View Full Version : Toe point

black
11-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Pointing the toe creates a much better line, and its something I have become aware of more since wearing slightly more fitted trousers; baggy trousers hide the boot.

I assume certain boots allow for more toe point than others? - has anybody modified their boots to allow more toe point?

fsk8r
11-15-2008, 07:34 AM
Pointing the toe creates a much better line, and its something I have become aware of more since wearing slightly more fitted trousers; baggy trousers hide the boot.

I assume certain boots allow for more toe point than others? - has anybody modified their boots to allow more toe point?

My dance coach cuts the backs of her boots down to allow for more toe point. I'm too scared to touch mine, but I need to do something as I physically can't point my toes because the boots dig into my calf when I attempt to.
I agree it gives a better line, but I'm unsure why they emphasise cut down boots for dancers and synchro skaters, but haven't made it a standard feature on all boots.

coskater64
11-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I wear a hinged boot that allows for full toe point, I used to wear dance boots with a higher heel and and dance backstay, or cut down area in the back of the boot.

The hinged boot requires a lot of ankle and foot strength to wear but it allows your ankle to move fully and allows for the toe to point. If you have good strength they work very well, they take a while to get used to but I find them very comfortable.

Boots with a higher heel and dance backstay are exactly the same as regular boots they work well but to get good toe point you really need to be able to crease your boots and think about maximizing your line, it mostly takes a lot of practice, like everything else.
8O

fsk8r
11-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Boots with a higher heel and dance backstay are exactly the same as regular boots they work well but to get good toe point you really need to be able to crease your boots and think about maximizing your line, it mostly takes a lot of practice, like everything else.
8O

I've heard this about creasing the boots before. Where does the crease form in the boots when you get the toe-point? I'm assuming it's a different crease to the one from knee bend because it's the opposite ankle movement.

Rusty Blades
11-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I switched to Proflex a bit over a year ago and my coach realized I had enough flex to point my toe. Now it's like a broken record doing spirals "POINT YOUR TOE" "I know you can do it, now POINT YOU TOE!" Sheesh! :roll:

phoenix
11-15-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree it gives a better line, but I'm unsure why they emphasise cut down boots for dancers and synchro skaters, but haven't made it a standard feature on all boots.

The cut down back takes away some of the ankle support needed for jump landings.

flo
11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
I bought dance boots this last round. They are lower all around and cut down in the back where they have an elastic insert. They also have dance scallops, which I typically had put in my fs boots. They are the same stiffness as my fs boots, so as far as support for my skating - lots of edges and a couple of doubles- they have plenty of support. I like the ability to really bend, can point my toes, and I no longer have a problem with my heel lifting up from the boot.

doubletoe
11-17-2008, 08:09 PM
I bought dance boots this last round. They are lower all around and cut down in the back where they have an elastic insert. They also have dance scallops, which I typically had put in my fs boots. They are the same stiffness as my fs boots, so as far as support for my skating - lots of edges and a couple of doubles- they have plenty of support. I like the ability to really bend, can point my toes, and I no longer have a problem with my heel lifting up from the boot.

Wow, that is very intriguing! I always end up having trouble with heel slippage in my landing boot once my boots are at their half-life and I'm really getting tired of it. I wonder if it would help to get dance boots so my heels don't have to slip up when I point my toes. . . Can you tell me more about your experience jumping in dance boots? What brand and model do you wear?

flo
11-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi,
Sure. I have the Jackson dance boots. I think they are the 3101 model. I tried on just about every pair of boots in the shop, and told Mike (Skater's Paradise) what I was looking for in a boot.
I was worried about the difference in boots and the support, but I put on the boots in the store and went out onto the ice and did a counter sequence. The one difference I did notice is that it sometimes feel like I'm skating against a trampoline in the back. You really learn to go down in the knees and not muscle your movements. Eagles took a bit to get use to as I was leaning back against the boot, but they're fine now. I also found that I can spin better - I think it's because I can feel and correct positions better.
Jumps are fine, I was worried about the support at first, but they're fine. I've done up to doubles in them. They are also working out well for throws.

One problem I have had is that it a little uncomfortable at the back of the boot where the leather meets the elastic cuff. When I get my next pair, I will ask them to put a flap or something over the seam. It's really nice to not have the problem of my heel rising out of the boot - it made me nuts! I don't think I'd go back to fs boots again.