View Full Version : Which one famous skate would you have loved to have for a Learn to Skate Coach?

FSWer
11-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Say,I don't think we've ever talked about this. But if you could have had just one famous skater for a Learn to Skate Coach...who would it have been? Please name only one. For me...ummmm,I'd say Kimmie Meissner. As I know she's had at least talked with Basic Skills before.

Mrs Redboots
11-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Thing is, when you are in Learn-to-Skate, you don't know who would make a good coach and who wouldn't, so you'd be apt to want whoever was really good that year.....

techskater
11-05-2008, 08:06 PM
I don't know that a famous skater would be a good choice for LTS. I'd want someone who can break it down, so to speak.

blackmanskating
11-09-2008, 07:48 PM
I've learned through experience that not all great skaters make great coaches. So I would love to see what a coach like Tarasova would have to say to a noob like me. I wonder if she could offer anything insightful that would help.

BlackManSkating

montanarose
11-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Hey, Tae -- Welcome back! Have you recovered from your injury? Are you still thinking about Adult Nationals?

It's good to see you back here on the boards.

blackmanskating
11-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks so much!!! It's really great to be back. Yeah the knee and ankle injury is all good to go now. I got back out there on the ice and my axel is back. Double sal is kinda there. (A little cheated) Glad to see that I haven't lost too much. I've gained a ton of weight though!!! It's making me feel really heavy when I land jumps. It can't be good for my knee so I gotta get that together before nationals. Not even sure I can fit my costume now!! 8O LOL But If I pass this silver MITF before January 15th, I'll be at Nats. If not, then back to the drawing board to prep my competition debut for next year. :frus:

BlackManSkating

Rusty Blades
11-10-2008, 04:53 AM
Well it isn't quite LTS but I had a great lesson with Elizabeth Manley (1988 Olympic Silver) in September and some very positive effects on my skating. I think I am too old to have her as a regular coach (she'd KILL me!) but it was fun for one session.

Isk8NYC
11-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Welcome back BMS.

I was talking to Richie at Mennan last week and we think that Hans Gerschwiler lives in North Carolina - he loved golf apparently and wanted to move south to golf more often when he retired. (Ooo...maybe Manleywoman could interview him; that could be interesting!)

If Gerschwiler were offering lessons (haven't seen anything about that at the rinks), I would definitely want to take figures and footwork with him in a heartbeat.

isakswings
11-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know who I'd pick, but I'd love to have dd take a few lessons from Jozef Sabovcik(1984 Olympic Bronze medalist). He lives near by and I'd love to have him teach her a lesson.

MQSeries
11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I've learned through experience that not all great skaters make great coaches. So I would love to see what a coach like Tarasova would have to say to a noob like me. I wonder if she could offer anything insightful that would help.

I would love to hear/see how an ice-dancer like TT or Morosov teaches single skaters. I don't imagine that they would take on a non-elite skater though. Don't seem like they would have the time/patient to do that.