View Full Version : Dd is so proud!

isakswings
11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
She's consistantly landing her loop jump! :-) She was landing it last week but was cheating. Yesterday, she was practicing before her lesson and her coach happened to see her as she landed the jump. I honestly expected her to tell me she cheated again when to my surprise she said, "Nice loop!" WOO HOO. Then, before and during her lesson, she landed it several more times. I know it isn't an axel, but for us it's pretty cool she's consistantly landing this jump! It took her about a month to get this jump.

peanutskates
11-21-2008, 03:52 AM
yay, congratulations to her!! it's really cool when you land any jump for the first time. after i landed my loop, i kept doing it for about an hour, straight :P good luck with the next (flip?)

and, woah, a month?? nice. it took me about 3 or 4 months.. and to get it properly from back crossovers, another month..

Skittl1321
11-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Huge congrats to her! The loop is hard!

Mrs Redboots
11-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Well done her! I wish Husband's loop was more consistent.

isakswings
11-21-2008, 10:15 AM
yay, congratulations to her!! it's really cool when you land any jump for the first time. after i landed my loop, i kept doing it for about an hour, straight :P good luck with the next (flip?)

and, woah, a month?? nice. it took me about 3 or 4 months.. and to get it properly from back crossovers, another month..

Yes, a month(give or take a little) her coach told me it took her about a month to land it. To be fair, it was introduced a bit earlier then that but she's been actively working on it for a month and landed it within that time frame.

Oh and as for the next jump, yes I think it is the flip and then the Lutz.

isakswings
11-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Well done her! I wish Husband's loop was more consistent.

Thanks! We'll see how she does today!

isakswings
11-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Huge congrats to her! The loop is hard!

Thanks! She's still pretty excited. I'm hoping she continues to land it today. :-)

Angie

FigureSk8Dad
11-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Congratulations! That was a tough one for my dd to get. She was so frustrated learning it. Give her a little more time and your dd will turn it into a loop-loop combination.

isakswings
11-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Congratulations! That was a tough one for my dd to get. She was so frustrated learning it. Give her a little more time and your dd will turn it into a loop-loop combination.

Thanks! Oh and the day she landed it several times, her coach showed her the loop-loop. Dd tried it but she needs to figure out how to be faster at going into the second loop. I don't think it will take her long to get it tho! Coach was revamping her program on Friday, so they didn't work much on jumps. Then dd crashed and fell on her knee while practicing and couldn't jump anymore. She was frustrated. "Mom, I can't even do a waltz jump!" Poor girl. She was better yesterday and was back to her normal self and jumping around the house.

So, one question for you. Does your dd do random jumps off ice even when you are out somewhere? Dd will do it w/o thinking! It's quite funny. Thankfully, she is pretty good about not jumping in crowded places and I hope she doesn't do it w/o thinking while at school. LOL!!!

FigureSk8Dad
11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
So, one question for you. Does your dd do random jumps off ice even when you are out somewhere? Dd will do it w/o thinking! It's quite funny. Thankfully, she is pretty good about not jumping in crowded places and I hope she doesn't do it w/o thinking while at school. LOL!!!

Ha, get used to that. Not only is she jumping around at home all day, but whenever we are out. I don't know how many times I have been asked if she's a ballerina. It kind of cool to see the looks on peoples' faces when she does an off ice axel. Oh, and it doesn't end with jumping she's always streching everywhere. She can pull her foot back over her head and onto her face. That one gets them good too, and the I-spiral position. I just wish I could get her to do those on ice.

Congrats again about the loop, it's a big step for our dds.

isakswings
11-23-2008, 03:42 PM
Ha, get used to that. Not only is she jumping around at home all day, but whenever we are out. I don't know how many times I have been asked if she's a ballerina. It kind of cool to see the looks on peoples' faces when she does an off ice axel. Oh, and it doesn't end with jumping she's always streching everywhere. She can pull her foot back over her head and onto her face. That one gets them good too, and the I-spiral position. I just wish I could get her to do those on ice.

Congrats again about the loop, it's a big step for our dds.

Oh yes, she stretches too! It's that and the jumping. Her best friend is a figure skater so you should see them together out in the front yard jumping! Her friend has an axel so they sometimes do axels off ice. It's quite comical to watch!

We get this one a lot http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/isaks_wings/janaecomppose-1.jpg

BUT that's probably why she has a beautiful catch spiral! Her friend's Y/side spiral is so pretty! Dd isn't there yet, but she's getting better at it. Anyway, glad to know we are not alone!

Tennisany1
11-23-2008, 05:38 PM

My dd does this constantly! Down the isles at the supermarket, along the sidewalk ... anywhere! She also randomly goes into an arabesque spiral position ... again, just anywhere. It is quite funny really!

isakswings
11-23-2008, 05:42 PM
My dd does this constantly! Down the isles at the supermarket, along the sidewalk ... anywhere! She also randomly goes into an arabesque spiral position ... again, just anywhere. It is quite funny really!

YUP. Mine too! When we have her friend with us, it is doubly funny. IMO, that only re-affirms how much she loves this sport!

CoachPA
11-23-2008, 05:57 PM
That's great your daughter finally nailed her loop. My little student just landed hers about three weeks after learning it. It's so neat when the jump finally "clicks" for them.

isakswings
11-23-2008, 08:14 PM
That's great your daughter finally nailed her loop. My little student just landed hers about three weeks after learning it. It's so neat when the jump finally "clicks" for them.

Yes it is!! She feels great about it. I don't think it will take her long to learn her loop-loop either. Her coach said once the loop is landed the other 2 remaining jumps seem to come easier. Is that what you have found too?

CoachPA
11-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Yes it is!! She feels great about it. I don't think it will take her long to learn her loop-loop either. Her coach said once the loop is landed the other 2 remaining jumps seem to come easier. Is that what you have found too?

Well, the flip and the lutz have the same in-air position as the loop, so in that respect, a skater can better understand how their body's supposed to feel in-air, the free leg movement upon landing, etc. and can usually transfer the muscle memory to these jumps, but each skater's different. Some take more time than others.

The kid's I teach usually pick the flip up shortly after mastering their loop, but for some reason, completely freak on the lutz despite some of its similarities to the flip. When I ask to see a lutz, they won't even rotate it more than halfway! Something about it being a single jump rather than a half lutz. I think a lot of it is mental...but then again, I'd say 90% of skating is mental.

isakswings
11-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, the flip and the lutz have the same in-air position as the loop, so in that respect, a skater can better understand how their body's supposed to feel in-air, the free leg movement upon landing, etc. and can usually transfer the muscle memory to these jumps, but each skater's different. Some take more time than others.

The kid's I teach usually pick the flip up shortly after mastering their loop, but for some reason, completely freak on the lutz despite some of its similarities to the flip. When I ask to see a lutz, they won't even rotate it more than halfway! Something about it being a single jump rather than a half lutz. I think a lot of it is mental...but then again, I'd say 90% of skating is mental.

Thanks! I was hoping they would work on some jumps on Friday but her coach was tweaking her program. She decided she didn't like dd's program anymore so she is re-choreographing(sp) it. Darn it, I was looking forward to dd not having to learn a new program for a bit. LOL!!!

Anyway... thanks again. It'll be fun to see how these jumps go!