View Full Version : Compression undergarments (sort of)

herniated
11-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Wanted to share a tip with you all. Maybe most of you all ready do this or know of this but as you all know (from my name) I have herniated disc(s) in my lower back. Very annoying and interferes with my skating/life tremendously.

Anyway, I started to wear while skating one of those high waisted and to the mid thigh undergarments. SPANX puts out the product and Maidenform puts several out too. I have the Maidenform one. Well.. I must say not only do I feel better while I am skating but I perform better and my back feels about 70% better!! So I went out and bought another one with regular leg openings (not mid thigh) so it can't be seen under dresses when I compete.

Patatty reminded me that runners wear these type of garments all the time(not SPANX or Maidenform:lol:) and there is research to support their effectiveness. So of course I did a little research myself. These types of garments help the muscles perform better and help them not to tire as quickly. AND, also help the muscles to recover more quickly when paired with elevating your feet after exercise!! Not that we all have the time to do that but thought it was very interesting. I do many exercises now to strengthen my back and abdominal wall but it just isn't enough. This has really helped me!!

stacyf419
11-16-2008, 10:38 AM
That is really good to know. I've been wearing a slightly-too-small Under Armour compression turtleneck when I practice and it just helps my back feel so much more supported. I didn't think to wear the spanx high-waisted which would support my lower back as well. I'm going to give it a try! Thanks...

Skate@Delaware
11-16-2008, 12:40 PM
wow! I will have to check them out; although I don't think my back re-herniated, ever since my surgery in February my back HURTS (although my leg feels so much better-go figure).

fsk8r
11-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Do they do these sorts of things for the upper back?
I'm getting a bit frustrated with sitting around off the ice with the back refusing to heal from the whiplash, so anything which will help things get better is worth investigating (although I'm starting to think that whilst the rest of me likes skating, the back is rather anti-skating).

herniated
11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Do they do these sorts of things for the upper back?
I'm getting a bit frustrated with sitting around off the ice with the back refusing to heal from the whiplash, so anything which will help things get better is worth investigating (although I'm starting to think that whilst the rest of me likes skating, the back is rather anti-skating).

Yeah, my back is anti-skating too. But to answer your question there are compression sports bras and as stacyf419 said she has a compression under armor turtleneck! Google compression garments and a whole bunch of options will show up.

Almost forgot... I searched a bit further and found compression tights by Danskin with the same benefits of compression running tights ect.!!! Of course I am going to try them out.

peanutskates
11-18-2008, 10:41 AM
wait, so is this like special 'compression' stuff, or that 'make your body look slim' underwear?

Sessy
11-18-2008, 01:39 PM
there's also some discussion whether compression stockings help with the leg muscles.

herniated
11-18-2008, 04:22 PM
wait, so is this like special 'compression' stuff, or that 'make your body look slim' underwear?

It's special 'make your body look slim underwear' :lol: But.. it works in the same way. At least for me it does. The tights are compression tights which I didn't get yet BTW.

AgnesNitt
11-18-2008, 07:35 PM
creeeakkk<atticdoor opens>
footsteps across a wooden floor,
creeak again but much softer <cedar chest opens>
sound of fabric shuffling==some grunting---"There it is! I found my girdle--sweetie you're back in fashion!"

Isk8NYC
11-18-2008, 07:45 PM
LOL - very funny.

I've worn body slimmers for skating shows because the costumes have always been for the hardbodied 20-somethings and the ones who THINK they're still in their 20's, lol. Imagine a short pink, boatneck chenille sweater and a pair of skintight lycra pants that fell down as I walked across the parking lot! ROFLOL That getup ended up weighing about 10 lbs more by the time I finished putting in all the safety pins! (Operative word: SAFETY! Didn't need any audience members going blind that night.)

When I was a hardbodied 20-something, I had a one-piece lycra unitard that I absolutely LOVED! It was too tight, but it made me feel so slinky (I've never been slinky) and comfortable (nothing bounced) that my skating improved!

peanutskates
11-19-2008, 03:30 AM
ok cool, cuz if the slimming stuff is cheaper...
now you've uncovered the secret, they'll start charging double lol ;)