View Full Version : Adults for Autism Competition

w.w.west
11-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Join us for a brand new Adult competition! It's perfect timing between Adult Sectionals and Adult Nationals!

Adults for Autism

Saturday, April 4

Taylor, Michigan

Hosted by Taylor Sportsplex & Heritage Skating Academy

Please contact Gail Sombati @ sombati@wideopenwest.com for more info.

Announcement will be available before the New Year.

A portion of the proceeds will be donated to charitable organizations associated with research and awareness of Autism.

jskater49
11-24-2008, 11:27 AM
If I didn't live so far away this would be something I would support! But I'll think about it.

SkaterBird
11-24-2008, 12:06 PM
I will definitely skate this one if I can get there - and assuming that there will be low-level events. Is this being considered as a potential annual competition?

Mimi

w.w.west
11-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes...there will be events for all levels and disciplines. Yes, we would like it to be an annual event. However, it will not be in April next year because AN is back to it's "normal" time of the second weekend in April. We can't always guarantee that it will be between Sectionals and Nationals. It just happened that way this year because all of the Sectionals are rather early and AN is rather late.

Thanks!

Isk8NYC
11-24-2008, 12:37 PM
You might want to ask the Adult Committee to include this on their USFSA webpage and/or distribute it to the community.

If you post a link to a flyer, I'll send it on to our Skating Club. We have a number of adult members.

w.w.west
11-24-2008, 12:45 PM
You might want to ask the Adult Committee to include this on their USFSA webpage and/or distribute it to the community.

If you post a link to a flyer, I'll send it on to our Skating Club. We have a number of adult members.

Once the announcement is available, it will be posted in various places including U.S. Figure Skating. What is posted on this board is the only flyer available right now. So feel free to use it as a "non-official" offical flyer. I say "non-offiical" because even though we applied for the sanction, I haven't gotten the number yet. Once the number is received, we can post the announcement, etc.

Thanks!

RachelSk8er
11-24-2008, 02:08 PM
If you can't do it in April next year, what about in June/July/August? There really aren't any adult competitions during those months that you'd have to compete with. (Or there doesn't seem to be anything in January.) Especially since next year we'll be back to presumably having both mids AND Wyandotte leading up to ANs.

w.w.west
11-24-2008, 08:17 PM
If you can't do it in April next year, what about in June/July/August? There really aren't any adult competitions during those months that you'd have to compete with. (Or there doesn't seem to be anything in January.) Especially since next year we'll be back to presumably having both mids AND Wyandotte leading up to ANs.

You're right, there are no adult competitions to compete with in the summer. However, there are plenty of standard track competitions, which means that we wouldn't be able to get judges. January....there are plenty of synchro comps. A lot of judges do synchro. and singles...plus there is U.S. Nationals where we would probably lose skaters as well as judges. There is always something. Finding a date is like winning the lottery. When I found out that first week in April was free....I nabbed it. We will see....one year at a time. If this one goes over well, we can think about the next one. Thanks!

AshBugg44
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
It's too bad this is so far away from me! My best friend's nephew has autism and I'd love to support the cause!

TreSk8sAZ
11-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I agree with others that it's a shame it's so far away. I have two cousins with autism and I'd love to be able to do it, but already having to fly from the west coast to other competitions it's just cost prohibitive. But good luck with such a worthy cause!!

RachelSk8er
11-26-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm thinking of doing this one since it's only 2.5 hrs away :) I think some of the other Strongsville Skating Club gang will probably come, too!

flying~camel
11-26-2008, 09:57 AM
I'll probably do it if the entry fees are reasonable since it is only ~ 2 hours away.

It would be REALLY nice if there were compulsory-style events offered. ;)

w.w.west
11-26-2008, 10:23 AM
I'll probably do it if the entry fees are reasonable since it is only ~ 2 hours away.

It would be REALLY nice if there were compulsory-style events offered. ;)

Entry fees will be reasonable.....promise!! :)

I'll check with the referee to see what he thinks about compulsory events. The only problem with that is that it's difficult to have many different events especially for a one day competition. I am hesitant to make it a two day competition because I don't have any idea what the turnout would be since it is a brand new competition. I would hate to schedule two days and then have to tell the rink that we are only having one day...doesn't look good when trying to convince them to host it again. We have to have Solo Dance since this is the first year AN is offering it. If it is a good turnout, we can add more events next year...and possibly another day. Of course, it would be a great problem to have if we had so many entries that we had to go to the rink and ask them for more ice time! Time will tell!

flo
12-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi there,
Will there be a silent auction or other fund raiser at the event> I'd be happy to donate a piece of glass.

w.w.west
12-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi there,
Will there be a silent auction or other fund raiser at the event> I'd be happy to donate a piece of glass.

Yes, we will be having something along that line. I've got a couple items lined up already. How nice of you! Thank you!

flo
12-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Happy to do it!

RachelSk8er
12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Is there an announcement yet?

Black Sheep
12-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm hoping to do this one! ;)

w.w.west
12-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Is there an announcement yet?

Announcement will be out before 2009...stay tuned. :D

flo
12-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks - we may do this one as we probably won't be going to sectionals.

flo
12-30-2008, 05:31 PM
The application has been sent out.

w.w.west
12-30-2008, 05:38 PM
The announcement is now available. It will be posted on our rink website, but probably not until next week. Please pm me with your email address if you would like me to send it directly to you...otherwise I will post the link here when it is posted. It doesn't appear that I am able to post attachments here otherwise I would upload it.

And Flying Camel....I think you will like the one of the events offered. ;)

Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!!

flying~camel
12-30-2008, 05:45 PM
And Flying Camel....I think you will like the one of the events offered. ;)

Woohoo! Compulsories! :bow:

I will probably do either Bronze or Silver (depending on what my coach thinks) and maybe A/D interp!

RachelSk8er
12-30-2008, 09:13 PM
W.W.West--disregard my PM, it was already waiting in my email when I checked it :)

One little gripe--the cutoffs for solo dance. If I were to do solo dance, I can only do one of the two I'll have to compte at ANs because I'm "too high" test-wise to do the lower of the two. I guess it's not a huge issue for me, I'd rather do the Tango and skate up and do the Blues (rather than the 14-step) if I were to do 2 dances, but other people hoping to use this competition as a final warm-up for ANs may run into the same problem.

Thank you for not having apps due until the end of February...I think if they were due any time in Jan, in the midst of fees for sectionals, ANs, possibly NYI or other comps due, it would squash a lot of peoples' ability to come.

w.w.west
12-30-2008, 10:28 PM
One little gripe--the cutoffs for solo dance. If I were to do solo dance, I can only do one of the two I'll have to compte at ANs because I'm "too high" test-wise to do the lower of the two. I guess it's not a huge issue for me, I'd rather do the Tango and skate up and do the Blues (rather than the 14-step) if I were to do 2 dances, but other people hoping to use this competition as a final warm-up for ANs may run into the same problem.

My intention was to have solo dancers have the opportunity to use this as a warmup. If something is preventing this from happening, I'll change it to make it happen. The challenge is trying to match the three levels at AN with the 6 levels. I'm willing to make an addendum if needed. I'm getting better but I"m still dance challenged even though I'm now taking dance. I fear that I will always be a freestyler pretending to be an ice dancer rather than a true dancer. :giveup:

Thank you for not having apps due until the end of February...I think if they were due any time in Jan, in the midst of fees for sectionals, ANs, possibly NYI or other comps due, it would squash a lot of peoples' ability to come.

No problem...glad I could be of assistance! ;)

flying~camel
12-31-2008, 06:58 AM

I am grateful for this, too! The main reason I am not doing Wyandotte/Mids is because I can't afford that entry fee + ANs right after Christmas!

RachelSk8er
12-31-2008, 07:50 AM
My intention was to have solo dancers have the opportunity to use this as a warmup. If something is preventing this from happening, I'll change it to make it happen. The challenge is trying to match the three levels at AN with the 6 levels. I'm willing to make an addendum if needed. I'm getting better but I"m still dance challenged even though I'm now taking dance. I fear that I will always be a freestyler pretending to be an ice dancer rather than a true dancer. :giveup:

No problem :)

A lot of competitions will word solo dance so that it skaters may enter any dance at a level they have "completed, partially completed, or one level higher." That should help everyone out so that they could do both dances they would potentially be doing at ANs without being "too high" for the lower dance or "too low" for the higher dance depending on their test level. While this means technically a gold skater could go all the way back and compete a preliminary dance, that normally doesn't happen. Dancers typically tend to know where they belong and especially with solo dance, they aren't going to go back and compete a dance they passed a long time ago, they're going to stick to competing the ones they are working on or have recently passed.

phoenix
01-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I was just going to comment on the same thing--the rules preclude me from doing the gold solo dance, which is the one I really would need feedback on.

In the future, you may want to match the test requirements to that of ANs to encourage participation. I would only be qualified to do 1 solo dance (pre-gold), which makes it not worth the trip. Oh well, maybe next time!

w.w.west
01-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Like I said in a previous post, I'll change it to make it happen. It is stated earlier in the announcement that a skater can enter their current level or one level higher but not both. It also states that this rule excludes Solo Dance. So.....one can enter two dances if they wish. Sorry....I'll try to make it clearer next time. It is a little confusing. :giveup:

w.w.west
01-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Here is the link to Taylor Sportsplex. The announcement is now posted.

http://taylorsportsplex.com/pageIce_FigureSkating/

Black Sheep
01-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Why's everything booked the weekend of April 4? Is there a convention in town or what? The closest decent hotel I could book direct online is 15 minutes from the rink.8O

SkaterBird
01-12-2009, 11:17 PM
Why's everything booked the weekend of April 4? Is there a convention in town or what? The closest decent hotel I could book direct online is 15 minutes from the rink.8O

Yikes! Where did you find a room? I haven't tried to book one yet - I guess I'd better get on that!

Black Sheep
01-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Yikes! Where did you find a room? I haven't tried to book one yet - I guess I'd better get on that!

Comfort Inn, near the airport. :roll:

w.w.west
01-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi there,

Yes...I just recently found out that the NCAA Final Four tournament is at Ford Field in Detroit that same weekend. Well...I didn't just find out....I don't live under a rock and something that big is hard to ignore, but let's just say that it dawned on me that it was the same weekend when I was talking to the Holiday Inn in Southgate about reserving the room blocks for the skaters and the officials for the weekend. When they told me they were booked (actually, overbooked), I asked what was going on. It didn't even dawn on the sales rep. I was talking to why. She had to find out and call me back. Then it was the "Ohhhhh......right, of course" kind of thing. Anyway.....there are closer hotels available than the airport. Listed below are hotels that have availability according to their online websites.

http://www.redroof.com/reservations/inn_details.asp?innNumber=189
I-75 at exit #36, Eureka Rd
21230 Eureka Rd, Taylor, MI, United States, 48180
Phone: (734) 374-1150 Fax: (734) 374-1159

http://www.ramadataylordetroit.com/
20777 Eureka Road
1-75 Exit 36 Eureka RD
Taylor, MI, 48180 US

734-283-2200

http://www.holidaywoodhaven.com/

1500 West Road
Woodhaven, MI 48183
Tel: 1-734-362-0933
Fax: 1-734-362-0937

I have not physically been on any of the properties, but I will be visiting them within the next two weeks to discuss room blocks. Also, Taylor is south of Detroit...so the further south you go, the better options there will be. You won't have to worry about traffic due to the tournament or anything like that. I'll keep you all updated as I find out further information. Sorry for the inconvenience. How dare another sport intrude on OUR sport. :giveup:

Black Sheep
01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
I just got a good deal at the Ramada one--and only SEVEN minutes from the TSX! :D

RachelSk8er
01-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Wow, forget a hotel. If I'm able to go, I think I'm just going to drive up and back in one day (I used to do Cleveland to Dearborn and back in one day every week for synchro practice when I was on Crystallettes, so this is no biggie). One of my fellow competitors who may also be going lives in Bowling Green, so I could just stay with her the night before if I have an early event.

w.w.west
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
A block of rooms has been secured at the following hotel for April 3 -5:

Ramada Inn
20777 Eureka Road
1-75 Exit 36 Eureka RD
Taylor, MI, 48180 US
Rates from $69 - $89

734-283-2200

Please mention Taylor Sportsplex when booking. Book by March 1 or block will be released.

Happy Skating!

w.w.west
02-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Just bumping up to remind everyone. For those of you who will be at Mids this weekend, feel free hand deliver to me. I'll be in and out all weekend, but definitely will be around to watch and there will also be a meeting to fill people in on what the Adult Skating Committee has been working on this season. I'm trying to figure out the time for it right now. Looks like the best time might be right after the comp. on Saturday. Should only take 1/2 hour at most.

Remember for those entering Solo Dance, feel free to enter as many dances as you wish. The wording did not come out the way intended on the annoucement.

Happy Skating!

sk8er1964
02-16-2009, 11:38 AM
w.w.west -

Just FYI, I am planning on attending. I want to wait until after Mids to see if I want to compete one, both, or none of the dances. It just depends on how they go. ;)

w.w.west
02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
w.w.west -

Just FYI, I am planning on attending. I want to wait until after Mids to see if I want to compete one, both, or none of the dances. It just depends on how they go. ;)

No problem. Figured a lot of people were going to wait to make a decision until after mids. That's why the deadline is conveniently the day after.
;)

flying~camel
02-16-2009, 02:25 PM
I'll give you my entry form at Mids! :)

SkaterBird
02-16-2009, 03:17 PM
w.w.west -

I'm attending too - I look forward to seeing you again!!! :D I cannot attend mids this year (conflicts with my daughter's hockey schedule - I'm a hockey mom now! :roll:), so it'll be fun to reacquaint with the skaters I met last year in Ann Arbor, this year at Adults for Autism!

Mimi

sk8er1964
02-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm attending too - I look forward to seeing you again!!! :D I cannot attend mids this year (conflicts with my daughter's hockey schedule - I'm a hockey mom now! :roll:), so it'll be fun to reacquaint with the skaters I met last year in Ann Arbor, this year at Adults for Autism!

Mimi

It will be good to see you too :)

Yay for hockey moms! Now that I understand the game, I love it. My son will be 14 soon, and starting his 9th year of playing hockey this spring. 8-)

flo
02-17-2009, 10:16 AM
We're planning on entering gold pairs, but won't make plane or hotel reservations until we know there will be another pair out there.

flo
02-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Applications due today.

flying~camel
02-23-2009, 09:42 AM
I turned my form in to w.w.west yesterday at Mids, so I'll definitely be there! :)

I signed up for Bronze compulsories and Interp A/D.

RachelSk8er
02-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Sending mine in today :)

w.w.west
02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
I turned my form in to w.w.west yesterday at Mids, so I'll definitely be there! :)

I signed up for Bronze compulsories and Interp A/D.

And I filled out my AN program info. but then couldn't find any of the West Michigan crew. You must have left by then. I'll scan it and send it via email and will send my photo as well.

I'm looking forward to being very busy inputting entries this week! :lol::P

flying~camel
02-23-2009, 10:47 AM
And I filled out my AN program info. but then couldn't find any of the West Michigan crew. You must have left by then. I'll scan it and send it via email and will send my photo as well.

I'm looking forward to being very busy inputting entries this week! :lol::P

We left shortly after Silver III (and went to Ikea, where I spent way too much money, LOL!), but yeah, you can just email it to an09@ggrfsc.org. :)

flo
02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
It's in the mail. Hope to see everyone there!

RachelSk8er
02-23-2009, 08:47 PM
We left shortly after Silver III (and went to Ikea, where I spent way too much money, LOL!), but yeah, you can just email it to an09@ggrfsc.org. :)

I'm emailing you my info, too...you handed me the form, I filled it out, and POOF! Y'all were gone! Bummer, didn't get to even really talk to you because I was so crazy busy with 4 events on Saturday and 1 on Sunday!

w.w.west
03-22-2009, 10:36 PM
Here is the schedule. If anyone is interested in program ads, please contact me. We've also gotten a lot of cool things for the silent auction!

12:00 PM 12:09 PMPreliminary SD
12:09 PM 12:18 PM Pre-Bronze SD
12:18 PM 12:27 PM Bronze SD
12:27 PM 12:38 PM PreGold SD
12:38 PM 12:47 PM Gold SD
w/u together 12:47 PM 12:47 PM PreBronze Ladies FS (3)
12:47 PM 1:00 PM Bronze Ladies FS (1/2)
w/u together 1:00 PM 1:00 PM Bronze Ladies FS (3/4)
1:00 PM 1:24 PM Bronze Ladies FS (5)
1:24 PM 1:37 PM Silver Ladies FS (YA/1)
1:37 PM 1:53 PM Silver Ladies FS (2/3/4)
1:53 PM 2:03 PM Silver Men FS (5)
2:03 PM 2:18 PM Ice Make
2:18 PM 2:28 PM Masters Pairs
2:28 PM 2:48 PM Exhibition
2:48 PM 2:58 PM Masters Compulsory Moves
Z 2:58 PM 3:11 PM Silver Compulsory Moves
3:11 PM 3:23 PM Gold Ladies FS (YA/1)
3:23 PM 3:42 PM Gold Ladies FS (2/3)
3:42 PM 3:55 PM Masters Int/Novice FS (YA)
w/u together 3:55 PM 3:55 PM Masters Int/Novice FS (2/3)
3:55 PM 4:13 PM Masters Int Men FS (3)
4:13 PM 4:31 PM Masters Junior/Senior FS (1/2)
4:31 PM 4:46 PM Ice Make
4:46 PM 4:59 PM Adult Light Ent (2/3/5)
4:59 PM 5:12 PM Adult Dramatic Interp Men (3/5)
5:12 PM 5:25 PM Adult Dramatic Interp (YA/1)
5:25 PM 5:38 PM Adult Dramatic Interp (3/4/5)
w/u together 5:38 PM 5:38 PM Masters Dramatic Interp (YA)
5:38 PM 6:01 PM Masters Dramatic Interp (1)
6:01 PM 6:16 PM Masters Dramatic Interp (2)
6:16 PM 6:28 PM Couples Interpretive

flying~camel
03-23-2009, 07:08 AM
So glad I don't skate until 5:12, so I can make it a day trip :)

RachelSk8er
03-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Day trip for me, too! Long day trip, but a day trip nonetheless!

I'll even get to skate for an hour on our 8-9am session at home before I have to drive up. Yay for not having to lose a whole lot of practice time, given I usually only skate Friday, Sat and sometimes Sundays because work/school get in the way of skating!