View Full Version : Rude Awakening!

Swizzler
11-14-2008, 06:28 PM
I have a big competition coming up in the near future, so today my coach taped me doing my program. I sadly learned that the vision in my head (a graceful skater) does not quite match up to the reality of my skating (stiff and awkward). The amazing thing was that during the program I saw that I reverted to all my old bad habits that have been corrected during the hours of practice I have been putting in! Mood: Frustrated! :giveup:

Morgail
11-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I sympathize! I think everyone feels that way when they first see their own skating. I'm sure you look better than you think you do. On the first video I saw of myself, I couldn't get past how stiff I looked and the weird way my arms drifted around. After making new videos, those things faded and I could see the actual skating. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was. Plus, I learned to pay attention to my arms and bend my knees more :)

Sessy
11-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Besides the coach taped it so you could work on it before the competition. And rememeber you didn't get any worse in your actual skating, just your perception changed.

liz_on_ice
11-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Ugh, I know exactly how you feel. I could not believe the difference between what I feel and what I saw on tape. Dorky arms and legs, jumps you could barely slide a credit card under. :giveup::giveup::giveup:

Still, seeing it helps you fix it better than any amount of verbal corrections.

Isk8NYC
11-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Better to see it before the competition than after you get the expensive professional tape. If they're professionals, why don't all the skaters look AWESOME and PERFECT? sigh

coskater64
11-15-2008, 09:04 AM
That is what video is for...reminding you what you should be working on when you practice.:lol:

Mrs Redboots
11-15-2008, 09:05 AM
What I want to know is who on earth they are taping - that fat, bent-over old woman isn't me, surely? I'm sure I still look like I did in my 20s.... don't I?

Skittl1321
11-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Seeing yourself on tape the first time is hard. But I LOVE taping myself skating- and the reason why- is because even though none of them ever look good to me, when I go watch the OLD one, I think WOW! I have gotten so much better! So it does have that benefit.

herniated
11-15-2008, 04:09 PM
I hear you my friend. But the tape is your friend. Really, I agree with a lot of the others who posted...seeing yourself is the best teacher. And I agree with Skittl when you look back on the old ones!! Wow, it's great to see how much improvement there is.

liz on ice.. lol :lol: I love the line 'and jumps you can barely slide a credit card under' Love it and my feelings exactly when I see my jumps on film. Bleah.

Kim to the Max
11-15-2008, 04:21 PM
I agree with what others have said. Video is a good tool to figure out what is going right and wrong. I don't regularly tape myself, but I had one of the dads at the rink tape my axel on day...boy, let me tell you, it was worse than I thought, and I knew that it was bad!

.....here is the video if you are interested...it's in slo-mo (My bad, cheated axel... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK4GMRdxeNs))

looplover
11-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh yes I know what you mean !

It's so frustrating but so helpful at the same time. I saw a video of my scratch spin the other day and while it was actually a good spin, I'd thought my free leg had such a higher bent knee than it did! It looked so lame to me on the video but felt good on the ice.

Rusty Blades
11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
What I want to know is who on earth they are taping - that fat, bent-over old woman isn't me, surely? I'm sure I still look like I did in my 20s.... don't I?

You to? Don't know where these "substitutes" come from and disappear to so fast - darmn, I never even saw that person come on the ice!

The only thing I told my coach is "No video within a month of competition!" I need to hang on to my dillusion if I am going to get out there in front of all those people, cameras, and judges. Show me how bad it was AFTER it's over!

Isk8NYC
11-16-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm telling you people: there's an alternate dimension that opens up on the ice. It allows unskilled people to think they're doing great things and video professionals to film the bizarro-skater version of you when you do well. j/k lol

We're lucky to be able to have videos taken of our skating. We can snap a sit spin from our cameraphones now. I remember when the guys recording competitions came with a vanful of equipment.

stacyf419
11-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I got my video from Halloween Classic yesterday and I've been really depressed ever since. I even briefly contemplated giving up competing for a few minutes yesterday. Everything looks so bad and so different from what's in my head. Even worse, I see what my body looks like- I am never wearing another dress again where I can't wear a massively supportive bra. I looked like someone had shoved 2 grapefruits down my dress right before I skated!! Uggghhhhh...

Isk8NYC
11-16-2008, 12:32 PM
I sympathize Stacy - I'm very top-heavy and it's frustrating. Ah well, three breastfed kids later, what can you do?

I once had a male coach tell me to buy a support bra for competitions. I was embarrassed, but he was right.

The best way to watch videos of yourself is while you're doing something else. It's far less painful that way. Eventually, you get over the disappointment and think of it as a learning (http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/Skating/?action=view&current=Sit-chg-SitWeakBackSit.flv) experience (http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/Skating/?action=view&current=ScratchSpin.flv). (And a reminder that I still have 75 lbs to go (http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c127/Isk8NYC/Skating/?action=view&current=LoopyLoops.flv)...)

Swizzler
12-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Postscript: I battled the nerves and did the competition. The shock of the video prompted me to practice my program like crazy, and it paid off -- although very nervous, I managed to get through it without looking like I was quaking in my boots and skated all my elements with some semblance of grace. :lol: Now I can't wait for the next competition!

Thin-Ice
12-11-2008, 02:15 AM
CONGRATULATIONS... on both your performance and your determination ahead of time to make your performance the best you could!

Sessy
12-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm telling you people: there's an alternate dimension that opens up on the ice. It allows unskilled people to think they're doing great things and video professionals to film the bizarro-skater version of you when you do well. j/k lol

Strangely, the alternate dimension seems to extend to people by the boardings as well, determined from the fact that people can think they're videotaping professionals and then upon review, not 1 frame of the film can be in-focus. This also has the tendency to happen to the 1 well-landed jump, flawless performance, etc.