View Full Version : Taking the PSA Basic Accreditation Exam

CoachPA
11-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm a full member of the PSA and would like to take my Basic Accreditation soon, however the requirements for taking the exam don't quite match up depending on which information (from the PSA) is correct or most up-to-date.

RATING REQUIREMENTS - GENERAL
(Effective July 1st, 2008)
BASIC ACCREDITATION (BA) RATING EXAM REQUIREMENTS:
1. Must be an associate, intern or full member of the PSA.
2. Must have attended a PSA approved education program within one year prior to writing the exam.

Being that I haven't attended a PSA approved education program--and likely won't within this year--that requirement would make me ineligible to take the exam; however, on the PSA's website under "The Professional Skaters Association High Performance Learning Management System" page (https://psa.prosperitylms.com/req/psa_student/), you can register to take the BA Rating Exam as an online course for $45. Here the requirements are slightly different:

BASIC ACCREDITATION (BA) RATING EXAM REQUIREMENTS: 1. Must be an associate, intern or full member of the PSA. 2. Must have attended a PSA approved educational program within one year prior to writing the exam or Have an affidavit on file at the PSA Office or Have completed a minimum of four (4) PSA online e-learning courses.

What's confusing me are all the "ORs". If I go with the requirements listed for the online BA Exam's page, I am eligible to take exam (online, I assume, which is what I'd like to do) as I am a full member of the PSA and have completed the minimum of four PSA online e-learning courses.

Since the PSA seems to be making attaining educational credits easier by allowing its members to take PSA courses on-line and receive education without having to leave home, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as its website claims, does this mean that my four e-learning courses fill (or substitute) my attendance of a PSA approved educational program taken within one year of the writing of the exam therefore making me eligible to take my BA? After all, the PSA does say that while "e-learning does not replace traditional methods of learning, it is simply another option added to our over 100 PSA educational programs offered each year."

Sorry, if I'm making this more complicated than it actually is. I'm just hoping someone can help me sort out all these requirements. :giveup:

Isk8NYC
11-09-2008, 09:35 AM
It is confusing. You CAN attend a state workshop or similar one-day PSA educational event AND TAKE the BA exam right after it ends, on the same day.

I went to the USFSA/PSA Basic Skills workshop last year and they gave the exams during lunch to save time, but the requirement was fulfilled anyway.

As for the online change, I guess they believe that taking the four courses online in advance is the same thing as attending an conference/workshop.

The PSA is very good about getting back to people. Try sending them an email for clarification.

Let us know what the reply is from the PSA.

jskater49
11-09-2008, 11:43 AM
You can also take an online class. My daughter called and asked and was told that.

j

CoachPA
11-09-2008, 11:48 AM
You can also take an online class. My daughter called and asked and was told that.

j

Those would be the four e-learning courses I've already taken, so I should be good on the requirements then. I e-mailed the PSA a little bit ago and I'm still waiting on a reply.

sk8lady
11-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Where did you send your email? If you don't hear back in the next day or two try Carol Rossignol--she was extremely helpful to me when I was trying to work out whether or not I was eligible to take my Registered group exam.

CoachPA
11-10-2008, 05:31 PM
Where did you send your email? If you don't hear back in the next day or two try Carol Rossignol--she was extremely helpful to me when I was trying to work out whether or not I was eligible to take my Registered group exam.

I was debating between Carol and Angela Riviello. I figured I'd try Angela first since she was listed as a contact for Ratings; however, I haven't heard anything from her, so I'll definitely shoot Carol a quick e-mail. Good to know she was so helpful!

CoachPA
11-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Well, the PSA got back to me last night. Carol Rossignol forwarded my e-mail on to Vikki Lampros, who sent me back the following message:

Carol Rossignol has asked me to cheerfully answer your email.

Your answers are after your questions below.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.

1. Does the completion of 4 e-learning courses fulfill the requirement for attendance at a PSA approved education program within one year of taking the exam?
Yes, this completes the requirements that you need to take the BA.

2. If I register online for "Basic Accreditation - 100" Online Course for $45, would the materials include a BA studyguide, which I could access for 90 days?
Yes, you will be able to print out the study guide and have access to taking the exam for 90 days.

3. Is the "Basic Accreditation - 100" Online Course the actual exam? Can I take the exam online or do I need to take it at a workshop, conference, etc?
Yes, the exam is listed as: BA-100-Basic Accreditation -100.You can take this exam online, after you meet the requirements with either the 4 e-learning courses or an onsite educational program like a workshop, conference, etc.

Looks like I'll be taking my BA Exam online within the next three months then! :) Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone!

CoachPA
01-26-2009, 10:06 AM
I passed my BA Exam today!
:mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Honestly, the majority of the questions weren't that difficult. There were a few here and there that were worded strangely and I had to go back to those ones and spend a bit more time thinking them through.

I ended up with an 88% with 19 minutes left on the clock. Perhaps if I could have taken a bit more time, LOL!

I took notes on my study guide afterwards on the types of questions on the exam. While I'm not going to post the actual questions here, I will give an approximate breakdown from each section (out of the 100 questions):

Ethics: 10
Biomechanics: 8
Nutrition: 10
Sports Medicine: 10
Sports Psychology: 14
Weight Training: 10
Basic skating techniques/turns: About 35 or so

Although there is no (or little) information on the study guide pertaining to basic skating techniques and the turns, the questions relate to very basic skating techniques; beginner level dance; three-turns and mohawks; and edge questions (for gliding, stroking, etc.).

For anyone sitting on the fence about whether or not to take this exam, please do! I took it online through the PSA and it was not at all intimidating or overly difficult by any means.

Thanks to everyone on here who shared their own tips, advice and experience with this exam. :bow:

Now on to the Sports Science & Medicine Exam and (eventually) those orals!

Mrs Redboots
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Congratulations!

twokidsskatemom
01-26-2009, 04:26 PM
congrats:bow::bow:

sk8lady
01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
Congratulations!