View Full Version : Figure skate blades...

isakswings
11-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi all. I need a lesson in figure blades, please! For starters, I am wondering if we should have gone with a different blade when we bought dd's skates back in July. Her blade is a Wilson Jubilee blade. Her old skates had an MK 21 blade on them. Anyway, a lot of the kids at her rink have the MK Professional blade on their skates. From what I understand, that blade has a cross cut toe pick. Help me figure out what this means and how it can help with jumps and other moves. Also, what is a K-pick toe pick and again, what can it do that other toe picks can't?

Dd is obviously still fairly new in this sport but is working on her single jumps and pretty much has up to a loop jump. She'll be working on the Lutz and Flip soon enough. Should I have gotten her a better blade then I did or will she be fine in her Jubilee blade until she outgrows these skates. She's had her skates for 3.5 months and I am hoping they last her at least another 6 months.

When I ordered her skates, her coach was going out of town. At the time, her coach told me to get something with a good toe pick on it. When I had dd fitted for her skates, the skating director fit her. I told him what dd's coach said. He said to go with the Jubilee blade. Now I am kicking myself thinking we should have upgraded her blade more. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

kelisk8s
11-17-2008, 10:37 AM
The jubilee blade is okay for someone going up the ranks. You can always change the blade on her boots in a worse case scenario. That way you don't have to buy a boot and blade combo. It sounds like she isn't on an axel yet. Usually right before they start with axels I suggest moving on to something a bit more tangible. If the student is advancing quickly I suggest getting the gold seals. I'm a bit of a blade snob because I love my gold seal blades and wouldn't skate with anything else ever again! (When I got the blades everything from my jumps and spins to footwork improved 100%) If not the Pattern 99 or Coronation Aces are a good choice. These are all John Wilson blades. As far as MK professionals I had those before my gold seals. They were a decent blade. And when I got those I came from a blade without much of a toe pick so I think I remember landing on my face a few times :) But they got me through to my first double toe before I switched to the gold seals. What I would do is ask your coach. You can also go to www.skatesforless.net to see an illustration of each toe pick in reference to the blade. Hope this helps!
-K
www.cutiepet2tie.com - skatewear!

isakswings
11-17-2008, 10:52 AM
The jubilee blade is okay for someone going up the ranks. You can always change the blade on her boots in a worse case scenario. That way you don't have to buy a boot and blade combo. It sounds like she isn't on an axel yet. Usually right before they start with axels I suggest moving on to something a bit more tangible. If the student is advancing quickly I suggest getting the gold seals. I'm a bit of a blade snob because I love my gold seal blades and wouldn't skate with anything else ever again! (When I got the blades everything from my jumps and spins to footwork improved 100%) If not the Pattern 99 or Coronation Aces are a good choice. These are all John Wilson blades. As far as MK professionals I had those before my gold seals. They were a decent blade. And when I got those I came from a blade without much of a toe pick so I think I remember landing on my face a few times :) But they got me through to my first double toe before I switched to the gold seals. What I would do is ask your coach. You can also go to www.skatesforless.net to see an illustration of each toe pick in reference to the blade. Hope this helps!
-K

Thanks. No, she isn't working on axels and I don't think she will be until about a year from now(maybe less?) I honestly am not 100% sure...but then again I don't think I could pinpoint the actual timeline anyway. LOL!

I agree, if I need to upgrade the blade, I will do that over buying her a complete set. I just hope these blades will be OK until she outgrows her skates. I'd rather buy new blades when I need to replace these skates. KWIM? Oh and considering she tripped whens he moved into her Jubilee blades, I imagine she will do the same when she changes to another blade. OOPS!

I'm just curious by how much a blade can make a difference in how a person jumps. I am sure I will learn!

Skittl1321
11-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm just curious by how much a blade can make a difference in how a person jumps. I am sure I will learn!

I can't answer you for jumps, but I can tell you a blade will make a huge difference in spins and turns. When I got out of the ultima mirages it almost felt like the good blades did the turns for me. And when I switched to the paramounts from the gold seals, it took me awhile to get the spins, but once I could I spun faster than I ever did before, with no additional work on my part- so it had to be equipment. They won't do the moves for you, but having the right equipment surely allows you to reach your full potential.

isakswings
11-17-2008, 11:05 AM
I can't answer you for jumps, but I can tell you a blade will make a huge difference in spins and turns. When I got out of the ultima mirages it almost felt like the good blades did the turns for me. And when I switched to the paramounts from the gold seals, it took me awhile to get the spins, but once I could I spun faster than I ever did before, with no additional work on my part- so it had to be equipment. They won't do the moves for you, but having the right equipment surely allows you to reach your full potential.

Thanks! I'll have to talk to her coach about this too...

CoachPA
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
If not the Pattern 99 or Coronation Aces are a good choice. These are all John Wilson blades.-K

You can also look into Cornation Comets, which are what most of my skaters who are about to begin axels and have strong single jumps have moved up to. These skaters are also around the Intermediate and higher level for MIF. The Comets aren't that much more than the Aces, but always listen to your coach or the skate professional who's fitting your skater. He/she should be able to guide you based on your skaters skill level and needs.

sk8tmum
11-17-2008, 02:57 PM
You can also look into Cornation Comets, which are what most of my skaters who are about to begin axels and have strong single jumps have moved up to. These skaters are also around the Intermediate and higher level for MIF. The Comets aren't that much more than the Aces, but always listen to your coach or the skate professional who's fitting your skater. He/she should be able to guide you based on your skaters skill level and needs.

Definitely it has to be the coach's call. Our kids are in Comets - b/c she prefers Pattern 99 over Gold Seal - and the rocker on the Comets makes an easier transition to the 99's. If you keep bouncing around from blade to blade with different rockers and pick patterns, it's harder than if you have a consistent progression.

isakswings
11-18-2008, 10:57 AM

Thanks! I suppose I can look into it more when she needs new skates. Her coach will likely have more of an opinion the next time she needs skates. Dd hasn't worked specifically on MITF yet, but will be soon. It's on the to-do list! Oh... most kids at her rink skate on professional blades. Isn't it funny how it varies from area to area?

isakswings
11-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Definitely it has to be the coach's call. Our kids are in Comets - b/c she prefers Pattern 99 over Gold Seal - and the rocker on the Comets makes an easier transition to the 99's. If you keep bouncing around from blade to blade with different rockers and pick patterns, it's harder than if you have a consistent progression.

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback! When it is time to buy dd new skates, I will ask her coach what blades to buy dd. Thanks again.

twokidsskatemom
11-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I would ask the coach, but its not up to the coach imo.When the coach pays, its up to the coach. When I pay, its up to our family.I ask for thoughts and suggestions but I do my research as well.

CoachPA
11-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I would ask the coach, but its not up to the coach imo.When the coach pays, its up to the coach. When I pay, its up to our family.I ask for thoughts and suggestions but I do my research as well.

Exactly!

I'll never forget my parents' reactions when my then-coach recommended that I, at eight years old and at the Preliminary freestyle level, be put on close to a $500 blade. 8O My parents, who always gave me the best equipment for my level (that they could afford, of course), flat out told my coach that there was no way they were paying that for blades, did their research, and talked to our skate fitter about more economical options. We ended up purchasing blades that both they and my coach were satisfied with...and that fit our skating budget a bit better.

As coaches, we can offer suggestions and recommendations, but ultimately its up to the skater and his or her family.

Mrs Redboots
11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
As coaches, we can offer suggestions and recommendations, but ultimately its up to the skater and his or her family.
Would you not consider it part of your profession to be able to advise skaters and their parents what is their best option in terms of value for money vs the skater's individual needs?

CoachPA
11-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Would you not consider it part of your profession to be able to advise skaters and their parents what is their best option in terms of value for money vs the skater's individual needs?

Of course, but what I meant is that coaches can only advise so much. Parents who cannot (or do not want to) spend hundreds of dollars for a specific blade will not, regardless of how much a coach recommends a certain boot or blade. I've seen this countless times.

Like twokidsskatemom said, when parents (or skaters pay), the decision is up to them whether they want to take the coach's advice or do their own research and find something that may not be the top of the line yet still appropriate for their skater's needs.

twokidsskatemom
11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Of course, but what I meant is that coaches can only advise so much. Parents who cannot (or do not want to) spend hundreds of dollars for a specific blade will not, regardless of how much a coach recommends a certain boot or blade. I've seen this countless times.

Like twokidsskatemom said, when parents (or skaters pay), the decision is up to them whether they want to take the coach's advice or do their own research and find something that may not be the top of the line yet still appropriate for their skater's needs.

I still have trouble understanding why some parents have blind faith in coaches.Coaches arent God,and they dont know everything.I have seen coaches with wrong times for music,kids in boots when dont need,kids with 10 lessons a week because the coach said so, and so on.They are no more perfect than you or I. That is why I as a parent, need to make sure I also am well informed and up to date on things.

That doesnt mean I dont ask for advice,I do. I respect a coaches words and experience, but also know I need to do the best for my family.I do research and then as a team we put our thoughts together.
In the end, its our money, and our skater.Same coach for almost 6 years so it works for us.

Skittl1321
11-19-2008, 02:09 PM
I still have trouble understanding why some parents have blind faith in coaches.

Because the coach says they have to? Seriously- I've seen some crazy possessive "must do it my way" coaches.

As for blades- coaches aren't pro shops. Some coaches have been skating on the same blades for decades. Theyknow what worked best for them, and they know what worked well for their other skaters, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have any expertise in determining which blades and boots are best for a particular skater.

isakswings
11-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Exactly!

I'll never forget my parents' reactions when my then-coach recommended that I, at eight years old and at the Preliminary freestyle level, be put on close to a $500 blade. 8O My parents, who always gave me the best equipment for my level (that they could afford, of course), flat out told my coach that there was no way they were paying that for blades, did their research, and talked to our skate fitter about more economical options. We ended up purchasing blades that both they and my coach were satisfied with...and that fit our skating budget a bit better.

Thanks and I agree. My dd won't need or get a blade that pricey! I paid 250 for her boots and blades this last time and I know the next set will be more since she will likely need a stiffer boot AND a better blade too. It's absolutely not in my budget to spend a lot on a pair of blades. Heck, I have to start budgeting now in order to afford her next pair of skates. :-)

isakswings
11-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I still have trouble understanding why some parents have blind faith in coaches.Coaches arent God,and they dont know everything.I have seen coaches with wrong times for music,kids in boots when dont need,kids with 10 lessons a week because the coach said so, and so on.They are no more perfect than you or I. That is why I as a parent, need to make sure I also am well informed and up to date on things.

That doesnt mean I dont ask for advice,I do. I respect a coaches words and experience, but also know I need to do the best for my family.I do research and then as a team we put our thoughts together.
In the end, its our money, and our skater.Same coach for almost 6 years so it works for us.

I also agree. That's why I love forums like this and the internet so I can research stuff on my own. I do feel like a fish out of water at times tho! I'm learning slowly! I think that's why some have "blind faith" in coaches. They figure they know what they are talking about and go with what they say or want. That's not me tho. I learned a long time ago(long before figure skating came along! LOL) to research and ask questions. It helps me to understand things better.

Anyway... thanks!

isakswings
11-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Because the coach says they have to? Seriously- I've seen some crazy possessive "must do it my way" coaches.

As for blades- coaches aren't pro shops. Some coaches have been skating on the same blades for decades. Theyknow what worked best for them, and they know what worked well for their other skaters, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have any expertise in determining which blades and boots are best for a particular skater.

You make a good point. Unfortunately for us, we have to rely on coaches and their opinions. That's as close as we get to having a pro shop. I think I would be in heaven if we could walk into a REAL proshop where dd could actually try on different boots to see what truly fits her the best. Dd skates in Riedells because we can have her fit for them locally. I'd honestly like to try Jackson boots(Freestyle or Competitor boot) but I don't know of anyone who can fit her for them. Like I said, I'd love a REAL pro shop... maybe someday we'll travel somewhere that has one around the time dd needs new skates and we can see what it is like to go to one. LOL!

Skittl1321
11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
isakswings- I know how you feel. There are no proshops in our state, either.

Isk8NYC
11-20-2008, 11:51 AM
isakswings- I know how you feel. There are no proshops in our state, either.
Where is Zach from Riedell when you need him? Riedell, Jackson, and the others need to get their hockey pro shops to support their figure skating products.

Sounds like a business opportunity.

isakswings
11-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Where is Zach from Riedell when you need him? Riedell, Jackson, and the others need to get their hockey pro shops to support their figure skating products.

Sounds like a business opportunity.

No kidding. I told dh if I had the resources, I would open up a skate shop here! I imagine it would do very well here. It kind of surprises me that we don't have a pro shop. With in a 15 min-1 hr, there are several ice rinks. I can think of 5 rinks at least. Oh well... :-) At least we are lucky enough to have year round rinks and several in the area.