide that there was normal or thong? Why not normal or full back? (Since I've only been exposed to dance belts- though not seen one "in use"- I didn't realize that jock straps were available as non-thong. All the dance belts I've seen have been that variety, but perhaps that's what differentiates it from a regular jock strap)

slusher
12-08-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm talking hockey here: No one really resells jock straps because not too many people use jock + garters anymore, but there's a good trade in used jock shorts and UnderArmour. For some reason, that's not icky.

And a jock, for girls is a Jill, eg Jill Shorts.

2salch0w
12-08-2008, 04:22 PM
I just thought "normal or thong" sounded funny. I think you're right, the two types I know of are either like a full brief version, with the straps built in. Or the "normal" version, which is actually like an inverted thong - two straps that go around the sides rather than up the middle. Why is this so funny? I can't stop laughing.

Hysterical story ISK8NYC about finding one in a thrift store. Ewwwww. I don't care if it is in the package. What are people thinking?

The only time I've used these were after my vasectomy. I highly recommend it for that, and I don't just mean for when you're skating. You'll want the support 24/7. Yee-owwww. Other than that, I find them very uncomfortable and unnecessary. As long as you wear the right underwear it should be fine - for example, no boxers. The crossovers will get ya every time.

My funny jock strap story was when I was shopping for one after the big-V and they only had one in my size - men's small. (Stop the snickering, it is based on the waist!) I wanted two, and they also had boy's large. So, it LOOKED about the same size, and I've had to buy in the young men's section before. So who knows what I was thinking - I get it home and try to put it on and YOWZA. I am happy to report I am NOT a boy's large, thankyouverymuch.

Tim

On the dance boards I read there are plenty of threads about dance belts- certainly more than those about appropriate bra's, which is why I assume the thread was started. I'm actually surprised the issue has never come up here, though perhaps there just aren't enough men who are highly competitive for it to be a huge issue.

So what made you decide that there was normal or thong? Why not normal or full back? (Since I've only been exposed to dance belts- though not seen one "in use"- I didn't realize that jock straps were available as non-thong. All the dance belts I've seen have been that variety, but perhaps that's what differentiates it from a regular jock strap)

Skittl1321
12-08-2008, 04:29 PM
I am happy to report I am NOT a boy's large, thankyouverymuch.

LMAO!

(Google dance belt- it's very much a thong, not at all a jock strap. I never knew the difference. Most guys would probably not be caught dead in them! Now I'm going to have to explain the google image searches to my DH!)

MusicSkateFan
12-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Some things are better discussed in a locker room and not on a public forum.

Disgusting!:roll:

jazzpants
12-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Yes, a little too ummm personal for me! However, a GUY started this thread!!! And let's face it... a lot of us women are married and wouldn't mind knowing about these things to help out our skating spouses (that is if our spouse actually skates...) :lol: :P

I think he intended it to be a joke. (Awwww!!! Poor 2salch0w is probably feeling left out b/c he can't participate in the "bra thread." LMAO!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

dbny
12-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Yes, a little too ummm personal for me! However, a GUY started this thread!!! And let's face it... a lot of us women are married and wouldn't mind knowing about these things to help out our skating spouses (that is if our spouse actually skates...) :lol: :P

Yup, too much info :oops:. The thought of my DH, who does skate, ever showing any interest in such undergarments is really hilarious. I bought him a nice pair of men's skating pants at the Lake Placid thrift shop about 7 years ago, and he promptly buried them in a drawer somewhere.

jazzpants
12-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Yup, too much info :oops:. The thought of my DH, who does skate, ever showing any interest in such undergarments is really hilarious. I bought him a nice pair of men's skating pants at the Lake Placid thrift shop about 7 years ago, and he promptly buried them in a drawer somewhere.Yeah, these days I let my DH do his own D*** shopping! I've given up trying to get him to wear something respectable for work or to meet my friends at a restaurant. (My DH is the KING of "t-shirts/hockey jerseys, blue jeans and tennies!!!" :roll: :giveup: :frus:)

sk8er1964
12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Doesn't bother me, but then again I but sports undergarments for my son. They're quite necessary, KWIM?

jskater49
12-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Fair is fair. If we can discuss bras...I guess the guys can talk about their underwear. And it's not like the title doesn't warn you.

Notice it didn't keep me from reading it ;)

j

Debbie S
12-08-2008, 10:15 PM
When I saw the thread title and 2salch0w's first post, I thought, "Hmmm, looks like someone has Bra Envy." :lol:

The only time I've used these were after my vasectomy.Sorry, WTMI. :oops:

kander
12-09-2008, 01:47 AM
I can't think of any reason regular underwear wouldn't be sufficient for figure skating. Now if you were playing hockey you would need to protect the boys.

Kander

katz in boots
12-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Tee-hee. Funny thread!
We only have a couple of adult males who skate at our rink, and one is what we Aussies would call a 'bloke", whereas the other is less worried about what other men think.

Talking about skating pants, the bloke commented that he wouldn't wear such form-fitting pants as the other guy. But I noticed he wears knee-high stockings in his skates. Made me smile.

jazzpants
12-09-2008, 02:36 AM
I can't think of any reason regular underwear wouldn't be sufficient for figure skating. Now if you were playing hockey you would need to protect the boys.I could conceivably see the need for it if the size was sufficient enough for it. :P :lol:

On that note... :oops:

Mrs Redboots
12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I can't think of any reason regular underwear wouldn't be sufficient for figure skating. Now if you were playing hockey you would need to protect the boys.

Well, I was in a group class once and we were asked to do some exercise or other, I forget what now, but I suspect it involved cross-rolls, and one of the men said rather loudly: "Hmmm, bit of a ball-crusher, this one!"

AgnesNitt
12-09-2008, 04:18 PM
The 'dance belt" entry in wikipedia explains the need for them. I don't think it would pass forum censors though. :P

Skittl1321
12-09-2008, 04:28 PM
The 'dance belt" entry in wikipedia explains the need for them. I don't think it would pass forum censors though. :P

Well, dance belts prevent strain during lifts, and extension, something figure skates would benefit from- But do regular jock straps do that?

Sessy
12-09-2008, 04:58 PM
What is a jock strap, and, given that the word thong is mentioned, do I even want to know? 8O

jazzpants
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM
What is a jock strap, and, given that the word thong is mentioned, do I even want to know? 8O
Check your PM... ;)

2salch0w
12-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Well, as someone else already suggested, I was just trying to satire the bra thread. Not that I think that thread is inappropriate or misplaced or anything like that. Just being silly - at least I cracked myself up over it.

But I do have to comment on the locker room statement. I honestly cannot imagine talking about jock straps in a locker room. So, with apologies to David Letterman, here we go:

THE TOP TEN THINGS NOT TO SAY ABOUT JOCK STRAPS IN A LOCKER ROOM

10. Hey, nice jock strap. Where did you get it?

9. Yo, dude, check it out. Do you think I need a jock strap?

8. Oh look, how embarrassing, we both wore the same jock strap.

7. Do you have a jock strap I could borrow?

6. Oh man, can I tell ya, this jock strap is KILLING me!

5. Looks like somebody forgot their jock strap!

4. Excuse me, do you happen to know when the new fall line of jock straps are coming out?

3. Is that your jock strap there or mine?

2. Can you tell me if this thing is even in the back?

*** and the #1 thing not to say about jock straps in the locker room ...

1. Does this jock strap make me look fat?

2salch0w
12-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey, if half of us can talk about supporting our floppy parts, why not the other half? LOL

And as the official laundry doer in my house, I know plenty about bras. What do ya wanna know? :-)

Tim

I think he intended it to be a joke. (Awwww!!! Poor 2salch0w is probably feeling left out b/c he can't participate in the "bra thread." LMAO!!! :twisted: :P :lol: )

MQSeries
12-09-2008, 09:12 PM
I can't think of any reason regular underwear wouldn't be sufficient for figure skating.
Kander

Yup. Your regular tighty whitey should take care of business just fine and this also include for working out in the gym.

Off topic a little bit... Does anyone watch "Talk Soup" on E! ? This week 'Clip of The Week' has a shot of Cameron Matheson doing a scene from All My Children. When he got up from the chair, the camera clearly caught that he was wearing a black thong underneath his jeans, LOL. Why would a guy wear a thong as regular, everyday underwear? Was he afraid of VPL on TV, LOL.

2salch0w
12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
I could tell you about a few experiences in pair skating that almost ended tragically.

Kander

mdvask8r
12-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Check it out, David Letterman! You may need to hire this new writer.
Thanks for some great laughs in this thread!!

slusher
12-09-2008, 09:37 PM
entire post

I'm sticking this in the hockey room tomorrow :):):)

montanarose
12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I think we've just added a new term to the skatingforums lexicon: floppy parts! I love it :mrgreen: and, I regret to say, I have more than a few of them myself :oops:

samba
12-10-2008, 06:28 AM
I could tell you about a few experiences in pair skating that almost ended tragically.

Yup my ex pairs partner would second that, probably sings like a Bee Gee now.

Virtualsk8r
12-10-2008, 09:49 AM
:) Actually - not so inappropriate a thread! I have had to address the issue of support with all of my male skaters in the past. In fact, one guy (an adult) wore those thin spandex black pants for competition and let's just say the view was X-rated (or x-ray'd).....My mantra for him was - tuck it in, tuck it in! until I finally got really annoyed and told him to either get a jock strap or tighter underwear. I always tell the parents of my young male skaters to buy a pair of tight fitting briefs for test and competition days. For some reason all the guys wear those colourful boxers now and not only do you see the waist band when they do a sit spin, but the lines of the boxers show through the pants and the crotch hangs so low that camel spins are a challenge!

I know of a couple of guys who wear speedo bathing suits under their stuff. PS In the old days when guys wore shirts that were body suits - this wasn't as big an issue.

sk8tmum
12-10-2008, 10:43 AM
My son's coach informed him that, at one competition ... one of her skaters came in wearing boxer shorts. She saw the panty lines right before he went on the ice ... so, she took a pair of scissors, and cut them off. (please no comments about ethics!) I believe he had other - support- under the boxers, however. Since then, we've never had an issue with his wearing boxers ... Actually, compression shorts work great under guy's pants, lots of support and - compression - and they also have all of those muscle support benefits. UA makes great ones.

And, he wears body shirts. With long cut legs so that there is no embarrassing panty line in the back.

sk8tmum
12-10-2008, 10:44 AM
:) Actually - not so inappropriate a thread! I have had to address the issue of support with all of my male skaters in the past. In fact, one guy (an adult) wore those thin spandex black pants for competition and let's just say the view was X-rated (or x-ray'd).....

I keep thinking of that old Seinfeld show: shrinkage.

I'll leave it there.

Virtualsk8r
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
I keep thinking of that old Seinfeld show: shrinkage.

I'll leave it there.
:P I wish that were always true...let's just say that guys in tight pants surrounded by beautiful girls (or hot guys if that's the case ) on the ice can often be embarrassing for the coaches who have to watch body alignment...ahem..however the usually teenage guys are oblivious to our embarassment.

Reminds me of a thread somewhere discussing Emanual Sandu's apparent cod piece in the kiss and cry ( is it real or memorex?) :roll:

sk8tmum
12-10-2008, 12:58 PM
:P
Reminds me of a thread somewhere discussing Emanual Sandu's apparent cod piece in the kiss and cry ( is it real or memorex?) :roll:

I know I know thread drift ... but, are you referring to that blue spandex construction that he wore a few years back? My kids were rolling on the floor screaming with laughter about Eman and his "package" ... and notes were flying fast and furious with his choreographer about things that my son would NEVER WEAR IN HIS LIFE and THAT HIS DAD WAS TERRIFIED BY.

Mrs Redboots
12-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Yup my ex pairs partner would second that, probably sings like a Bee Gee now.
Yes, I was not doing exactly what my coach wanted me to the other lesson, as I was afraid of kicking Husband where it hurt..... Coach just laughed, but I don't suppose he would have laughed had it happened to him, which I expect it did more than once in his active skating days (he was both a pairs skater and an ice dancer).

2salch0w
12-13-2008, 04:04 PM
Don't you mean bathing suits OVER their stuff? :)

This is probably the only way I'd get in a Speedo, seeing as I don't have the requisite pot belly to hang over the thing.

Also, I have a couple of skating shirts (both practice and comp) that are the body suit style. I call them my onesies. I do like how they stay so nice and tucked in and flat against the body in front, but they aren't very comfortable in the butt area.

:)
I know of a couple of guys who wear speedo bathing suits under their stuff. PS In the old days when guys wore shirts that were body suits - this wasn't as big an issue.

2salch0w
12-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Ok folks, here's the tally.

Bra thread 47 replies, 1021 views

Jock strap thread 35 replies, 822 views

Go jock strap! Go jock strap!

In a shameless attempt to stir up this thread a bit, here's a little song about jock straps that I wrote with a fellow (anonymous) poster from this forum:

apologies to the B52s, to the tune of LOVE SHACK:

<girls sing>
> He's heading down to Target to buyyyyyyyy
> looking for a wayyyyy, to separate, his boys from the side of
> his thigh
> <guy sings>
> I've got me a problem it's as big as a whale
> and I'm heading on down to get a jock strap
> I've got me a pair, they're hanging kinda funny
> so go ahead and put that jock strap on me!
>
<all sing>
> The jock strap is a funny little thing that keeps you from
> banging together.
> Jock strap yeah yeah yeah.
> <guy>
> The sign said, "1/2 price for used!"
> So I bought TWO of those jock straps
> <girl>
> Now they're tucked way back
> In the middle of his pants
> They won't get in the way
> When he skates pairs or dance, yeah.

> Looooosseeeeee nut. Busted.

LWalsh
12-13-2008, 05:26 PM
> Looooosseeeeee nut. Busted.[/QUOTE]

hysterical!!!....maybe that can be the new men's group number up in LP for adukt week this year!

Lara

sexyskates
12-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Go Jockstrap go!
This is the funniest thread that I've read here. Loved the Top 10 and the B52 song! Who knows, it may make a good Interp. Actually, I saw one of our peers skate to a version of that very same song - Butt Crack instead of Love Shack. So Jockstrap is really not that farfetched.

stacyf419
12-14-2008, 08:50 AM
hysterical!!!....maybe that can be the new men's group number up in LP for adukt week this year!

Lara

I think Lara's idea is one you should follow up on, Tim!!
I just spit my coffee out all over my keyboard...not cool. ;)

Virtualsk8r
12-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Don't you mean bathing suits OVER their stuff? :)

This is probably the only way I'd get in a Speedo, seeing as I don't have the requisite pot belly to hang over the thing.

Also, I have a couple of skating shirts (both practice and comp) that are the body suit style. I call them my onesies. I do like how they stay so nice and tucked in and flat against the body in front, but they aren't very comfortable in the butt area.

SKATING STUFF -- not their equipment!!!! :frus: They tuck their package into the speedo and wear their skating pants over the speedo....:bow: