View Full Version : AN question...been away a loooong time

skaterJ
11-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I'm just coming back to skating after being essentially off the ice for almost 8 years (had kids, life got busy).

Is AN now an event you have to qualify into? Or is it still open to any entrant who is over 25 etc.?

I dropped my USFSA membership...do my old test results still stand? I'd passed Bronze FS.

thanks for any help!

Skater J

flying~camel
11-15-2008, 07:58 PM
You only have to qualify for ANs if you want to skate in Championship Gold or Championship Masters, otherwise, it's open to anyone 21 or older who has passed at least the Bronze free skate test or 1 Pre-Bronze dance.

Even though you haven't had a USFS membership for a few years, your tests still stand, so, right now, you would qualify to skate Bronze in freestyle.

AN 2009 will be held in Grand Rapids, MI on April 22 - 25 and the event web site is www.ggrfsc.org/an09 (http://www.ggrfsc.org/an09).

I hope to see you in April! :)

skaterJ
11-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Cool! Wow, so I can just pick up essentially where I left off? Of course, I need to get my jumps back...I've got teeny little waltz jumps and a flip. Haven't had the guts to try a lutz yet, and loops always did scare me.

thanks for the good news update:)

Mel On Ice
11-16-2008, 10:06 AM
you may want to look for the well balanced program pdf over at US Figure Skating in case you need to redo an old program. First, the time has expanded for bronze from 1:40 to a 1:50 max. There is also a limit to how many jumps and how many spins you can do, and how many of those jumps you can repeat.

I'll try to find the link and repost.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Adult%20Singles%20WBP%20Chart.pdf

herniated
11-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I have a question.. sorry to bump in on this thread with another question. If one would be competeing at the Masters level is the age requirement still 21 and over?

Stormy
11-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a question.. sorry to bump in on this thread with another question. If one would be competeing at the Masters level is the age requirement still 21 and over?

Yup, you can't be under 21 for ANs, although many club competitions have Young Adult where it's 18+.

Isk8NYC
11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I dropped my USFSA membership...do my old test results still stand? I'd passed Bronze FS. Contact the USFSA to get your ID # if you don't have it. Then, use that number when you renew your membership through a Club or individually. Once you get the new card, go online and make sure your already-passed tests are registered. I had no problem - they even linked the dance test I don't remember taking, lol - but others have said they had to call and tell the USFSA where and when (club) the tests were passed.

I'm stuck in the "gotta get it back" zone. I passed ISI FS 5 when I skated, but I'm nowhere near that level anymore.

skaterJ
11-18-2008, 07:06 PM
you may want to look for the well balanced program pdf over at US Figure Skating in case you need to redo an old program. First, the time has expanded for bronze from 1:40 to a 1:50 max. There is also a limit to how many jumps and how many spins you can do, and how many of those jumps you can repeat.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Adult%20Singles%20WBP%20Chart.pdf

Thanks for that link. I was indeed planning on re-using an old program (I've got them all on video and my DH did the music, so I still have the mp3 files). Those rules seem more specific than what I remember, but it's possible that I just never knew--my coach or choreographer took care of what to put where anyhow.

I still have my USFSA membership card ... somewhere around here!

doubletoe
11-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Thanks for that link. I was indeed planning on re-using an old program (I've got them all on video and my DH did the music, so I still have the mp3 files). Those rules seem more specific than what I remember, but it's possible that I just never knew--my coach or choreographer took care of what to put where anyhow.

I still have my USFSA membership card ... somewhere around here!

No, it's not your imagination. Over the past two years they have become more specific and the jumps are more limited. Also, even though adults are still judged on 6.0 below Gold level, the new judging system has still affected the way elements are classified. The most important thing to know is that when they say each spin needs to be of a different nature, that means that--for example--you can't do two "combination spins with change of position but no change of foot", even if one is a layback-upright and the other is a camel-sit. Since they are both classified as combination spin with change of position and no change of foot (IJS code "CoSp"), they would not be considered spins of a different nature.
However, if you did one where you had a change of position and change of foot, that would be considered a different type of combination spin (CCoSp). Each single position spin (camel, sit, upright, layback) is considered its own type of spin and each single position spin with a change of foot is also considered its own type of spin.

techskater
11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Actually, a layback-upright is a change of upright spin, so it's of a different nature than a camel-sit-back sit.