View Full Version : Necklace and Skating

waittoskate
11-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Hello,

My daughter was given a gold skate on a chain by her old coach to wear during competitions. (The coach wore it when she was skating). The chain is a bit long but today when she tried it, it came out of her dress during a spin and was distracting her. I know that many Sr Skaters wear chains when skating. Can someone give me some advice about how to do this safely? I think we need to shorten the chain but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

flo
11-06-2008, 08:37 PM
How sweet of the coach. Can it be tucked into her dress?

Isk8NYC
11-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Can you fasten the clasp to a chain link itself? I've done that, leaving a bit of a tail, when a necklace was too long for the neckline of what I was wearing.

Or, have her put it on, then shorten it in place by doubling (or tripling) the excess along the necklace. Then put a bit of tape around the excess, binding it in place.

I used to skate with a friend who pinned a saint's medal (not Ludwina, her name saint) inside her skating dress at every competition for good luck.

ibreakhearts66
11-07-2008, 01:55 AM
Maybe tuck the necklace inside the dress, then pin it in place? I'm not too sure how well that would work though. Your best bet would probably be to get a new, shorter chain. I have a necklace I wear when I skate, and the chain is short enough that it doesn't distract me even if it isn't tucked in.

Or, she could wear the necklace backwards. What I mean is chain tightish along the front of her neck then have the skate tucked in to the back of her dress. Then, even if it comes untucked, it shouldn't be distracting. It wouldn't be particularly pretty though. Sorry it's not a very good idea :roll:

Mrs Redboots
11-07-2008, 04:23 AM
I always wear a necklace of some kind or another in competition; it doesn't distract me, although I can see how it would if I wasn't used to it - perhaps the secret is to wear it every session, so eventually she will be used to it and not notice it any more!

Skittl1321
11-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I would think pinning it to the inside of the dress is the best bet (pin it loosely- not as low as it can go- so that the dress can still stretch without pulling on her neck)

I never understand how elite skaters wear chains the way they do. There are quite a few pictures of Johnny Weir being smacked in the face by large charms. Seems very uncomfortable.

AgnesNitt
11-07-2008, 08:09 AM
You could use body tape and tape the necklace to her chest. The tape is usually found on dance or costume websites.