View Full Version : Ice Oasis

kander
11-22-2008, 01:16 AM
For the Bay Area skaters out there, there is news on the Redwood city rink (the "Ice Oasis"). Apparently it was repo'ed by the bank and sold to some middle eastern guys. They are renaming it the "Nazereth Ice Oasis". Hopefully they will put some improvements into the place.

jazzpants
11-22-2008, 02:56 PM
For the Bay Area skaters out there, there is news on the Redwood city rink (the "Ice Oasis"). Apparently it was repo'ed by the bank and sold to some middle eastern guys. They are renaming it the "Nazereth Ice Oasis". Hopefully they will put some improvements into the place.
I don't know... I'm more fearful that they are gonna close down the rink and turn the place into a condo or something... :??

kander
11-22-2008, 10:22 PM
I don't know... I'm more fearful that they are gonna close down the rink and turn the place into a condo or something... :??

8O I hope not. It's in an industrial area so I doubt it. They have an artists rendition in the lobby of what they want it to look like.

jazzpants
11-23-2008, 07:12 PM
8O I hope not. It's in an industrial area so I doubt it. They have an artists rendition in the lobby of what they want it to look like.
I should go there and check out the artist's rendition. I haven't seen the rendition on the website yet. I sure hope that it doesn't become another Berkeley Iceland.

Thin-Ice
11-24-2008, 03:08 AM
This is the rink where my coach is, so I'm there twice a week. The new owners changed over two weeks ago. They're on-site everyday and asking questions about how ice rinks work and what is required and talking to the coaches and some of the parents and skaters, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being turned into condos or anything except a better rink. They've taken down most of the old banners and are ordering new jackets for the coaches with the new rink name. They are also requiring coaches to wear name badges so if anyone has a question about something they will know to go to a coach for information, not just some random person standing in the lobby.

We had a test session there on Friday and they were upstairs watching, since they had never seen a test session before. I'm going to take this all as good news.. since the place was deteriorating and the previous management was pretty much ignoring the problems, while jacking up the prices and requiring people to join the Ice Oasis club or pay about $3 more for each hour of freestyle ice. The previous owners also increased the coaches' costs starting in September... which of course translates into higher lesson prices. That's not likely to change with the new management, but at least they're being more open about their policy changes and the reasons behind them!