View Full Version : New to Ice Skating Need Tips

II Annie II
11-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm a 28 y/o woman currently residing in California. I started ice skating as a new hobby. My first time was yesterday with my 7 y/o daughter. I'd like to get some tips on getting the most comfy ice skates for beginners.

I was out on the rink for about an hour and notice pain in my ankle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
~Annie

kander
11-27-2008, 09:21 PM
I assume you're currently stuck with rental skates, which means you don't have much choice. If you want to buy a pair of skates, don't get anything in a typcial sporting goods store. If they carry them at all they would be junk. Try going through a rink pro shop. The only advice I have is to not over-buy. That means don't buy more skate than you can handle. The higher level skates would be so stiff you'd never break them in. You need a lighter boot.

dbny
11-27-2008, 11:39 PM
If your feet are not particularly narrow, there is a wonderful and inexpensive recreational skate for you. The Jackson SoftSkate retails for about $60 and has good support, is durable and comfortable. In general, it runs a size smaller than your street shoes, but I've been noticing that in sizes above adult 7, it seems to be sized the same as street shoes. In any case, it's better to try them on first to be sure. The same skate is available for children for about $5 less. I recommend this skate to all of my beginner students and have not had any disappointed yet. Westwood Sports (http://www.westwoodsports.com/browse.cfm/4,201.htm) in CA stocks them for $50.

If you have very narrow feet you will have to go with a Riedell model 112 or 117. Also a good beginner skate, but I don't thinks it's quite as comfy as the Jackson, and doesn't provide the same support in adult sizes. Try them both, if you can.

flo
11-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Welcome!
I've heard great things about the softskates. Another option, if you want to continue is purchasing a used pair. They will be broken in, but not broken down, and affordable!

Enjoy.

AgnesNitt
11-28-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd like to add a suggestion that will help regardless of whether you get your own skates or not and that's the need for gel protection. There's several brands out there, if your pro shop has them, give lace bite pads a try. If your pain is on the inside of the ankles position the pads so they give you coverage where you hurt. There's also a product called 'Silipos' which looks like a fabric tube with gel on the inside. I use this although I haven't seen it in many places. It slips over your foot and stays in place. You cut it to the right length.

There's other things that might be causing ankle pain--the blade on the skates might be set wrong, you might have tied the boots too tight/too loose, or you might just be learning to use new muscles. You should ask your group coach for advice.

flo
11-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Hi,
Also in Wal-Mart there are small gel pads available in the sock/stocking section. They are a lot less expensive than the ones in skate shops.

herniated
11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I'd like to add a suggestion that will help regardless of whether you get your own skates or not and that's the need for gel protection. There's several brands out there, if your pro shop has them, give lace bite pads a try. If your pain is on the inside of the ankles position the pads so they give you coverage where you hurt. There's also a product called 'Silipos' which looks like a fabric tube with gel on the inside. I use this although I haven't seen it in many places. It slips over your foot and stays in place. You cut it to the right length.

There's other things that might be causing ankle pain--the blade on the skates might be set wrong, you might have tied the boots too tight/too loose, or you might just be learning to use new muscles. You should ask your group coach for advice.

I second this suggestion. They are also called 'Bunga Pads' (manufactures name) usually sold in skate shops for about $20 for one. Expensive but worth it.

jskater49
11-28-2008, 01:51 PM
I think we should be honest with you and say, you can buy skates that fit well and give good support...however "Comfy" will never describe good figure skates. Skates are not comfortable...they never will be comfortable. You get used to it but I feel you should know the truth upfront 8-)

j

Sessy
11-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Well I thought my Risport Etoiles with Mk21 blades were excellent skates to start with, but a lot will depend on your foot. Don't forget any skate will have a break-in period and the risport etoiles did feel pretty harsh on my ankles for about 2 weeks (4 times a week skating).

Another popular skate to start with at our rink, one with less support but also an even shorter break in time and no ankle pain, is graf davos. The Jackson... Mystique or Classique or something are making a quick catch-up since we first got them at our town's skate shop last year. I tried them on for fun and was amazed at the amount of padding. They were pretty comfy. Yet others at our rink swear the Edea are the most comfortable brand of skates ever, but with my narrow feet, I can fit in about 2 of my feet into each skate...

I agree skates are never comfy, but beginner skates shouldn't hurt (actually advanced skates shouldn't either, but some of us have feet with issues, so) - at least, not after an hour. After 3 on the ice, pretty much any skates will hurt. If you have particularly misshaped feet or you're stuck with rental - you could always try bunga pads, or silipo pads. Or take a gel bike saddle covering and cut it up into pieces and use those inside your skates.

Also, if rubbing skin off is the problem, taping your feet with sports tape in those particular places BEFORE skating might help (although some people claim it makes things worse). Also appropriate socks go a long way. Thick socks are not necessarily better, but neither is going barefoot. It all kinda depends on personal preferences. With rental skates, I'd advise against going barefoot at any rate.

II Annie II
11-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Thanks so much! This is all great advice. I never realize that ice skating is so expensive. But it's all worth it. I love it so much already.

dbny
11-29-2008, 01:18 AM
I think we should be honest with you and say, you can buy skates that fit well and give good support...however "Comfy" will never describe good figure skates. Skates are not comfortable...they never will be comfortable. You get used to it but I feel you should know the truth upfront 8-)

j

True, but I don't recommend "real" figure skates for adult beginners unless there is some serious talent showing right away. Even so, the Jackson SoftSkate will last at least a year, and that is enough time to know whether or not one will continue and want to put real money into skates. Meanwhile, far more than $60 would have been spent on uncomfortable and ill fitting rentals. I've put over a dozen beginners in the SoftSkate (both kids and adults), and everyone says they are comfy. BTW, you can do singles in them!

Sessy
12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
BTW, you can do singles in them!

Really? What about spins, are the blades at all rounded? (I think rocker is the proper English term, or is it?) What I've seen around here in soft boots looked like the blades were not only very cheap but also very flat with no room to spin on at all.

dbny
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Really? What about spins, are the blades at all rounded? (I think rocker is the proper English term, or is it?) What I've seen around here in soft boots looked like the blades were not only very cheap but also very flat with no room to spin on at all.

Of course they're rockered :lol:. I think the only blades that are not are speed skating blades and rental blades that have been sharpened to death. Maybe you have seen boots that are soft because they have no support at all. Those are the cheapest vinyl boots and are really garbage. I have one student in the SoftSkates who is doing one foot spins, half rev jumps and working on a sal in addition to pre-bronze moves. The boots and blades are no problem at that level. This is an excellent choice because it works, is comfy, and does not cost an arm and a leg.

Sessy
12-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I went and did a little googling and it seems the skates I've seen so far that were awful are all by a Dutch producer of skates, Zandstra. Here's their website if anyone's interested (as an example of what not to buy, I'm sure) and I think if you click "kunst" (figure) under skates, you'll understand what I mean: http://www.zandstrasport.nl/schaatsen/1index.html
I mean these guys advertise hard plastic as "optimal protection" and what sets figure skate blades apart from other blades is according to them a "hollow", not even toepics!... For example, how do you like this "creation" of theirs: http://www.zandstrasport.nl/pictures/tn_Kunst%20410.jpg or http://www.zandstrasport.nl/pictures/tn_Kunst%20442.jpg I've seen sooo many kids come to the ice skating club on those!

I assume the softskates you are talking what you have over there, about are something like
http://dsp.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p3482812p275w.jpg
http://icemagic.com/images/Style_GS180.jpg
?

dbny
12-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I assume the softskates you are talking what you have over there, about are something like
?

Ugh! I hate plastic boots.

They are the second ones, exactly.

Mrs Redboots
12-02-2008, 06:31 AM

j

Oh, I think I disagree with you there - my skates are very comfortable! Certainly, they weren't when I first had them, but after a week they began to feel like "my skates". Sure, they aren't street shoes - one can only wear even the best skates for a couple of hours, but then, that is all that's wanted!

I would second the suggestion of Softskates for your first year - time enough to upgrade when you know you'll want to carry on.

Sessy
12-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Ugh! I hate plastic boots.
They are the second ones, exactly.

I've never actually seen those at any of the skating shops, but then jackson only made a contract with some of the skating shops in this country last year (meaning shops can rely on the factory for support) so I hope we'll see more of these in the future soon. They sure look a lot better than what most beginners have right now. And on line it says they're only 60 dollar, that is indeed affordable.

CoachPA
12-02-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh, I think I disagree with you there - my skates are very comfortable! Certainly, they weren't when I first had them, but after a week they began to feel like "my skates". Sure, they aren't street shoes - one can only wear even the best skates for a couple of hours, but then, that is all that's wanted!

Well put!

Yes, all figure skates have that somewhat uncomfortable "break-in period" of calluses/blisters and the like, but a good skate technician should be able to match up your feet with a pair of skates appropriate for your skating level, skating stresses, body type/weight, the shape of your foot (irregularities, protrusions, tendon/muscle structure), your disciplines (more supportive boots for freestyle, for example), etc.

Skates that are perpetually uncomfortable likely are not best fitted for your feet or may be too stiff or broken down; however, minor pain on the ankle bone or the outside of the baby toes, for instance, can be alleviated by having your skate technician "punch" out that particular area and skates that begin to feel too snug can be stretched a bit (usually 1/2-3/4") on a special machine.

That being said, Softec Skates (http://www.icelife.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=USA&Category_Code=JACKSON_SOFTEC) can be great for recreational beginners. The thing to remember though is that this is a great recreational skate with an all-purpose blade (although I believe I've seen a model with Ultima Mark IV blades). If you decide to stick with skating and want to pursue it more seriously through ice dance, jumping/spinning, or doing moves in the field, keep in mind that you will need to upgrade to a perhaps a more supportive boot and different blades.

For now, enjoy the exercise, friendship, and challenges skating has to offer and be realistic about how much you can afford to spend on equipment until you're sure of how much time/money you can and want to invest in this sport.

dbny
12-02-2008, 04:09 PM
That being said, Softec Skates (http://www.icelife.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=USA&Category_Code=JACKSON_SOFTEC) can be great for recreational beginners.

Supposedly, the Softec and SoftSkate are the same boot, but I much prefer the lacing system on the SoftSkates. The velcro on the tot skates is OK, but I hate the fabric tabs and round nylon laces on the larger sizes. The tabs pull out too easily, and those laces rip up the fingers and stretch way too much. I would still prefer the Softec over other brands.

aussieskater
12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
That being said, Softec Skates (http://www.icelife.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=USA&Category_Code=JACKSON_SOFTEC) can be great for recreational beginners. The thing to remember though is that this is a great recreational skate with an all-purpose blade (although I believe I've seen a model with Ultima Mark IV blades).

I just had a look on your link and the Elite ($170) does indeed come with the Mark IV blade. But I'd think $170 is a bit expensive for a rec skate (I've seen Jackson Mystiques - and occasionally Classiques, which also come with the Mark IV blade - for less than that) ?

AgnesNitt
12-02-2008, 06:18 PM
I went and did a little googling and it seems the skates I've seen so far that were awful are all by a Dutch producer of skates, Zandstra. Here's their website if anyone's interested !... For example, how do you like this "creation" of theirs: or http://www.zandstrasport.nl/pictures/tn_Kunst%20442.jpg I've seen sooo many kids come to the ice skating club on those!

?

I think the one with the tiny toe rake and no toepick might be for pond skating.

Thin-Ice
12-03-2008, 02:38 AM
If your feet are not particularly narrow, there is a wonderful and inexpensive recreational skate for you. The Jackson SoftSkate retails for about $60 and has good support, is durable and comfortable. In general, it runs a size smaller than your street shoes, but I've been noticing that in sizes above adult 7, it seems to be sized the same as street shoes. In any case, it's better to try them on first to be sure. The same skate is available for children for about $5 less. I recommend this skate to all of my beginner students and have not had any disappointed yet. Westwood Sports (http://www.westwoodsports.com/browse.cfm/4,201.htm) in CA stocks them for $50.

Just out of curiosity, I went to this site and checked out the retail store and hours --- the stores are in Minnesota, not California... which doesn't mean they won't ship to California.. but a new skater might want to try on the skates.

Maybe our new poster could tell us what part of California she's in and some of our skaters in that "neighborhood" could suggest where their local coaches suggest going for a good first fitting?

CoachPA
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
I just had a look on your link and the Elite ($170) does indeed come with the Mark IV blade. But I'd think $170 is a bit expensive for a rec skate (I've seen Jackson Mystiques - and occasionally Classiques, which also come with the Mark IV blade - for less than that) ?

I believe you're right. In my area, skaters can get 'em cheaper at the rink pro shop. I agree that $170 is a bit high for some recreational skaters.

Skittl1321
12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
What about something like the Jackson Mystique or Classique? They might not be as comfortable as the softec- but they aren't very expensive at all.

I'm of the opinion that having your own skates, no matter what they are, is better than rentals- just because you can make sure your blade is sharpened!

I went through Basic 7 on a pair of $60 Lands End skates that my parents had bought me about 12-15 years earlier (they were mostly unused when I was a kid). They worked just fine, they didn't have a ton of support, but Basic 3-7 you don't really need it. The only thing that really scared me was bunny hops because they had practically no toepick (though I didn't realize that was why). Once I got a toepick those went much better. I upgraded when I realized I'd be sticking with the hobby and got Jackson Competitors, which I've now upgraded those blades.