View Full Version : 2009 Adult Nationals announcement available

NoVa Sk8r
11-19-2008, 09:53 PM
Let the games begin!
http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/forms/

vesperholly
11-20-2008, 04:59 AM
I couldn't remember these, so for everyone entering this wonderful new event, here you are!

Solo dance qualifications:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=41600

Terri C
11-20-2008, 06:48 AM
NoVa, where the heck have you been?? :P:P
I looked on the USFS website last night, signed in to the "Members Only" section and printed it out!!!

flying~camel
11-20-2008, 07:09 AM
New for AN 09 is that most of the LOC forms are available to be filled out online (that's what happens when you have a web developer on the LOC ;))!

You may have noticed that there is no practice ice form in the announcement. That is because, this year, we have partnered with Don Korte and Sk8Stuff.com and practice ice will be reserved online!

Once we determine the practice ice schedule, you will be able to log into a sub-section of www.sk8stuff.com and reserve whichever practice ice sessions you want!

If you have any questions, please contact us via www.ggrfsc.org/an09/contact!

Mel On Ice
11-20-2008, 09:19 AM
If you have any questions, please contact us via www.ggrfsc.org/an09/contact!

All love letters warmly recieved.

mdvask8r
11-20-2008, 11:42 AM
. . . You may have noticed that there is no practice ice form in the announcement. That is because, this year, we have partnered with Don Korte and Sk8Stuff.com and practice ice will be reserved online! . . .
What?? No sitting in line for hours to buy practice ice?? This is so totally cool! May it help keep the whining to a dull roar.

flying~camel
11-20-2008, 12:10 PM
What?? No sitting in line for hours to buy practice ice?? This is so totally cool! May it help keep the whining to a dull roar.

Once the competition starts, the online system won't be available and you'll have to maybe stand in line to reserve, but it definitely won't be anything like Placid!

jazzpants
11-20-2008, 12:53 PM
New for AN 09 is that most of the LOC forms are available to be filled out online (that's what happens when you have a web developer on the LOC ;))!

You may have noticed that there is no practice ice form in the announcement. That is because, this year, we have partnered with Don Korte and Sk8Stuff.com and practice ice will be reserved online!

Once we determine the practice ice schedule, you will be able to log into a sub-section of www.sk8stuff.com (http://www.sk8stuff.com) and reserve whichever practice ice sessions you want!

If you have any questions, please contact us via www.ggrfsc.org/an09/contact (http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/contact)!
YAAAAAY!!! This is just great!!! TECHIES RULE!!! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k010.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k015.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k020.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k025.gif http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/k030.gif

(Yes, if you don't already know, I'm a techie too!!! :halo: )

Stormy
11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
Just seeing the announcements makes me all nervous! :) Anyone know when the non-qual info will be out for Easterns?

flo
11-20-2008, 06:43 PM
It's up on the USFSA site.

mdvask8r
11-20-2008, 07:29 PM
The Easterns announcement posted is only qualifying events. Anyone know when the non-qual announcement will be revealed? It's not on the LOC website either.

NoVa Sk8r
11-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Just FYI, here is the USFSA page that links to AN and all the qualifying sectional announcements:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=42210

flo
11-20-2008, 08:50 PM
non-qualifying events were also in the announcement, including the new interp rules.

TimDavidSkate
11-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm so excited, I already sent in my program info and emailed my picture :halo:

flying~camel
11-21-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm so excited, I already sent in my program info and emailed my picture :halo:

And it was received ;)

techskater
11-21-2008, 05:06 PM
non-qualifying events were also in the announcement, including the new interp rules.

It was just all the rules for ANs in the announcement, it's not the actual non-qual announcement (at least for Mids, it isn't)

flo
11-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Hmmm. I as just looking for the rules. Perhaps contact the LOC.

I'll be at AN in interpretive and Gold pairs if we do pairs.

Stormy
11-22-2008, 08:01 AM
It was just all the rules for ANs in the announcement, it's not the actual non-qual announcement (at least for Mids, it isn't)

Yeah, I was asking about the open events when I said non-qual, I guess I should have been more specific. Easterns is running another comp in conjunction with Easterns qualifying events so that's what I was looking for.

Mel On Ice
11-22-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm anxious to see what else they are offering at Mids, including interp pairs.

RachelSk8er
11-24-2008, 09:27 AM
When do y'all think you'll have a tentative schedule (even just what events will be what days)?

Mel On Ice
11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
that would be a question for the chief referee. In the past, I know the schedule has been as early as a month prior and as late as two weeks prior.

With the vast amount of competitive options available to the skater - open freestyle, dance, solo dance, championship freestyle, pairs - the refs have the task of jigsaw-puzzling the events together without conflict or exhausting a skater by having events back-to-back-to-back-to-back. For some, like those who qualify in champ gold/masters free as well as champ pairs (ex: Jason, Chris, Tara :bow:) that kind of scheduling may be unavoidable, but for the rest, *public relations voice* we ask for your patience and understanding.

skaternum
11-25-2008, 06:45 AM
Since Eastern Sectionals is in my backyard, I plan to do pretty much the same events that I did at Peach (Interp, Silver Jumps, Silver Compulsories). I may have to drop compulsories, though. For some reason, all my spins left me completely right after Peach, when I had to take a break from the ice and focus on my knee PT again, and I can't seem to get them back. I don't mean they've gotten crappy; I mean they're gone, even my beloved sit spin. :cry: There's really no point in doing an event with 2 spins if I'm going to fall out of both of them -- or worse.

But that'll just give me more time to volunteer. :P

TimDavidSkate
11-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Question :halo:
So there wont be any practices being held at the competition rink - except the official one ?

If thats the case, I think I'll just be coming in late afternoon - after skating that morning. I dont have a car or the license to drive to the practice rink :frus:

flying~camel
11-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Question :halo:
So there wont be any practices being held at the competition rink - except the official one ?

If thats the case, I think I'll just be coming in late afternoon - after skating that morning. I dont have a car or the license to drive to the practice rink :frus:

Are you talking about ANs or Easterns?

TimDavidSkate
11-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Are you talking about ANs or Easterns?

AN - I'm not skating at Easterns this year :cry:

flying~camel
11-25-2008, 11:32 AM
AN - I'm not skating at Easterns this year :cry:

In that case, yes, we will have practice ice at the competition arena on Monday & Tuesday. Possibly also on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday depending on how the competition scheduling goes.

TimDavidSkate
11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
In that case, yes, we will have practice ice at the competition arena on Monday & Tuesday. Possibly also on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday depending on how the competition scheduling goes.

Wonderful :D Thanks FC

NoVa Sk8r
11-25-2008, 03:44 PM
AN - I'm not skating at Easterns this year :cry:I was hoping for another 3-way tie!!!

TimDavidSkate
11-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I was hoping for another 3-way tie!!!

LOL :lol:

Terri C
11-30-2008, 09:40 AM
So, who's registered yet??
I'm planning on doing mine on Christmas Day. Passing my Bronze free after all the years of struggling with the sit and several retries of this test made this the single biggest accomplishment of 2008 for me overall.

flo
11-30-2008, 12:41 PM
Major congratulations your way again. Is your program celebratory?
You could do a great interp with that - end with "Looks like we made it"!

mskater
12-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I was asking about the open events when I said non-qual, I guess I should have been more specific. Easterns is running another comp in conjunction with Easterns qualifying events so that's what I was looking for.

Awesome - does this mean you are coming to Eastern's? You are welcome to stay at my crib:]

Stormy
12-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Awesome - does this mean you are coming to Eastern's? You are welcome to stay at my crib:]

Oh, yes, I'll be there. Champ Gold, open Gold I, and some other fluffy fun event. And thank you for the offer, I will very likely take you up on that!!! It'll be like old times. :bow:

NoVa Sk8r
12-04-2008, 07:02 PM
The Easterns announcement posted is only qualifying events. Anyone know when the non-qual announcement will be revealed? It's not on the LOC website either.It's now posted:
http://www.centralcarolinasc.com/AES2009.aspx

mdvask8r
12-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Thanks Nova.
Gak! Sticker shock!! 8O
I know, I know. They have many expenses to cover . . . but it does cause one to give pretty serious thought before entering multiple events.

MusicSkateFan
12-05-2008, 06:43 AM
$$$$$ Been thinking about that too. I think this year I might do Easterns(AKA Eastons) and skip Nats. Two events for non qual at Easterns plus gas hotel, etc. That will be plenty of coin! It also guarantees I will compete on the weekend.. I had a great time at Nats last year but competing Wed Night and then being finished sort of sucked.

I will probably wait to make a decision until the deadline.

Stormy
12-05-2008, 06:59 AM
This was asked in the Mids forum, so I wanted to see if the same was applicable to Easterns. If you're entering a Championship event, does the open event count as a 2nd event, since one is qualifying and one is non qualifying? I know as well the LOC has a lot to pay for but those entry fees are steep for non-qual. 8O

sexyskates
12-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Has anyone seen the Non-qualifying announcement for Pacifics in Vegas?

Thin-Ice
12-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Has anyone seen the Non-qualifying announcement for Pacifics in Vegas?

Try http://2009pcas.homestead.com and click on "Announcements".

NoVa Sk8r
12-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Thanks Nova.
Gak! Sticker shock!! 8O
I know, I know. They have many expenses to cover . . . but it does cause one to give pretty serious thought before entering multiple events.It's a bargain compared to Pacifics. 8O

Terri C
12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Okay there's something I don't get here.
There is a wide difference in entry fees for Non Qual Adult Sectionals across the board. Easterns charges the standard $90 for first event, $60 for second, but Pacs is charging $125 for the first event, while Mids is $65 for first event. What's going on?

Debbie S
12-05-2008, 11:28 AM
The non-qual events are entirely run by the LOC, just like a club comp, so they can basically set whatever fees they want. I suspect the price differences are directly related to the cost of ice at the host rinks.

flying~camel
12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Last year, Mids in Ann Arbor was $95 for the 1st NQ event.

Terri C
12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
As a first time AN competitor, I have several.
For "Music Registration" since I have two pieces of music in my freestyle program, I'm under the impression that I have to list both pieces and the length of time each piece is in the program. Am I right here?

For the part of the registration process that has a skater list coaches for each event, how do you go about it if your coaches won't be there? Skip the section? Put your coaches down so they get credit for getting you to AN??
What does one do if one moment, you think your coaches won't be there, but they turn out attending?

Any more online registration tips and advice are helpful and much appreciated. TIA!

Clarice
12-15-2008, 07:24 PM
As a first time AN competitor, I have several.
For "Music Registration" since I have two pieces of music in my freestyle program, I'm under the impression that I have to list both pieces and the length of time each piece is in the program. Am I right here?

For the part of the registration process that has a skater list coaches for each event, how do you go about it if your coaches won't be there? Skip the section? Put your coaches down so they get credit for getting you to AN??
What does one do if one moment, you think your coaches won't be there, but they turn out attending?

Any more online registration tips and advice are helpful and much appreciated. TIA!

I have two pieces in my artistic program, actually in 3 sections, since the first piece comes back again. I actually listed three pieces - the 1st one for x seconds, the 2nd one for x seconds, and then the 1st one again for the remainder.

I listed my coaches even though I doubt they'll be there. It's so they'll be credentialed if they do come. It doesn't hurt anything if you list them and they don't come.

The only trouble I had was that I'm entering solo dance and the program charged me the fee for a dance team instead of the fee for an additional singles event. I brought it to the attention of US Figure Skating, and I think they have the problem corrected now.

Bernzie
12-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Teri, I'm new to the boards and would like to join in conversation!

What I would do is to include my coach's name on the application. With the application due and not knowing for sure if my coach will be able to go, it is better to have my coach listed. If my coach is able to go, coach's credential is all set up ahead of time. If you don't want to, it's phone calls later to get coach credentialed.

Hope that helps.

jskater49
12-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Okay there's something I don't get here.
There is a wide difference in entry fees for Non Qual Adult Sectionals across the board. Easterns charges the standard $90 for first event, $60 for second, but Pacs is charging $125 for the first event, while Mids is $65 for first event. What's going on?

I imagine ice fees make the difference. From what I've heard, ice is a little chaper in the midwest.

j

skaternum
12-16-2008, 06:35 AM
Put your coaches down so they get credit for getting you to AN??
:lol: "Getting you to AN??" All you had to do was fill out a form and pay your money. :)

Mrs Redboots
12-16-2008, 07:21 AM
:lol: "Getting you to AN??" All you had to do was fill out a form and pay your money. :)
Be fair, Skaternum - TerriC struggled very hard to get her Bronze Moves and Free so that she qualified to go!

Debbie S
12-16-2008, 08:46 AM
Be fair, Skaternum - TerriC struggled very hard to get her Bronze Moves and Free so that she qualified to go!Here, here.

Someone sure is feeling snarky this morning......:roll:

Stormy
12-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Here, here.

Someone sure is feeling snarky this morning......:roll:

Just this morning? ;)

skaternum
12-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh, come on. This wasn't a slam on Terri, who knows I love her. Did you miss the smilie faces?? Jeez.

But seriously, since you're getting all snippy (thanks for the unprovoked personal snark, Stormy :roll:) ... Adult Nats for most of us is an Open event and our coaches don't get any boost to their ego, status, resume, or pay for coaching a Bronze or Silver lady. Everyone has to "qualify" by taking tests. It's a wonderful, fabulous competition, but it's still just an Open when you get down to it.

jazzpants
12-16-2008, 01:17 PM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/sportlich/a010.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/popcorn.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/popcorn.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/popcorn.gif :halo: :halo: :halo: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Alright! I'm not being snarky here. I just being silly here and think this whole "snark" thing is funny. Yes, I have a strange sense of humor... :twisted: )

Terri, your choice! I probably would put in both coaches, even though they won't be there, "just because..." :)

Stormy
12-16-2008, 01:58 PM
http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/sportlich/a010.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/popcorn.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/popcorn.gif http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/popcorn.gif :halo: :halo: :halo: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Alright! I'm not being snarky here. I just being silly here and think this whole "snark" thing is funny. Yes, I have a strange sense of humor... :twisted: )

Terri, your choice! I probably would put in both coaches, even though they won't be there, "just because..." :)

I'm sure we're all guilty of being snarky at some point or another! :)

jazzpants
12-16-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm sure we're all guilty of being snarky at some point or another! :)
Not debating that at all... and sometimes the snark is deserved even!!! :twisted: :lol:

I think a lot of people are taking this whole AN experience WAAAAY too seriously!!! Yes, it's a REAL accomplishment and we all should be PROUD of our skating accomplishments!!! That said, let's just say I don't see myself giving up my day job as a software engineer for skating anytime soon. :lol: (Oh, wait!!! That's should be :cry: for me!!! :twisted: )

flo
12-16-2008, 06:25 PM
It's an accomplishment to get there - open or not. For those events with initial and final rounds I've always felt that you qualify once you get there. Qualifying or not, you test, you prepare, you skate. It's like an entry into a jump - what you put into the entrance you get out of the jump, or as one coach use to say, junk in = junk out, or quality in = quality out.

Terri C
12-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Hey after dealing with my head when it comes to the Bronze free test, my primary coach of almost ten years (this February!) deserves some credit!!

That being said, I will most likely put both coaches down on the online form. Primary coach likes getting, as her daughter calls them, "the leashes." What a way to score free souveniers for both coaches!

Thin-Ice
12-17-2008, 01:56 AM
It's an accomplishment to get there - open or not. For those events with initial and final rounds I've always felt that you qualify once you get there. Qualifying or not, you test, you prepare, you skate. It's like an entry into a jump - what you put into the entrance you get out of the jump, or as one coach use to say, junk in = junk out, or quality in = quality out.

Beautifully stated, Flo!

And there are some days when just the thought of not being well-prepared to skate at AN and skating in front of the friends I see only once a year, and not skating as well as I might have if I had prepared better, is ALL that gets me to the rink! So while it may be "just an open", to me it's also an incentive to practice on the "even before I get to the rink, I think this is going to be a waste of time and money" days. So for some of us just getting there IS an accomplishment... and at least in my case, my coach deserves a lot of credit for that.

Mel On Ice
12-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I have never considered ANs to be "just" another open competition. It's really represented something so much bigger to me, and I can't believe how much richer my life has been since I started competing at this event.It's given me goals, friends, and the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than me and the chance to give back in ways I couldn't have imagined 10 years ago in learn to skate class, on the same ice many of you will be skating on this April.

Stormy
12-17-2008, 06:00 PM
I have never considered ANs to be "just" another open competition. It's really represented something so much bigger to me, and I can't believe how much richer my life has been since I started competing at this event.It's given me goals, friends, and the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than me and the chance to give back in ways I couldn't have imagined 10 years ago in learn to skate class, on the same ice many of you will be skating on this April.

Mel, you put it into the best words! I feel exactly the same. ANs is the competition many of us work our asses off for all year, it's the time to see friends and have a blast. Not to mention the enormous amount of work the LOC puts into it, and yes, I have been on an ANs LOC! It's NOT just another open, it's one of the biggest competitions USFS holds. So to hear it described as "just an open" belittles everything we work hard for all year and what the LOC does in preparation.

skaternum
12-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Even though there was an earlier discussion about how much the entry fees are for sectionals this year, I just got around to looking at the application for Easterns. (Wasn't sure if the knee would allow me to enter, so I waited until the last minute.) 8O $60 for a second event?? $60 just to do 3 jumps in a jumps only event?? No way! And I don't even have to pay travel expenses, since it's in my backyard. I'm stunned.

jazzpants
12-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Well, I'M BUMMED that I can't go to Sectionals this year (in VEGAS!!!) b/c I won't have enough vacation days and I'm saving the $ for AN. But I keep telling myself that it was just not in the cards this time for me not to go. Besides, I need the break to concentrate on continue working the impossible task of working my basic skating and starting on Silver Moves and just to give the pocketbook a break. (The coach's cost is $$$ :evil: )

Stormy
12-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Just registered for Easterns Non-Qual, I love that they let you use PayPal and since I had some money just sitting in there I used some of it pay for Easterns. I am totally in agreement about the sticker shock, so I just am doing open Gold I and nothing else for Non Qual. Still need to register for Championship Gold for Easterns, open Gold and Interp at Nationals and NYI. Dontcha just LOVE how all these expensive comp registrations are due right after Christmas?? :giveup:

Terri C
12-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I just thought of my registration fees for Easterns NQ and AN as my Christmas present to me!!

looplover
12-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Excellent present! I just registered for Easterns NQ this morning myself (thank God I ran into the organizers this a.m. or I might have forgotten about the deadline).

Pretty sure I'm not doing AN because I don't feel ready flip-wise and I don't have a lutz...I wish the deadline for that were later! I feel like I may have these by the end of February but am not sure. I'd hate to try and come up with the money for travel, fees, etc. if my skating isn't where it should be, grr. I know I'll regret not going when the time comes...:twisted:

Hannahclear
12-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Whee! Just entered! The USFSA should really invest in their web registration interface. I found it to be clunky and not easy to use at all. But at least I'm all set.

Flights to Grand Rapids from Boston don't look too bad. A bit over $300 for a round trip ticket. I suppose I have to check my skates. I might try calling ahead and requesting permission to bring them on.

RachelSk8er
12-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Whee! Just entered! The USFSA should really invest in their web registration interface. I found it to be clunky and not easy to use at all. But at least I'm all set.

Flights to Grand Rapids from Boston don't look too bad. A bit over $300 for a round trip ticket. I suppose I have to check my skates. I might try calling ahead and requesting permission to bring them on.

You shouldn't have to check skates any more. I flew 3x last year with skates (Cleveland-Nashville & back, Cleveland-Providence RI and Cleveland-Boston) and had no issues with skates. They looked at me like I was strange for even bothering to ask if skates were ok....and then they confiscated my half-empty toothpaste b/c the label said 3.6 oz.

vailcolorado
12-31-2008, 01:54 PM
Amen to that!

Let the games begin!
http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09/forms/

Stormy
12-31-2008, 05:02 PM
The only time I have EVER EVER EVER checked my skates is when I did synchro and the team made us check skates. And someone's pair got lost on the way to.....wait for it......Grand Rapids. She had to borrow a pair from someone else.

I've never had a problem carrying on skates in Boston, Atlanta, Providence, Newark, Dallas, Midway and a bunch of other airports. I wouldn't risk checking them. Hannahclear, you will have no problem at all carrying them on at Logan. 95% of the time they don't even ask to look at them as they go through the scanner.

Hannahclear
12-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Good to know. I won't check them unless I have to. I didn't realize that you could bring them on.

Stormy
01-01-2009, 03:59 PM
OH CRAP!! Huge problem, trying not to panic. Since of course I waited till the last second to register for Champ Gold at Easterns, I logged into Members only to do it right now. And it's not showing up as a competition I can enter, just Nationals! I think it's because I haven't passed Gold Free, it thinks I'm not eligible. BUT I have passed Juvenile, which does qualify me for Gold. Of course USFS isn't open today for me to call, I hope they're open tomorrow so I can get this fixed! Otherwise I don't know what to do. There's no paper entries, right? 8O8O

Debbie S
01-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Even if USFSA's not open tomorrow, don't panic. You're obviously eligible; their system is just messed up (it's already been noted on here that things are a little screwy with respect to adult eligibility - like testing Int after Gold). If you can't get anyone tomorrow, contact them next week and explain the problem, and they should let you register - after all, it's their problem, not yours.

NoVa Sk8r
01-01-2009, 06:01 PM
OH CRAP!! Huge problem, trying not to panic. Since of course I waited till the last second to register for Champ Gold at Easterns, I logged into Members only to do it right now. And it's not showing up as a competition I can enter, just Nationals! I think it's because I haven't passed Gold Free, it thinks I'm not eligible. BUT I have passed Juvenile, which does qualify me for Gold. Of course USFS isn't open today for me to call, I hope they're open tomorrow so I can get this fixed! Otherwise I don't know what to do. There's no paper entries, right? 8O8OMy gold free test has not shown up on USFSA Online, yet I was still able to sign up. When I was registering for pairs, I noticed that there were a few glitches. After a few tries, the system was working properly. So I'd say try again tomorrow. If it doesn't work, you'll need to send an urgent message to USFSA (or maybe contact Kevin Leonardo) because the Jan. 2 deadline is firm.

Stormy
01-01-2009, 06:41 PM
I know, that's what is worrying me so much is I know the deadline is firm. Even if it's not my mistake, I know they won't make an exception for me if I can't resolve this tomorrow. My friend Julie might be in the same boat since she has the same tests I do, Juvenile but not Gold. I sent Lexi Rohner a message asking if she knew if USFS was open tomorrow and explained my dilemma, so she'd at least be aware of the situation. I'm e-mailing member services and Kevin Leonardo now, thanks for that suggestion NoVa. Granted, I shouldn't have waited till today, I know. It just never occured to me that the system wouldn't reflect rules that have been in effect for a while now.

flo
01-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Mine isn't showing up either. I have juvenile pairs and compete gold. What do they do for partners who are below gold?

sk8er1964
01-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Email everyone you can (including HQ) and document things. It should help.

There's been a lot of problems for people registering, I think. I was able to register for A Mids, then was locked out for AN until I contacted HQ. I think the problems are on their end.

vesperholly
01-02-2009, 12:07 AM
OMG, you guys just gave me a heart attack! I'm not doing Sectionals but I thought maybe I'd gotten the ANs deadline wrong. Phew!

Registering now ... what on earth do I put for the music for solo dance?

Thin-Ice
01-02-2009, 03:48 AM
OMG, you guys just gave me a heart attack! I'm not doing Sectionals but I thought maybe I'd gotten the ANs deadline wrong. Phew!

Registering now ... what on earth do I put for the music for solo dance?

Just put in the word "None" or "Provided by USFS" and then for the time under minutes put "1" and under seconds put "00". The system should accept that.

Good luck to everyone (both skating and with registering).:)

Stormy
01-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Well, now I get some weird error loop when I tried to log-in to members only in IE. I logged in, click on event reg, and it brought me right back to the page when you enter your number and password. :frus: I tried it again in Firefox and it let me log in fine, but Easterns still isn't showing up. Great. I got an Out of Office message when I e-mailed Kevin Leonardo and it just said see you in 2009. I'm so hoping USFS is open today.

w.w.west
01-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Well, now I get some weird error loop when I tried to log-in to members only in IE. I logged in, click on event reg, and it brought me right back to the page when you enter your number and password. :frus: I tried it again in Firefox and it let me log in fine, but Easterns still isn't showing up. Great. I got an Out of Office message when I e-mailed Kevin Leonardo and it just said see you in 2009. I'm so hoping USFS is open today.

Good Morning,

Yes...apparently there are sometype of technical errors going on at HQ. Perfect timing right?? :frus: I've gotten concerning emails from skaters regarding registering for Mids also. You've done the right things...emailing Kevin and Lexi. If anyone else is having problems, please do the same. Even if the out of office reply comes up, you will have that as evidence of trying to resolve it before the deadline. However, positing on a message board and doing nothing else is not evidence enough.

All I can say is hang in there! PM me if anyone wishes to do so.

RachelSk8er
01-02-2009, 08:03 AM
Crapola...

I haven't registered for ANs yet but I hope I don't run into issues. With apps for 2 competitions due today (and holiday credit card bills and buying law books for next semester), I was holding off until the last minute (Jan 14 or 15) to register so it comes out of my next paycheck...don't really want to stick it on a credit card versus my check card but I guess I could do that and pay it off come payday. Thank god my tax return will cover all my competition travel/hotel for the season!

I'm silver I free and silver solo dance, also just decided last night while iPod surfing that I'll be doing masters A/D interp (found a piece of music I've always loved, always wanted to skate to, and it goes with my synchro dress for last year, which is my fav dress....lack of costume $$ or time to make one was what was leaving me up in the air w/my other ideas).

Stormy
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
ETA: My friend sent me a message on Facebook that she talked to USFS, and I'd left a message in member services as well. They told her that Easterns had been dropped off the website and that it was going back up shortly. I checked, it was there and I'm now registered! I was really sweating there for a while! And it wasn't even the reasons I thought it was. Having Easterns drop off the site the day before the deadline isn't good.

daisies
01-02-2009, 04:33 PM
You shouldn't have to check skates any more. I flew 3x last year with skates (Cleveland-Nashville & back, Cleveland-Providence RI and Cleveland-Boston) and had no issues with skates. They looked at me like I was strange for even bothering to ask if skates were ok....and then they confiscated my half-empty toothpaste b/c the label said 3.6 oz.

It just depends on what airport you're flying out of. In Los Angeles, they are still prohibited, even though other airports allow them. I always ask why, and I am always told LAX is a higher-security airport than others. And even then, it depends which security gate you go through, because some are OK with it and some aren't! I always ask ahead of time, but I'm prepared to shift my skates to my checked baggage before I check in if I have to.

Stormy
01-02-2009, 05:18 PM
It just depends on what airport you're flying out of. In Los Angeles, they are still prohibited, even though other airports allow them. I always ask why, and I am always told LAX is a higher-security airport than others. And even then, it depends which security gate you go through, because some are OK with it and some aren't! I always ask ahead of time, but I'm prepared to shift my skates to my checked baggage before I check in if I have to.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Ice skates are not prohibited items anymore. That's kinda stinky that LAX does not allow them. I mean, if I can get them through Boston and JFK just fine, LAX shouldn't have a problem.

flo
01-02-2009, 06:14 PM
It will be interesting to see if this changes with the inauguration. Those of you traveling to sectionals may want to check again as it's the same weekend. I was traveling over one of them into BWI and was pulled over for searching as I had booked right before travel, was alone, paid cash and did not check any bags (I was carrying my skates).

daisies
01-02-2009, 08:13 PM
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Ice skates are not prohibited items anymore. That's kinda stinky that LAX does not allow them. I mean, if I can get them through Boston and JFK just fine, LAX shouldn't have a problem.

I know they are not on the list. They know they are not on the list. But even after they were not on the list, I was told no twice ... on my way to AN last year and on my way to O'dorf. doubletoe has had better luck than me, though.... on her way to AN, she came armed with reams of paper showing what was allowed and what wasn't, and even showed the picture of the ice skates among the other allowed items!

(For my trip to O'dorf, I even contacted the TSA manager of all of LAX, who forwarded my query to the international terminal's TSA supervisor. When I arrived for my flight, I asked for that supervisor and explained I was the one who e-mailed. She said, "Oh, we had an argument about you!" Uh, OK. Turns out that there was a big debate among the TSA folk about whether or not the skates should be allowed, and ultimately the nays won over the yeas. But at least it's nice to know that almost half of them thought it would be OK! Bodes well for this year!)

daisies
01-02-2009, 08:14 PM
It will be interesting to see if this changes with the inauguration. Those of you traveling to sectionals may want to check again as it's the same weekend. I was traveling over one of them into BWI and was pulled over for searching as I had booked right before travel, was alone, paid cash and did not check any bags (I was carrying my skates).

Wait ... the inauguration is in January; sectionals are in February. What am I missing?

flo
01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Doh! Sectionals are a month later. It's getting nuts here already!

coskater64
01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
That's what I thought, since when did Jan 20th become Feb 20th ????HUH!:twisted:

jazzpants
01-03-2009, 04:35 PM
And I thought I was gonna have to ping ISK8NYC to move parts of this thread to "Non Skating Discussions - Politics/News" too! WHEW!!! :bow: :P :lol:

doubletoe
01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I know they are not on the list. They know they are not on the list. But even after they were not on the list, I was told no twice ... on my way to AN last year and on my way to O'dorf. doubletoe has had better luck than me, though.... on her way to AN, she came armed with reams of paper showing what was allowed and what wasn't, and even showed the picture of the ice skates among the other allowed items!

(For my trip to O'dorf, I even contacted the TSA manager of all of LAX, who forwarded my query to the international terminal's TSA supervisor. When I arrived for my flight, I asked for that supervisor and explained I was the one who e-mailed. She said, "Oh, we had an argument about you!" Uh, OK. Turns out that there was a big debate among the TSA folk about whether or not the skates should be allowed, and ultimately the nays won over the yeas. But at least it's nice to know that almost half of them thought it would be OK! Bodes well for this year!)

Yes, in spite of the fact that ice skates are no longer officially prohibited, Daisies and I were told that it is ultimately up to the discretion of the TSA manager on duty to make the final call. After seeing all of my documentation and commenting, "You sure did your homework", the guy still had to take my skates out and feel the blade and think about it for a minute. I probably wouldn't have gotten past him if I hadn't used the Jedi mind trick ("These aren't the skates you're looking for. . ."). :halo:

flo
01-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Anyone having problems with the on-line planned program content sheet? I keep getting errors and can not continue. I've mailed USFSA. Grrrrrrr.

starskate6.0
01-08-2009, 09:17 PM
Not going not competing this year in Gold mens. :giveup: Im afraid its beyond my means ( cut backs at work ). Im still on the ice to stay fit but no lessons or serious training. I wish you all the very best and maybe Ill be back next year. any ideas where nationals might be 2010.?

:o

coskater64
01-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Adult Nationals are in Minneapolis next year.:halo:

NoVa Sk8r
01-08-2009, 09:49 PM
any ideas where nationals might be 2010.?(Reply is in other thread):
http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?p=382378#post382378

rlichtefeld
01-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Anyone having problems with the on-line planned program content sheet? I keep getting errors and can not continue. I've mailed USFSA. Grrrrrrr.

flo,

Unless you are competing at Gold or above you shouldn't need to complete a PPC form.

Rob

flo
01-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks Rob - We will be competing at gold. They straightened out the problem.

RachelSk8er
01-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Yay I'm all registered:

Silver I free
Silver solo dance
Masters A/D interp

$290 ouch. At least this $290 will lead to more fun than the $350 I just spent on this semester's books for law school....

flying~camel
01-14-2009, 07:25 AM
I decided not to compete this year, but of course I'll still be there since I'm on the LOC! :lol:

Terri C
01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Am bumping this up, as today is Deadline Day!!!

phoenix
01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Ugh, just registered. They don't make it easy, do they? I especially enjoyed putting in 'none' on everyline of the music page, since I'm doing solo dance & won't need music, but it wouldn't let me past that page unless I put something in.

Also, if they're going to charge us $130 for the event, they should just say that up front, not sneak it in at the very end when it tacks on a "$10 Admin Fee" to your payment. How rude. That's a freaking lot of money for less than 2 minutes on the ice.

:frus:

jskater49
01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Ugh, just registered. They don't make it easy, do they? I especially enjoyed putting in 'none' on everyline of the music page, since I'm doing solo dance & won't need music, but it wouldn't let me past that page unless I put something in.

Also, if they're going to charge us $130 for the event, they should just say that up front, not sneak it in at the very end when it tacks on a "$10 Admin Fee" to your payment. How rude. That's a freaking lot of money for less than 2 minutes on the ice.

:frus:

I agree..why not just charge "140.00" and forget the administrative fee. I know test always have that extra charge and I think we should just up the fee and leave it at that.

j

NoVa Sk8r
01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
It's not per event because some folks do more than one event. It's $10 to process the whole thing (the "entry") regardless of how many events you do. As a more-than-one-event competitor, I like that better!

I really don't think it is sneaky, as USFSA wrote about this on its website and in Skating magazine. (But if you're new to competing, then I guess it is new.)

sk8er1964
01-15-2009, 10:02 PM
So, I signed up for solo dance -- why? So I can obsess about a 3-turn? A stupid 3-turn? Oh, and if that isn't enough, there's that blasted mohawk. :twisted:

Clarice
01-16-2009, 06:47 AM
So, I signed up for solo dance -- why? So I can obsess about a 3-turn? A stupid 3-turn? Oh, and if that isn't enough, there's that blasted mohawk. :twisted:

Yeah. Join the club. I thought I knew how to do three turns and mohawks until my dance coach got ahold of me. I'm doing Bronze solo dance, but I'm only just barely qualified for it - that is, I've only passed one Pre-Bronze dance (and it wasn't the Fiesta). I'm actually kind of looking forward to it, but I'm sure that's going to turn into "what was I thinking?" as ANs gets closer.

w.w.west
01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Yeah. Join the club. I thought I knew how to do three turns and mohawks until my dance coach got ahold of me. I'm doing Bronze solo dance, but I'm only just barely qualified for it - that is, I've only passed one Pre-Bronze dance (and it wasn't the Fiesta). I'm actually kind of looking forward to it, but I'm sure that's going to turn into "what was I thinking?" as ANs gets closer.

I'm a member of that club too! I always thought I knew how to skate, but turns out I really don't! I barely qualify too. I passed the Cha-Cha and not the Fiesta.

jazzpants
01-16-2009, 09:07 AM
So, I signed up for solo dance -- why? So I can obsess about a 3-turn? A stupid 3-turn? Oh, and if that isn't enough, there's that blasted mohawk. :twisted:NOW you know how I feel this year!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (I spent all summer up to now working on just "basics skating." I got a LOOOONG way to go!!! And no, my mohawks and 3turns aren't even good enough for FS, let alone dance. :frus:)

RachelSk8er
01-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm a member of that club too! I always thought I knew how to skate, but turns out I really don't! I barely qualify too. I passed the Cha-Cha and not the Fiesta.

At least they caught you early. I didn't start working with a dance coach who really started hammering me on technique until I was on my silvers (at which point I had learned and been casually skating through gold for quite a while). It took me a year and a half to get through them because I had to go back and re-learn everything his (or the "proper") way. It was very, very, very frustrating, but I'm finding the pre-golds I'm on now and higher dances I skate through for fun even easier than they used to be, so all the torture must have been worth it. I just wish my old coach had caught bad habits I had probably picked up from synchro from the start and corrected them when I started dance.