View Full Version : How come my foot still hurts?

Black Sheep
11-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Two weeks ago I fell on the ice and twisted my left ankle when the heel of my blade got caught in the ice at a funny angle as I was going down.

I've tried ice, heat, an Ace bandage, an ankle brace, taping, stretching, massaging....Nothing seems to help. :frus:

Isk8NYC
11-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Best to see a doctor, I think. Sounds like you tried all the usual treatments.

Rusty Blades
11-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Or see a physiotherapist to check for a sprain.

icedancer2
11-26-2008, 07:29 PM
If it is sprained or even strained it will take more than 2 weeks.

Trust me, I know. You really should get it checked out.

jazzpants
11-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Just chiming in agreement with the rest of the group! GET THEE TO A DOCTOR and figure out how bad is the sprain. Meanwhile...BE CAREFUL!!! Better to stay off ice now and let it heal than to further injure the foot and not be able to skate at Sectionals and Nationals.

vesperholly
11-26-2008, 09:10 PM
The last time I sprained my ankle, it took more than three months to fully recover. I walked with a limp for at least six weeks.

fsk8r
11-27-2008, 02:14 AM
Soft tissue damage (ie sprain) takes at least 6 weeks to recover. And then as others are saying, it may take longer than that to get everything back working with each other again.
What you don't know is that you may also have a small fracture to a bone in the leg from the fall and despite the fact that you may have been getting around fine for the last fortnight, it would be worth going to a doctor just to make sure.
I'm not trying to scare you with that, but you'd rather eliminate those sorts of things than have something go undetected.

Thin-Ice
11-27-2008, 03:14 AM
I third or fourth or fifth the recommendation to get to a doctor and listen to what s/he says!!! I sprained my ankle about a year after I started skating.. and had an ISI competition scheduled for about two weeks later (which I thought was SOOOO important at the time). I didn't take as much time off as I should have (because I would have had to withdraw from the competition --and I was the only one in my adult Gamma level event:roll:) and it STILL gives me problems. Don't do that... it's really not worth it causing pain/weakness for the rest of your life!

Mrs Redboots
11-27-2008, 06:59 AM
I sprained my thumb at the Mountain Cup and it is still sore if I do too much with it or spend too much time touching it to my little finger to show a skating friend that I still could, despite the injury (don't ask! It was logical at the time!).... Sprains go on hurting infinitely longer than you think they possibly could.

I tweaked a muscle in my ankle on Tuesday and am so thankful that it was just a tweak and icing it when I got home did the trick.

Black Sheep
11-27-2008, 09:03 AM
After the Thanksgiving-holiday weekend. There are several in my area who can help! ;)

herniated
12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
let us know how it goes!! I pulled my abdominal wall 3 months ago(along with my back) and I am STILL feeling the effects. 8O

LilJen
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
Ankle twists/sprains and other soft tissue (muscles, tendons, ligaments) can take a surprising amount of time to heal. Hope the dr had some helpful treatments & suggestions.