View Full Version : Off-Ice Suggestions

CoachPA
11-30-2008, 08:25 AM
I was recently brought in to assist with my rink's beginner/developmental synchronized skating team. One of my roles includes running the off-ice portion for these seven girls and I can really use some suggestions on what off-ice exercises are beneficial and age/level appropriate.

This developmental team ranges in age from 6-9 years old. Most of the girls' skating ability is maxed out at the Delta level. Many of them can still use some work to improve their back crossovers, mohawks, etc., especially when you get them all on the ice together. They have no prior synchro experience as this developmental team initally began as a Learn-to-Synchronized Skate program.

Their off-ice portion is roughly 30-40 minutes (followed by 30 minutes on-ice). We stretch, walk through their program & go over counts, review synchro elements (pinwheel, line, block, circle, and intersection), go over the different holds, and do some warm-up type exercises. That is what I can really use some ideas, tips, and suggestions with. (The last few times I've sat in with their other assistant coach, who used to run the off-ice part, I felt like all these girls did was jumping jacks, lunges, and run in place. Occassionally, they'll do a little dance to "Cotton-Eyed Joe" or "The Macarena".)

I have experience working with our collegiate synchro team, but these girls are all 18-years-old+ and very experienced skaters. What I do with our collegiate girls clearly will not work with a younger bunch.

What are some age/level appropriate off-ice exercises for these girls? How hard can I push them without risking injury/exhausting them too much? And, how can I keep their off-ice porition fun?

mdvask8r
11-30-2008, 09:16 AM
For some FUN upper body strengthening:
Wheelbarrow races
frog stands
crab walks (also try crab kick-lines)
push-ups using chairs (both facing the chair & away from chair)
handstands ( if you know how to spot them safely)

Do you have a mirror?
practicing ballet arm positions in front of the mirror is always helpful. If you don't have a mirror, let them partner up & be mirrors for each other.

momof3chicks
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
We find the younger girls have a lot of difficulty with rhythm and skating TO the music (like WITH the beat), so you may try doing some things that helps them get how moving their body TO the beat of the music works.