View Full Version : Help with my artistic program

xofivebyfive
11-18-2008, 01:03 PM
what can I do to make this program better? I've tried using my arms a lot to make pretty movements but there's only so much I can do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-SMXcF8Oo

we haven't worked out what happens after the layback so I totally just made that up.

stacyf419
11-18-2008, 05:17 PM
You've got such pretty extension on your spirals, and I'm envious of your nice high loop! Great job.

phoenix
11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
Look up Look up Look up Look up Look up Look up Look up Look up !!!

Also, you can work on getting full extensions, finish each position & hit each pose/position very strongly. Everything is a little soft, looks a little tentative, as far as the movement goes. Need more energy in your body & in your extensions.

The program is nice & definitely has potential to grow into something very pretty!

dbny
11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
I like the improv after your layback! I would say that you could stretch through your arms more - all the way to your fingers. Any arm movements should end at the finger tips. Also, you seem to be looking down a bit, so try to keep the gaze up (we all have that problem at times!) A trick for graceful hands that I learned at a seminar is to hold touch your middle finger to your thumb, and then gently release.

xofivebyfive
11-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks guys, I haven't worked on it with my coach at all yet, she taught it to me in one lesson and then we haven't worked on it since. It's still a little shaky because it's not solidified in my head yet and I still have to think about what I'm doing next and don't have muscle memory yet, but I'll try what you have said.

FlyAndCrash
11-18-2008, 06:27 PM
I love the layout. Perhaps a little more power and conviction could make the pattern a little bit bigger and fill it out more to fit the size of the rink. Also, make sure to EXAGGERATE all the movements - if not, they can be lost of look like bobbles...

Also, I see that you are skating at ISI FS4. Are camels, camel-sits, and laybacks allowed at that level in artistic? I know that they are part of FS5 and FS6 test levels. Do the restrictions apply only to the technical, or all the events at a certain level?

In the next few months, this program will look so much more polished. As you work more on it, everything will improve by so much and become much more fluid! Good luck! :D

xofivebyfive
11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
I love the layout. Perhaps a little more power and conviction could make the pattern a little bit bigger and fill it out more to fit the size of the rink. Also, make sure to EXAGGERATE all the movements - if not, they can be lost of look like bobbles...

Also, I see that you are skating at ISI FS4. Are camels, camel-sits, and laybacks allowed at that level in artistic? I know that they are part of FS5 and FS6 test levels. Do the restrictions apply only to the technical, or all the events at a certain level?

In the next few months, this program will look so much more polished. As you work more on it, everything will improve by so much and become much more fluid! Good luck! :D
I'm pretty sure the restrictions don't apply for artistic programs. Or that's what my coach said. I'll ask her next time I see her.

thanks!

doubletoe
11-18-2008, 06:53 PM
As you continue to practice this program, focus on covering as much distance as you can with each stroke. To do that, you'll need to bend your knees deeply just before pushing off on each stroke, then extend fully as you push off. That will create power as well as speed, flow and ice coverage. You'll see a huge difference in just a month! :D

vesperholly
11-18-2008, 09:13 PM
It seems like you've got a lot of technical content for an artistic program. I felt like you were concentrating on getting the jumps and spins done, to the detriment of the choreography and expression. The improvisation after the layback was the best bit!

techskater
11-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I would suggest working on it WITHOUT elements as if there were no elements in it and just be FREE while skating it.

flo
11-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Hi,
Nice progam, now you have to make it your own. When you do your nice arm movements over your head, make sure that they are extended over your head and away from your face. Also look beyond your reach! The audience follows your eyes, and by doing this your elements will be greatly improved. Pretend that you have extensions on your fingers, and point to the very tips of them.
Above all, take your time an enjoy each movement.

celticprincess
11-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I agree that it's a lovely programme and has alot of potiental. What I noticed most is that some your artistic movements and arms seem alittle rushed. Really take the time to feel the music and finish every element whether it's a spin or simply raising an arm. Also try to skate 'with' the music..meaning all of the choreography and even overall emotion has to reflect the music. Its a beautiful song choice. Just try and listen to the words and have the programme reflect that. For example right before the first loop when you do the arm circle, really exaggerate the arms, get them WAY over your head as far as you could reach them and also raise your head towards the ceiling and follow them with your eyes.

Also try not to look down, tell the story through your eyes and facial expresses. Now Im not saying a Disney smile, but try something simple like following your arm with your eyes when you do a one arm circle. You can also try to use someone like your coach and try to connect as much as possible with them however you cannot change the choreography. So basicly you have to portray a specific emotion by using your face, your body, the way you do certain elements. In saying all this, you really do have alot of potiental and there are alot of nice elements in there. Just work on your connection with the music, follow through with all the movements and look up.

Skittl1321
11-20-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure the restrictions don't apply for artistic programs. Or that's what my coach said. I'll ask her next time I see her.

thanks!

Read the competition announcement closely- some will have FS1-4 restricted to that set of elements and then FS5+ unrestricted in artistic and interpretive.

But remember, the artistic program isn't about technical elements. I wouldn't jam so much in there that you forget about the flow and connections.

xofivebyfive
11-20-2008, 06:07 PM
thank you guys this really helps a lot! I will really work hard to make it the best it can be!