View Full Version : layback and camel help

xofivebyfive
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Can you guys please help me? I try so hard to lean back on my layback but I just can't seem to get any further. And I fall too much on the inside edge with my camel spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDQ0PBm_yc

Morgail
11-13-2008, 08:49 PM
When I get the falling on the inside edge issue with camels, a combination of these three things helps me: 1) look to the left, 2) think about pulling my right leg back (or think of it as "stacking" your hips one on top of the other), and 3) don't let the left shoulder droop, hold it up (it helps me to keep my left arm down in front of my left leg, palm flat, elbow bent). Even though it sounds odd, I think the last one has helped the most.

As for laybacks, I'm no help since I can't lean back very much at all yet!

Stormy
11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
On my layback, I always try to think of pushing my hips as forward as I can. That helps since I have a lot of trouble leaning back too. I think you have a GREAT camel!! And a nice camel catch. :) One thing I noticed is you don't wait long enough to jump in your flying camel. You want to think about waiting as long as you can to jump it, right now it looks more of a hop into the flying camel. I think of it as a snap around, rather than a hop over.

BTW, I watched your stretching videos the other night and those are already helping me since I have a big goal to increase my flexibility a LOT, so thank you!

flo
11-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Hi there,
I would suggest that you take your time on the layback. First, step in with some power and center the spin with your free leg extended to the front or slightly to the side. Then, lift your rib cage to elongate the torso, and push your hips forward while dropping your shoulders and head back (think of picking up a puppy out of a crib, clearing the crib rail, and bringing it back to you to give it a hug.) Your free leg will also be brought back and behind you. Remember that the weight of your head and free leg will counterbalance your forward hips. Think of your head, shoulders, his and finally free leg as forming a big C.

Keep practicing - you'll get it!

vesperholly
11-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Layback: There are two things wrong with this spin.

1. You aren't getting back at all because your skating leg is completely straight. Practice at the boards by standing about a foot away, then pushing your hips forward to touch the boards, and arch your back.

2. Your free leg is too far out to the side. It's pulling you off balance and making it difficult to center the spin. Think about curling it behind you. My coach tells me to think of standing in front of a telephone pole, and to wrap my leg around it. It's really easy to think only about the upper body in this spin, but really it's 90% lower body.

Camel spin: Truly not bad at all. I see a few things to improve on. Your back creeps up in the spin, forcing you to drop your free leg. You're also not holding your left arm back strongly enough. Try to think of reaching straight back for your right foot.

Don't let your free leg come out to the side, really squeeze your butt and get it behind you. I like to practice camel position at the boards. Stand with the boards on your left. Go down into a camel position, with your left shoulder and your right foot touching the top of the boards. This simultaneously forces your left shoulder up and your right leg back.

Lots of potential here for really great spins! :)

techskater
11-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Camel spin - finish "clearing the dishes in one sweep from the table" when you go in meaning to finish the circle your left arm starts creating on the entry before you step up. It's not just about pulling it back once you start spinning.

Layback - it almost looks like you are pushing your hips *back* when you try and lean back. As many others have already mentioned, you need to push your hips forward because THAT is what creates the spin. Also, when you start to push your hips forward, you need to balance the slice of pizza on your leg and your arms should be over your chest, not your head so that when you do get your hips forward, then end up in the natural classic layback position. Your arms will also throw you off your center.

flying~camel
11-14-2008, 10:04 AM
The layback is currently my best spin (and the camel is my worst!), but it took me a couple of years before I got it to where it is now.

One of the things that helped me balance the lay back and remember to push my hips forward, was to put the backs of my hands against the small of my back as I started to lean back into the position.