View Full Version : Skating dress pattern...

isakswings
11-23-2008, 10:58 AM
My mil gave me this pattern. I was wondering if any of you have used it?

http://www.butterick.com/item/B6787.htm

I'm a bit concerened about putting a zipper in!

Thanks.

CanadianAdult
11-23-2008, 02:53 PM
The skirt is incredibly short. It's not a bad pattern otherwise.

It's not hard to put a zipper into lycra but it's hard to do well. Use fabric glue or that double sided basting tape to baste it in, do not pin and do not stretch the fabric. No matter how much you hate invisible zippers, they are the best as the binding on them is more flexible.

isakswings
11-23-2008, 03:34 PM
The skirt is incredibly short. It's not a bad pattern otherwise.

It's not hard to put a zipper into lycra but it's hard to do well. Use fabric glue or that double sided basting tape to baste it in, do not pin and do not stretch the fabric. No matter how much you hate invisible zippers, they are the best as the binding on them is more flexible.

Can the skirt be lengthened?? Thanks for the advice about the zipper. Is that hard to do?

Tennisany1
11-23-2008, 05:34 PM
I have tried this one. I sew A LOT with fairly complex patterns and this pattern is a complete nightmare. I have made 5 skating dresses with Kwik Sew patterns and they are the only ones I use now. They have great designs, are easy to fit and a snap to put together. I don't mind difficult, but this pattern is not worth it.

Okay, was I clear enought about that :P

I would suggest you look at:

http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_thumbs.cfm?Cat=Children&Level=Girl_Swim_Activewear&QL=GirlSwimActive

Pattern number 3164 is one of my favourites. I have also made 2733 (page 2) but dd now likes a straight skirt.

Skittl1321
11-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Can the skirt be lengthened?? Thanks for the advice about the zipper. Is that hard to do?

Yep- skirts can always be lengthened. When you cut the pattern piece just add a few inches from the end- it's probably cut on a curve, so mark it out and measure a few times. I always make skirts too long- they can always be shortened later, but it's tough to make them longer after you cut.

If you enjoy sewing, I highly recommend you look at Jalie patterns- super easy to make, I've done 4 of the patterns now and love them all.

Tennisany1
11-23-2008, 06:02 PM
I haven't tried Jalie patterns but I have just looked them up on the net and they have some great styles. I'll have to try one next time.

Here is the link: http://www.jalie.com/sewingpatterns/figureskating.htm

isakswings
11-23-2008, 08:09 PM
I have tried this one. I sew A LOT with fairly complex patterns and this pattern is a complete nightmare. I have made 5 skating dresses with Kwik Sew patterns and they are the only ones I use now. They have great designs, are easy to fit and a snap to put together. I don't mind difficult, but this pattern is not worth it.

Okay, was I clear enought about that :P

I would suggest you look at:

http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_thumbs.cfm?Cat=Children&Level=Girl_Swim_Activewear&QL=GirlSwimActive

Pattern number 3164 is one of my favourites. I have also made 2733 (page 2) but dd now likes a straight skirt.

Thanks! I have a qwik sew pattern cut and ready to assemble. I just need to get this machine running! :-) Anyway, thanx! I appreciate the feedback.

isakswings
11-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Yep- skirts can always be lengthened. When you cut the pattern piece just add a few inches from the end- it's probably cut on a curve, so mark it out and measure a few times. I always make skirts too long- they can always be shortened later, but it's tough to make them longer after you cut.

If you enjoy sewing, I highly recommend you look at Jalie patterns- super easy to make, I've done 4 of the patterns now and love them all.

I'm just learning, but I want to try those once I get good enough at it. I'd love to get good enough to make dresses for others but that is definately a ways off!! LOL

Isk8NYC
11-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Simplicity has a "Learn to Sew" course online. I also recommend their illustrated books, you can borrow copies from a Library.

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=22052&highlight=simplicity

BuggieMom
11-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Yep- skirts can always be lengthened. I always make skirts too long- they can always be shortened later, but it's tough to make them longer after you cut.
Ditto

If you enjoy sewing, I highly recommend you look at Jalie patterns- super easy to make, I've done 4 of the patterns now and love them all. I have made a few, and the only issue I have is that sometimes the bottoms can be a bit high cut...too much cheek showing, or that the elastic in the leg is a bit tight. Which is easily fixed.

Wonder tape...'nuff said. Double sided wash away basting tape. I have successfully put in every zipper from my first to my most recent using Wonder Tape and have never had a problem. Use it.

All in all, the more you do it, the better you get. Don't let your first few tries decide for you, or I would have quite a long time ago. I just finished an order for 17 dresses for a synchronized team, and I guess I would never have gotten this far if I had never "tried"
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!

isakswings
11-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Ditto

I have made a few, and the only issue I have is that sometimes the bottoms can be a bit high cut...too much cheek showing, or that the elastic in the leg is a bit tight. Which is easily fixed.

Wonder tape...'nuff said. Double sided wash away basting tape. I have successfully put in every zipper from my first to my most recent using Wonder Tape and have never had a problem. Use it.

All in all, the more you do it, the better you get. Don't let your first few tries decide for you, or I would have quite a long time ago. I just finished an order for 17 dresses for a synchronized team, and I guess I would never have gotten this far if I had never "tried"
DO IT!
DO IT!
DO IT!

Sounds good to me! I certainly need a way to help earn money for skating! :-)